• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Frankly, if I have gotten to the point that I am using heat to get the gas cylinder off I think I would decide not to worry about it. You can strip the rifle down to clean while leaving it on.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Not a putdown. Just stating fact.
    Don't sweat it @Cameramonkey ... facts just don't seem to matter to that thin-skinned one ... it's his way or the highway ... he dishes it out, but doesn't like it when it's given back. I tend to skip over what he writes, unless I'm in a jocular mood ... then his writing is mildly tolerable.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Don't sweat it @Cameramonkey ... facts just don't seem to matter to that thin-skinned one ... it's his way or the highway ... he dishes it out, but doesn't like it when it's given back. I tend to skip over what he writes, unless I'm in a jocular mood ... then his writing is mildly tolerable.

So what knowledge and experiences on removing a Garands gas cylinder has your vast knowledge brought to this thread again?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I admit I have no experience with a Garand, only my experiences with many things mechanical. I have worked on many items that 40 years ago did not require any more than a wrench, but 40 years later needed some extra persuasion of one kind or another. I simply put the idea out there that to me seems the least risky of further damage than beating.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I admit I have no experience with a Garand, only my experiences with many things mechanical. I have worked on many items that 40 years ago did not require any more than a wrench, but 40 years later needed some extra persuasion of one kind or another. I simply put the idea out there that to me seems the least risky of further damage than beating.
    That stainless gas cylinder is kinna tough.

Obviously neither CM or yourself has ever owned and disassembled a M1 Garand for cleaning or maintenance.
    If you had you would know that.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    OP, do you have a saw cut gas cylinder? If so you need to remove the front sight first. Google "garand saw cut gas cylinder" to see a picture of what I am talking about

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Moose, you are probably thinking of a mallet used to close trigger guard?
    Maybe, But I need to find the other video. It was on the ordinance departments methods for repairing war materials, it showed a depot in Japan (I think) where they were repairing garands from Korea.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It can have a cut gas cylinder without undersized WWII barrel. Many match shooters use these today for the tight fit
    I understand that, me personally have yet to see a saw cut that cant be tapped off without loosening the sight with a non marring hammer.
    Have you seen any?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    And to make it even easier, buy some canned air. as soon as you are finished heating the cylinder, turn the can upside down and spray liquid onto the tube and it will freeze the tube and make it shrink.

Careful not to get the liquid on your skin. Instant frostbite.

I'd do this if hitting it harder isn't producing the desired results.

Despite what is stated above, this method is extremely common to separate stuck metal parts in almost any industry. You don't have to be a Garand expert to know a thing or two about metal.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Yes, have seen many. . They were for undersized barrels, if you put one on a normal size barrel it will be impossible to remove unless sight screw is loosened first.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes, have seen many. . They were for undersized barrels, if you put one on a normal size barrel it will be impossible to remove unless sight screw is loosened first.
    Interesting, im aware what they were for
    The only two I have seen are one one the line, years and years ago at Meade and my gfathers that one of my brothers own now. My brothers has a 54 or 55 barrel and its not so tight as it can be tapped off easily.
    Thanks for the knowledge.

Top Bottom