Friday Night Steel ERR... Motorcycle Gymkhana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you be interested in trying Motorcycle Gymkhana in Indy?

• Total voters

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1. I think I'm in love.

2. I want to participate.

3. This gives me a reason to purchase Honda's new 250.

If I can help in any way, please let me know! I will try and follow this thread but even if I can't assist, I would appreciate it if you guys would let me know when you get your first track set up.

I would start in a minute if we can get a few folks together and sort out the details. We still have to have a location...

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's impressive! Loving the MX bars on the CBR too. :yesway:

I know! The cool part about this is that most of the skills would translate well to the street, because they're "low speed" (i.e. less than 55 mph) maneuvers that people could use. Most people won't practice a low speed swerve, braking, etc., but this could actually make practice fun!

I'm wondering if the proliferation of MX bars is due to the more upright riding position. Seems like there is a lot of counterbalancing of the bike in these courses, and the more upright position makes that easier. I'd think clip-ons and a more forward position would make counterbalancing (or at least moving your body in and out of position rapidly) more difficult.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I know! The cool part about this is that most of the skills would translate well to the street, because they're "low speed" (i.e. less than 55 mph) maneuvers that people could use. Most people won't practice a low speed swerve, braking, etc., but this could actually make practice fun!

I'm wondering if the proliferation of MX bars is due to the more upright riding position. Seems like there is a lot of counterbalancing of the bike in these courses, and the more upright position makes that easier. I'd think clip-ons and a more forward position would make counterbalancing (or at least moving your body in and out of position rapidly) more difficult.

Leverage is probably a big reason too. Sportbikes have a fair amount of trail for stability at higher speeds, and for this type of stuff that stability makes it a bit harder to throw around.

The interesting thing is he isn't doing alot of moving around on the bike like you'd see a racer do. His but stays pretty firmly planted in the seat.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    As far as venues go.

Dreyer on Washington has a fairly large parking lot out back. They may be interested in sponsoring something like this since it's right up their alley.

I also think it would be something fun to do. :) The old katana is heavy, but I bet she could hustle some cones.

EDIT: I'm a dummy. It's an abate course, but I don't think they're always doing abate stuff there.

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.759445,-86.233218&spn=0.004362,0.004812&t=h&z=18

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...The cool part about this is that most of the skills would translate well to the street, because they're "low speed" (i.e. less than 55 mph) maneuvers that people could use. Most people won't practice a low speed swerve, braking, etc., but this could actually make practice fun!

^^^ THIS is why I shoot competition with all you bad asses, that I really cannot compete with. The same would go for riding...

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

I think this just goes to show that you could have a lot of diversity in classes, and still be really competitive. This guy is an awesome rider, and really throws around a very heavy bike with ease. I'm sure all of us mere mortals will look slow compared to him when we start, but it never hurts to practice!

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is a video of some folks starting the same thing, but starting out very small:

[ame]http://youtu.be/O1JLGzDUh4w[/ame]

Seems kinda silly really, but I've got to admit that it'd be fun to practice and keep score :)

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm just getting ready to take off for a trip down to Tennessee on the bike. Wish me luck! Hopefully we can keep building interest to try this and find a parking lot where we can get started.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Update:

I went out and goofed around this morning until my clutch hand hurt... I'm convinced we can make a go of this if we can find a parking lot where a few of us can goof around.

I also created a thread on Adventure Rider:

Indianapolis Motorcycle Gymkhana; Let's get this started! - ADVrider

I'll keep trying to drum up some support and find a place to practice. Let me know if anybody has any leads!

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I dont think i could do it on a motorcycle but Id try it in a car I love watching ken block that dude is so smooth

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8[/ame]

Top Bottom