• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The hunt has apparently ended with Christopher Dorner burned to a crisp. Now we are left to contemplate the long-term consequences of not only his actions, but also those of the police, and the effect these actions may have on the future recognition of rights that are properly ours.

The first major concern is that the hunt was carried out apparently without apprehension of the suspect even being a consideration. All indicators suggest that the hunt was intended to end in Dorner's death. How does this affect the rest of us? I anticipate that just as with no-knock warrants, asset forfeiture, and significant license with the Fourth Amendment before it, this will result in a new standard in which most anyone who is wanted will be shot on sight if he does not proactively turn himself in. It may not happen immediately, but if there is not a serious pushback against what happened over the last few days, we will see the time when as soon as a person is declared wanted it will be a race. If he manages to turn himself in before he is located, he will get the right-turned-privilege of having a fair trial, a jury, and the right to confront his accusers. If he loses the race, he gets killed. It seems like a stretch, but let's not forget that asset forfeiture was supposed to affect only drug 'kingpins' who could use their untold millions to defeat our legal system either through exploiting the weaknesses in the law known only to the best and most expensive of lawyers and bankrupt local governments with the cost of repetitive appeals. We see how that worked out. No-knock warrants were originally sold to us as a special tool for use only in the rarest of cases on the most dangerous of criminals. Today, it is the standard method of serving a warrant, if you can call it that with a straight face. Allowing exceptions to the Fourth Amendment started only under the most unusual of circumstances. Today, it is almost a joke to say that we have any such protection. That said, why should I not worry about anyone who is wanted eventually being in danger of getting gunned down on sight?

The second issue is the callous disregard for public safety demonstrated in this situation. Given that I have addressed the subject repetitively and exhaustively, I am not going into a lot of detail, but the fact remains that it is completely unacceptable to allow the police to open fire and empty magazines on citizens who are not involved in any way with the suspect, nor are they in anything approaching close proximity with the suspect. If this is not stopped firmly and immediately, we are opening the door to being greeted with a hail of bullets any time a cop gets the heebie-jeebies. I should think the implications obvious for the danger both for the physical well-being of the population and any pretense of liberty in a free republic. It would be a truly hard sell to convince any thinking person that living in danger of randomly being fired upon is compatible with any pretense of freedom.

The third, although not entirely separate from the second, is the implications of search, denial of access to property, and the intrusive searches of travelers with guns drawn. I fail to understand how a reasonable suspicion can be demonstrated with anyone and everyone who happens to be in a general geographic area. Even if there is, how in the universe can anyone justify drawing down on passers-by for having the bad fortune to live in the general area with such an incident? Searching homes en masse would also seem to be quite the problem issue. This didn't seem to miss by far a new standard of the police being able to do whatever the hell they feel like under any unusual circumstances that don't give them the warm fuzzies. It would seem that except under deliberate misinterpretation, the Fourth Amendment does not condone this.

The fourth issue is that of due process. The subject of the obvious fact that this hunt was intended to end in execution from the beginning has already been addressed at length. Significantly, this is the first manhunt in the United States that was launched as an execution without the thinnest pretense of apprehension being held as the preferable alternative aside from a few soundbites from the PD spokespersons. Take this in combination with the official decision that using drones to kill US citizens without any due process beyond the decision of one political hack with no burden of proof and no recourse is perfectly proper and the more ominous provision of the NDAA, and I am left to wonder how anyone could feel safe and comfortable.

This leaves us with the one important question: How do we, within the scope of political means, prevent this display of flagrant disregard for public safety and the ostensible reason for the existence of police departments from becoming commonplace? Suggestions have been raised for better training and criminal charges where appropriate, but I am satisfied that this is a problem deeper than the malfeasance of a select few individuals. Suggestions for a large-scale solution? I would also offer the caution that we cannot allow the fact that Dorner does not inspire sympathy to affect our judgment. He may be a poor poster child, but the fact remains that the issue is not about him, but rather the proper function of the republic--and what we have seen over the last few days certainly doesn't count for the proper function of a free republic.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    ID -

I think that you have thought these out, but may I add some thoughts.
    To your four points:
    1) It seems that you are selectively looking at who this "not be taken alive" decision was made by. The original "not be taken alive" decision was made by Mr. Dorner. It was expressed in no uncertain terms in his manifesto. It could be reasonably stated by ANY thinking human that HE made that decision. If I made that kind of a threat to you - and you knew that the threat was credible (i.e. I had the training, equipment, and everything to carry it out), and I had already carried out a couple of murders that I had threatened - are you going to assume that you can simply walk up and slap the cuffs on? Or are you going to presume that there's gonna be a fight to the finish. I find it hard to blame the police on that account - and anyone trying to walk in their shoes would as well.

2) Absolutely agree with you. This was criminal recklessness to be kind. I don't know whether it's an LAPD thing, a big city copy thing or what - but that department clearly butchered this job - even in light of the threats that they were under. I don't see how any reasonable person could accept the actions of the LAPD.

3) While I can understand the nervousness of the officers - I think that the LAPD went over the top in the searches, etc. Clearly setting up a perimeter was the right thing to do. But drawing down on people, etc. is over the top. Regarding going back to your house - if you're enough of an idiot to insist on going back to a live fire zone - you deserve what's coming to you. The cops didn't choose which neighborhood that they'd find him in. He did. If you live there - it's called bad luck. That's why you have insurance and an emergency fund. Tornados choose funny places to happen too... again - that's why you have insurance - in case crap happens.

4) I don't think that drones fired anything in this case. I agree with your thought that we're headed down a slippery slope in this area.

Bottom line - there were no winners yesterday. And the ONLY good thing that happened was that the threat was neutralized. One cop won't be going home to his family. One former cop with an apparent mental problem - didn't get help, and died violently - and his family , if any, will be lonely as well. Some innocent folks lost their home in a fire. And a whole bunch of people were subjected to over the top searches with guns drawn.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    ID -

To your four points:
    1) It seems that you are selectively looking at who this "not be taken alive" decision was made by. The original "not be taken alive" decision was made by Mr. Dorner. It was expressed in no uncertain terms in his manifesto. It could be reasonably stated by ANY thinking human that HE made that decision. If I made that kind of a threat to you - and you knew that the threat was credible (i.e. I had the training, equipment, and everything to carry it out), and I had already carried out a couple of murders that I had threatened - are you going to assume that you can simply walk up and slap the cuffs on? Or are you going to presume that there's gonna be a fight to the finish. I find it hard to blame the police on that account - and anyone trying to walk in their shoes would as well.

2) Absolutely agree with you. This was criminal recklessness to be kind. I don't know whether it's an LAPD thing, a big city copy thing or what - but that department clearly butchered this job - even in light of the threats that they were under. I don't see how any reasonable person could accept the actions of the LAPD.

3) While I can understand the nervousness of the officers - I think that the LAPD went over the top in the searches, etc. Clearly setting up a perimeter was the right thing to do. But drawing down on people, etc. is over the top. Regarding going back to your house - if you're enough of an idiot to insist on going back to a live fire zone - you deserve what's coming to you. The cops didn't choose which neighborhood that they'd find him in. He did. If you live there - it's called bad luck. That's why you have insurance and an emergency fund. Tornados choose funny places to happen too... again - that's why you have insurance - in case crap happens.

4) I don't think that drones fired anything in this case. I agree with your thought that we're headed down a slippery slope in this area.

Bottom line - there were no winners yesterday. And the ONLY good thing that happened was that the threat was neutralized. One cop won't be going home to his family. One former cop with an apparent mental problem - didn't get help, and died violently - and his family , if any, will be lonely as well. Some innocent folks lost their home in a fire. And a whole bunch of people were subjected to over the top searches with guns drawn.

I think this is pretty clear thought :yesway:

I sat and watched last night and I had to wonder what would have happened should one of the citizens being illegally searched refused? Had they simply said... "I do not consent without a warrant" ?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I sat and watched last night and I had to wonder what would have happened should one of the citizens being illegally searched refused? Had they simply said... "I do not consent without a warrant" ?
    On this point, I think, for good or for bad, the LEOs could have used the sometimes-magic phrase of "exigent circumstances" and it would be upheld in court.

Easy bullet points:
    - clearly dangerous man on the loose
    - evidence that he is in the general area
    - possibility that the person not giving consent is under duress

Not saying it is "constitutional" in the layman's sense, just that it would probably be enough, in this situation.

YMMV.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Every SWAT unit has a demo team member.

Scanner recording of Cop Killer Christopher Dorner Held up in cabin.Listen to the actual conversation between the police as they plan and burn the cabin down...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCdqybEfy9w&sns=em[/ame]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ID -

To your four points:

I believe we are on the same page. As for live capture not being in the cards, it looks to me like this worked more or less like a buy-sell option in a partnership. Dorner had no intention of being captured alive and would not have allowed it regardless of what the police may have done. I am also convinced based on their actions that the police had no intention of bringing Dorner in alive and would not have allowed it regardless of what he may have done toward that end. So far as we know, Dorner was the one who invoked the option, but I feel safe in the conclusion that from the beginning of the incident it was a forgone conclusion he would end up dead unless he managed to cross the border and either disappear or turn himself in to Mexican authorities, great pillars of humanity that they are.

My problem with cordoning off private property which is not directly part of the incident is that as this has become accepted, the police take progressively more license with their cordons in terms of both time and distance from the incident. I agree that going home with Dorner holed up in the house next door is a good way to nominate one's self for a Darwin Award, but the limits on infringement on private property have never been static and must be reversed while we still have vestige left. I would say that it raises questions regarding it being 'bad luck' or a loss properly covered by insurance if the police deliberately burned the house.

Agreed on drones. As I see it, we have the declaration that it is acceptable to use them for this task according to Obama. We now have a clear kill mission done directly by hand being accepted largely because people don't recognize it given that the poster child wouldn't have it any other way, so he receives the attention and blame for the outcome. We have a dangerous precedent from a similar vein from which springs the shout 'stop resisting' while beating the hell out of someone. Now, the next synthesis will be the combination of the two elements.

Your summary is exactly right, and your insights have been helpful to me in refining my thoughts. Thanks!

On this point, I think, for good or for bad, the LEOs could have used the sometimes-magic phrase of "exigent circumstances" and it would be upheld in court.

Easy bullet points:
    - clearly dangerous man on the loose
    - evidence that he is in the general area
    - possibility that the person not giving consent is under duress

Not saying it is "constitutional" in the layman's sense, just that it would probably be enough, in this situation.

YMMV.

I would agree completely and say that this stands in evidence to the extent of government overreach, particularly in the context of unacceptable actions that have come to be accepted. Your last point regarding the person not consenting to a search being under duress is particularly dangerous. Just as under both the NDAA and the new drone strike doctrine a person can be declared a terrorist with no burden of proof by a political hack, this opens the door to a person being declared (potentially) under duress by the police with no burden of proof beyond the officer getting the heebie jeebies, completely nullifying the Fourth Amendment.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    He made it pretty clear that he intended to fight to the death and would kill any officers attempting to apprehend him.

He had already murdered officers who had attempted to apprehend him.

Deadly force was justified.

There are no "approved methods" or "varying levels" of deadly force.

He bought the ticket and got a front row seat to the show. He fired on officers from within the cabin. There is no requirement for police officers to put their lives on the line in an attempt to apprehend him alive at that point. Dead is dead whether it's being run over by a car, shot by bullet, stabbed by a knife, pushed off a cliff or burned to death. We can disagree with the means all we want to, it may be politically incorrect, but it was justified based on his actions.

They (LE) are not allowed to act as judge, jury and executioner. They are allowed to utilize any means to apprehend, including deadly force if the suspect presents a threat of serious bodily injury or death to others should they excape. If he wished to claim innocence and take advantage of his right to a fair trial by a jury of his peers he could have submitted to a lawful arrest.

I do not agree with the actions (shooting of innocents) of LAPD prior to the suspect being cornered. Once he was in the cabin and shooting all bets were off.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The first major concern is that the hunt was carried out apparently without apprehension of the suspect even being a consideration.

He was killing people. The police are allowed self-defense.

Mad dogs get shot. Mad dogs get shot with the full protection of the law for those that kill the mad dog.

Lesson learned: if you act feral, you will be treated as such and the law is okey-dokey with it. If you feel your governmental agency has wronged you, seek legal counsel and redress, while you do apply for a different gig. Do NOT declare war on society, because society is much bigger than you and can shoot your ass and get away with it as it is justified.

It does not matter how the police kill him. .22 to the head, 40mikemike through the door, .308 to the chest, reckless rifle, release the hounds, or burn the house down.

Dorner received the due process he was due.

This in no way condones what LAPD did by shooting up neighborhoods, trucks or innocent bystanders. Those are separate issues.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He was killing people. The police are allowed self-defense....
    Dorner received the due process he was due.
    I respectfully disagree, at this point, because it is unclear that there was any self-defense when the cabin was intentionally set alight.

If he'd been shot in a firefight, sure. If he died in one of his several car crashes, no problem. Heck, if the fire were an accidental result of the tear gas, then I wouldn't have much of a problem with it.

But, by the current reporting, the fire was intentionally started by the police, and he was not an "active shooter" at the time the fire was started.

If he was a mad dog, he was already in a cage.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    On your 4th point, I would disagree that this was the first manhunt to have the intent of being an execution. Maybe the first to do so in the spotlight of our modern day media, but far from the first ever.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    He made it pretty clear that he intended to fight to the death and would kill any officers attempting to apprehend him.

He bought the ticket and got a front row seat to the show. He fired on officers from within the cabin. There is no requirement for police officers to put their lives on the line in an attempt to apprehend him alive at that point. Dead is dead whether it's being run over by a car, shot by bullet, stabbed by a knife, pushed off a cliff or burned to death. We can disagree with the means all we want to, it may be politically incorrect, but it was justified based on his actions.

They (LE) are not allowed to act as judge, jury and executioner. They are allowed to utilize any means to apprehend, including deadly force if the suspect presents a threat of serious bodily injury or death to others should they excape. If he wished to claim innocence and take advantage of his right to a fair trial by a jury of his peers he could have submitted to a lawful arrest.

I do not agree with the actions (shooting of innocents) of LAPD prior to the suspect being cornered. Once he was in the cabin and shooting all bets were off.

I believe we are largely in agreement. I would have far fewer reservations had, upon surrounding the cabin, afforded him one and only one opportunity to surrender other than on the news broadcast (which the owner of the property said regarding the news giving away tactical information, that cable service was not available in the house at the time) at the beginning of the standoff, which so far as I am aware was not done.

This concern dovetails with the police actions regarding shooting innocent persons. Significantly, they received no warning before the police opened fire. I cannot find any way to explain this aside from my conclusion that the police intended to bring him in dead, dead, or dead. Fortuitously for the police, Dorner's own insistence on the same outcome greatly overshadowed the apparent fact that this was a mutual decision, which in turn opens the door for a dangerous precedent to take root. You are correct that as of the present, summary execution by police is at least officially not accepted. You must also remember that much of what a modern PD does would not have been tolerated in the past, and it changed one incident at a time. Merle Haggard observed that he had more freedom on parole in 1960 than a completely upstanding citizen has today. That should tell us something, especially given that, if I remember correctly, he made that statement before the introduction of the PATRIOT Act.

On your 4th point, I would disagree that this was the first manhunt to have the intent of being an execution. Maybe the first to do so in the spotlight of our modern day media, but far from the first ever.

You made a distinction that I had not considered, and I agree with your point. I would be inclined to conclude that this is the first one with the potential to set a new precedent which stands to be quite deleterious to what tattered remnant of liberty there is left in this country. Thanks for an insightful correction.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe we are largely in agreement. I would have far fewer reservations had, upon surrounding the cabin, afforded him one and only one opportunity to surrender other than on the news broadcast (which the owner of the property said regarding the news giving away tactical information, that cable service was not available in the house at the time) at the beginning of the standoff, which so far as I am aware was not done.

I have not had an opportunity to view the footage or read the reports of what happened. I became aware that they had him in a cabin yesterday evening, then sometime later became aware that the cabin was on fire. If I am wrong please let me know but it seems as if a significant amount of time had passed between these two occurrences.

He was a former police officer. He knew full well of his situation (in a cabin surrounded by police). He also knew that if he wanted to surrender he could have done so. It appears there was time available for him to have surrendered, instead he was shooting.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I respectfully disagree, at this point, because it is unclear that there was any self-defense when the cabin was intentionally set alight.

It's easy to sit here and dream up countless scenarios and "what ifs" but the highlighted word "unclear" is exactly right. People here are making ASSumptions based on little to no information and based only on their preconceived ideas of what LEOs do. Give it a rest.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's easy to sit here and dream up countless scenarios and "what ifs" but the highlighted word "unclear" is exactly right. People here are making ASSumptions based on little to no information and based only on their preconceived ideas of what LEOs do. Give it a rest.
    I think that works both ways. ;)

We can only form opinions based on the information available. Generally, I give LEOs the benefit of the doubt.

In this case, I'm more than ready to change my opinion if more facts are released, and readily admit that my opinion might change.

I'm not sure that certain people who support the LAPD handling can say the same thing. ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

With respect, unclear? Could not be anymore clear.

The dude murdered people including a LEO sitting in his car just prior to the police surrounding the cabin.

You don't have to let the mad dog out of the cage before you shoot it. You kill it in the cage by whatever means you think are best, following the Four Rules.

If the criticism is about endangering innocents with the use of thermite grenades to start a fire, well, I have yet to see that. If there is a concern that we are not aware of then that may change the fact pattern and my conclusion.

If no concern for Rule 4, burn him, shoot him, gas him, send in Chompy and gang, makes no legal difference.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    ID -

And he could have changed his mind. (One could argue his attempted exit from the cabin was evidence of such.) LAPD never intended on given him that opportunity.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

:yesway:

NOT the 1st time. On May 17, 1974, Los Angeles police, acting on an anonymous phone tip, surrounded and assaulted a house occupied by the Symbionese Liberation Army, a group of left-wing militants. More than 400 LAPD officers exchanged 9,000 bullets with the members of the SLA during the hours of the siege, which was broadcast live by area TV stations. Six of the "SLA" terrorists died that day, after the house they were using as their hideout caught fire and burned to the ground.

This video contains a small portion of that incredible SLA/LAPD shootout, which was captured live on film and/or videotape

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofbvgjl6MhA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYc_k_V5fLU[/ame]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @KF-Well, just because they saw him go in the cabin doesn't necessarily mean he was alone. So, I think there should have been a concern that there were innocents inside. I will also agree that the LEOs on the scene did not share that concern.

I will also agree that, generally, if force is authorized at a certain level ("deadly" force for example), the modality of that force doesn't matter.

But, in terms of what the correct level of force is, it does make a difference. :) For instance, I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but if the dude was unconscious from one of his wrecks, deadly force would not have been appropriate. (IMHO.) No matter how heinous his crimes, if he isn't a threat when deadly force is used, it probably isn't the right level of force.

Starving him to death is just as effective as burning him, no?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Starving him to death is just as effective as burning him, no?

It takes longer and does not serve to create or reinforce a precedent that expands the boundaries of police action.

I also am remiss for nearly failing to address the element of revenge. There isn't a chance in the universe that this level of resource allocation or sheer vengefulness would have been applied had the original victims been ordinary citizens. That level of double-standard and comparative indifference the rest of the time on the parts of the people paid to protect the public is alarming.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    @KF-Well, just because they saw him go in the cabin doesn't necessarily mean he was alone. So, I think there should have been a concern that there were innocents inside. I will also agree that the LEOs on the scene did not share that concern.

My understanding is that he took the owners hostage. The owners then apparently got away because they told the police that the cabin didn't have cable when they were requesting the news helicopters to back up. It seems reasonable that, if this was true, the occupants were out and had knowledge that nobody else was inside. I'm just going off the reports so that could be completely false.

Top Bottom