• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks Annie. I wish I had some fantastic story to tell about why I own firearms now but I don't really think it's anything awesome.

I hated guns growing up. I don't really know why. My dad owned one but I didn't actually know that until I was an adult. As far as I knew, we didn't have any in the house. When dad died, the gun was given to my brother-in-law I think. I hated guns up until a few years ago. I even went so far as to NOT purchase ammo that was on someone else's birthday/Christmas list.

A few years ago I started studing martial arts, Isshinryu. It was actually during that time that I figured out that firearms were just an extension of my fighting capability. On our own body, we have many weapons. Then using things such as sai, bo, kamas, swords, etc we have now just added additional weapons. It was during this time that I realized that a firearm is the same really as these other weapons that I use in karate. Granted, you don't normally walk around carrying these other weapons but I learned how to use them which then took away my fear of them. A bo is a wooden stick or a broom, pool stick, rake, etc. I can now use one of them to defend myself as well. I actually have several sitting by my front door. Most people would just consider them to be what they were meant to be. I, on the other hand, know what I can do with them.

The same goes for firearms. I may or may not be carrying all the time but I am now no longer afraid to have them in my home. I also quite enjoy shooting them at the range. I absolutely love the AR. Who in the world would have dreamed that I would have found the black rifle to be my favorite. :)

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    from another womans perspective

contrary to the above...I AM impressed with the power of guns, and always have been. geesh generalized statements annoy me.
    good for her btw and nice find but it doesn't apply to every female out there.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I like these articles and think that they give a really good look into the way that a lot of women feel. Thanks for posting them.

Although I didn't grow up with guns per se, my dad always had a shotgun and .22 rifle in the house. My brothers were taught to shoot but not me or my sister. My late husband introduced me to shooting in my middle 20's and I have never stopped. I have CC'd since then and plan to have my favorite side arm next to me when I leave this world.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Thanks for the posts and the bump!

:+1: My dad was totally against guns, even toy guns, due to his time in Viet Nam. He broke down when I was in high school and got a BB gun and eventually a .22 rifle for skunk control. My ex husband gets the credit for helping me to get into guns though. They were important to him, I wanted to share an interest with him and found I genuinely enjoyed them for myself :D

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's been a year. We have some new women members so I'm going to give this a bump. :)

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks spasmo! I'll be reading these articles as soon as I get to a real computer, and not on my phone.

Top Bottom