• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattyboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Clark county
    People always ask me "why do you want to carry a firearm? Its not like you will ever need it in your life" My response to this question is 1. It is my constitutional right to carry a firearm 2. I would much rather have a firearm and not need it than need a firearm and not have it 3. I will now be able to tell them this story which happened to one of my best friends last night.

Just to let you all know, we are both under 18 so we cannot legally obtain an LTCH yet.

My friend mentioned above went to a McDonalds last night at around midnight in the Valley Station area of Dixie Highway in Louisville, Kentucky(I know this is the Indiana Gun owners forum, but I live in Indiana and he lives in Louisville). He was with his girlfriend and on their way to McDonalds they were confronted by two African American teenagers who were both carrying handguns(illegally of course) and asked them how much money they had on them. My friend usually has an extremely quick temper, but thinkfully he kept his cool and he kept his head on straight and responded to them by saying that they had no money on them. Thankfully these idiots left them alone after that and no one was hurt. I can't tell you how thankful I am that neither him or his girlfriend were hurt in a situation that could have gone very sour, very fast. This just backs up my point of the need to carry a firearm and that there are bad people out there with firearms who intend to hurt people they have no affiliation with. It scares me so much to think that my friends mom who has become like family to me could have been going through mothers day today without her son.

mattyboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Clark county
    He said he knew that they were both teenagers under the age of 18. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have to be 18+ to be able to carry in Kentucky.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm very glad that your friends were not hurt. I understand every situation cannot be avoided, but still we must always be aware of our surroundings.

I know your friend isn't on INGO, but I would like to know how if the guns were presented and what he would have done if he had a gun? Did he make a police report and give any kind of description beyond the fact they were African-American? Sometimes robbers will stay in the area if they believe the police will not be called.

mattyboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Clark county
    I honestly don't know what he would have done if he was carrying. He has only shot once or twice and is honestly not to familiar with firearms. I think the most important thing ivolving the possibility of carrying is being aware of your surroundings. Its hard to tell what would have happened if he would have been able to carry legally and was carrying. I don't know very many of the details as I have only talked to his dad about it because my friend is probably shook up and still asleep. What I have gathered is that he recognized the two teenagers and knew their first names only. The police were called immediately, but they could not find the guys. My friends dad is calling the districts major soon to try to give him so more info on the guys.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I honestly don't know what he would have done if he was carrying. He has only shot once or twice and is honestly not to familiar with firearms. I think the most important thing ivolving the possibility of carrying is being aware of your surroundings. Its hard to tell what would have happened if he would have been able to carry legally and was carrying. I don't know very many of the details as I have only talked to his dad about it because my friend is probably shook up and still asleep. What I have gathered is that he recognized the two teenagers and knew their first names only. The police were called immediately, but they could not find the guys. My friends dad is calling the districts major soon to try to give him so more info on the guys.

Well, at least he knew them and hopefully they will be in jail soon. That is probably why they got the "jump" on him. Still, I'm glad you recognize the importance of situational awareness and I hope your friend gets through the trauma of what happened to him.

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bad situation, luckily ended well. Another weapon in the formula may/may not have had as positive an outcome to the situation. Sounds like your friend's cool head was the optimum resolution. Nonetheless chilling in it's possibilities.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    People always ask me "why do you want to carry a firearm? Its not like you will ever need it in your life"

My response would be, you don't go buy a fire extinguisher hoping for the day your house is on fire. Or getting a first aid kid in your car waiting for the chance to stop yourself from bleeding in a car accident.

mattyboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Clark county
    How do you think it would have been different if he'd been carrying?

I'm not sure how it would have been different in all honesty. Considering the fact that there were two armed robbers who most likely surprised them, him carrying could have made the situation worse for both parties involved. In my opinion he did what was best to do and that was to just keep calm, give them what they wanted, and get out of there as soon as they could. The reason for my sentence about carrying at the top was put there because so many people say that there is no need to carry a firearm because you will never be put in a situation where you would need one and I pray to God that I never am put in a situation like that, but if I am I want to be prepared to protect myself and those around me.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    well kid ( no offense intended ) it sounds like you have got a decent head on your shoulders and we here at ingo are glad that you have made a decision to protect yourself. As for your friend, maybe now would be a good idea to talk to him about his quick temper, how and what to look for when out and about to help avoid these type of situations.....oh and welcome to Ingo.

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Did they actually try and rob him or just ask him how much money he had on him? I was walking down the street in St Louis a few weeks ago and got asked by every other bum if I had any money on me but I didnt take that as they were attempting to rob me.

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Most importantly, if you or your friend intend to carry when you're 18, you both need to train and practice with a gun. You said your friend had only fired a gun once or twice. My guess is if he actually did have a gun and tried to use it, things would have gotten really ugly really fast.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you always draw it when confronted. The goal is always for no one to need to fire a shot.

Welcome to INGO!! Keep learning and keep training.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Did the two perpetrators ASK for money, or DEMAND money? That's a huge difference.

Not sure how Kentucky legislates it, but likely it's similar to Indiana.

How did he KNOW they had guns? Did they brandish the guns? This would be 'intimidation' in Indiana.

If they demanded money (by their tone and/or demeanor, not necessarily just by their exact words), then it would be considered a armed robbery (whether they pointed or even drew the guns), at least in Indiana.

Panhandling is a much less serious crime than armed robbery. IF that's the case, OF COURSE they were carrying illegally. There is no way, in Indiana or any other State, to 'legally' carry while committing a crime.

IF they had the guns openly displayed (OC'ing) or made it obvious in some manner even IF concealed, then their actions would not be trying to 'bum' money, but an armed robbery.

In Indiana, even just TELLING someone you have a gun, even if you do not, is sufficient to elevate the crime to armed robbery.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Most importantly, if you or your friend intend to carry when you're 18, you both need to train and practice with a gun. You said your friend had only fired a gun once or twice. My guess is if he actually did have a gun and tried to use it, things would have gotten really ugly really fast.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you always draw it when confronted. The goal is always for no one to need to fire a shot.

Welcome to INGO!! Keep learning and keep training.

When the hair stands up on the back of your neck do you draw now or draw later?
    I say now.
    Trust your instincts but keep your head.
    Intimidating body language.
    Rough neighborhood.
    Visible firearms.
    My girl is behind me drawing her own weapon and watching my back as I make mine easily accessable.

Then make conversation to ascertain the intentions of the suspected trouble.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Did they actually try and rob him or just ask him how much money he had on him? I was walking down the street in St Louis a few weeks ago and got asked by every other bum if I had any money on me but I didnt take that as they were attempting to rob me.

Sounds like his friend was thoroughly spooked by the encounter. You gotta trust your instincts. Normalcy bias in a dangerous situation will hurt you.
    Don't be afraid to have a conversation with anybody, though. It humanizes you to them and vice versa. Harder for most people to hurt someone they're having a normal conversation with unless they're just bent on destruction from the start.:twocents:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I dont really understand what happened. Ive never heard of anyone being robbed get let off by saying," i dont have any cash on me". Did they point the weapons at him? Were they holding them in their hands or did he just notice them on them?

Top Bottom