• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Maybe it isn't right for me and quite possibly IF I happen to get one, It may just sit in the safe after a couple hundred rounds are fired through it.

I have been pondering the idea of wanting to get a full auto machine gun. I realize I will have to not only save my Pennies, nickles and dimes per say, but also save quite a few Benjamins if I am going to obtain one.

With that being said,

1. Where did you find/get your full auto?

I have googled and googled, went to probably at least 25 different websites and I am not really finding anything that peaks my curiousity except for one, however, I quickly lost interest in it when I saw the NON NEGOTIABLE price tag of $32,000.

2. Can you alter the firearm after you get your stamp and recieve it?

I personally think it would look really bad ass if I were to some how be able to convert an UZI 9mm or one of the other subs under $10k to somewhat resemble an AR15. IE adjustable stock, flash hider, have roughly at least a 16in barrel etc.

3. What part is actually the NFA item?

Is it the entire firearm its self? or just the mechanics that cause it to be full auto?

4. Besides providing factory ammo of the owner's choice, what other things would I need to do or provide in order to possibly be able to personally fire someone's full auto to see if I really want one that is within 100miles of zip 47553?

However, My inlaws do live in the Warsaw area and my wife visits at least once a month. Could possibly be a good excuse for me to finally go with her. If someone is in the Ft. Wayne area or somewhere around there...

Will post more questions as soon as I remember them.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    subguns.com is another board to check out.
    gunbroker.com

You can change things up on your machine gun as long as the underlying firearm is still the type that is registered. You can add parts to an UZI, but you couldn't take the parts from the UZI and make some other type of gun full auto.

As far as what is the machine gun, it depends on what's registered. A machine gun is defined as a firearm OR parts of a firearm designed to shoot more than one round with a single function of the trigger. You could have a registered receiver, registered bolt, registered trigger pack, registered drop-in sear, lightning link (another kind of sear), conversion kit (M1 carbine), etc....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just about the least expensive way to get into a FA firearm will be for a MAC-11 type firearm. They're typically in the $3500 range on the low end. They do go up from there, depending on accessories, condition, etc. There are also caliber conversions for these...

A 9mm Sten is right around that price, too... Slight step up into a Ruger AC556. Another step up into an Uzi. And as you've found out, prices on transferable MGs go up exponentially from there.

Oh to have the extra $18k for an HK MP5 + suppressor....*Sigh*

In general, it's the weapon's receiver that makes it "full auto". You could take the important bits out so it only fires semi-auto, and it'd still be considered a machine gun due to the receiver being registered as a machine gun.

Conversely, you can put many FA parts into a semi gun and you'd still have a semi automatic firearm (the bolt / BCA from an M16 into an AR-15, for example).

With HK, the waters get murky because it's the weapon SEAR that's the registered part; this sear can be transferred between several receivers as the sear's owner sees fit.

-J-

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just about the least expensive way to get into a FA firearm will be for a MAC-11 type firearm. They're typically in the $3500 range on the low end. They do go up from there, depending on accessories, condition, etc. There are also caliber conversions for these...

A 9mm Sten is right around that price, too... Slight step up into a Ruger AC556. Another step up into an Uzi. And as you've found out, prices on transferable MGs go up exponentially from there.

Oh to have the extra $18k for an HK MP5 + suppressor....*Sigh*

In general, it's the weapon's receiver that makes it "full auto". You could take the important bits out so it only fires semi-auto, and it'd still be considered a machine gun due to the receiver being registered as a machine gun.

Conversely, you can put many FA parts into a semi gun and you'd still have a semi automatic firearm (the bolt / BCA from an M16 into an AR-15, for example).

With HK, the waters get murky because it's the weapon SEAR that's the registered part; this sear can be transferred between several receivers as the sear's owner sees fit.
    -J-

In a lot of cases it's the sear. There are also registered receivers (least desirable in the HK platform) and registered trigger packs. The sear is probably the best because you can put.it in an SEF pack or an ambidextrous burst pack.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In a lot of cases it's the sear. There are also registered receivers (least desirable in the HK platform) and registered trigger packs. The sear is probably the best because you can put.it in an SEF pack or an ambidextrous burst pack.

Murky waters, I say. Murky waters! :D

Sparky03

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lebanon IN
    And don't forget you will then need a full auto sear ready trigger pack to put the reg sear into this will cost you another couple hundred bucks. I had to find someone to modify hk burst pack to host my hk reg sear.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    You mention that you want something resembling an AR or M16 I take it. For about 7K you can get a lightning link which will convert a semi-auto AR into a f/a only weapon legally. It's the cheapest way to get into the f/a business on the AR/M16 but also the least desirable.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Or you could do what I'm gonna do, and get the proper licenses to build your own...

The down side is a yearly cost and the toys go away for the most part when you stop being a manufacture. Also best that you do enough business for real, so the manufacturing lisc. is not just for your own usage.

But if you are into the hobby enough that you also make it a part time job, is an interesting option, in particular for a machinist.

Top Bottom