• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's pretty effing slick. Isobutanol can also be run in most gas engines with little to no modifications at all. Unlike ethanol, the energy output is nearly that of gasoline.

Hard to see a downside to this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    While it's a proof of concept, I'm guessing it's still easier to drill oil, refine it, and pour it into your gas tank.

Same with algae being used to make fossil fules to then extract and use in your car. Just get oil! surely we can all agree that our long-term solution to powering vehicles is NOT going to be microbes...

We need fossil fuels for air travel and military, and electric vehicles for the rest of us powered by a nuc(u)lear grid

ductileiron98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    ford

I heard about this kind of thing around five years ago from employees at ford. They were testing this kind of fuel/microbe at the diesel think tank test faucility. I think it is interesting. The Government will make us buy license's for our pet microbes !

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Thermodynamics in a nutshell.

1. You can't win.
    2. You can't break even.
    3. You can't quit.

Liao and his team genetically engineered a lithoautotrophic microorganism known as Ralstonia eutropha H16 to produce isobutanol and 3-methyl-1-butanol in an electro-bioreactor using carbon dioxide as the sole carbon source and electricity as the sole energy input.
    emphasis added

I wonder where we're going to get the electricity to drive this? And how much energy is lost in the process?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think the article mentioned solar.

:laugh: at the "three laws of thermodynamics". So true....

I am wondering what the "chemical intermediate" is. The Hydrogen has to come from somewhere. The left-over Oxygen needs to go somewhere as well. Doubt we are lucky enough to get O2 as a byproduct.

edit: Formic Acid... Hmmm....

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thermodynamics in a nutshell.

1. You can't win.
    2. You can't break even.
    3. You can't quit.

emphasis added

I wonder where we're going to get the electricity to drive this? And how much energy is lost in the process?

I envision thousands of square miles of green energy solar panels sweeping across the deserts. Transmission cables and jobs going everywhere.

I need a loan.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Drug companies already produce thousands of gallons of drugs all the time using bacteria. This is just a step in the right direction. There's no such thing as the right fuel. Oil is going to eventually go the way of the dinosaurs. No pun intended. We already have multiple fuels on the market, there's room for plenty more. Personally, my bet's on hydrogen. Super clean, efficient and abundant.

Top Bottom