• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If full length sizing is the order of the day, it's best not to fumble with hand tools and just go ahead and get an inexpensive single stage press.
    You can just stick with that or upgrade to something a bit more efficient in the future should your need for more ammo produced more quickly eventuate.

+1 Words of wisdom. I have loaded 30/30 with a hand held Lee press. No Bueno. Like old pink said, just get a press. If portability is a desired feature, bolt it to a short piece of 2 X 4 and buy a couple of 4 inch "C" clamps and mount it wherever you like.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Sorry for falling off the face of the earth.

I am not necessarily wanting to load in the field, but I do like the .32 special. When I shoot, I always bring at least one to the range. I do have quite a few rifles in .32 special. They are just something different.

I have everything I need to load it for one rifle and I am not really interested in loading other calibers. I can't explain my resistance to getting a bench-type press. Reloading this particular round is just a learning experience for me. I don't really want to spend much more money on it.

I think the Lee press is just what I need if I decide to go that direction.

I think Djones loads .32 Special on a single stage, maybe I will gather up all my brass and do a big batch sometime if he lets me come over.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone having 5 different rifles in 32 Special! :D

I know, I know. :)

I am going to Louisville this weekend. Hopefully I bring another one home! I might start going towards a more obscure caliber like 32-40 or 25-36M. Just something different.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You need to cast bullets for those, RCBS makes an excellent 170 grain GC mold for the 32 WSP and 32-40. I load both with it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Actually, I use Hornady bullets. I do have an antique Winchester bullet mold in .32WS even though I don't plan on casting.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Those look great! Are gas checks really necessary?

What velocities are you getting from those?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good question, as I remember it's about 1800. That mold was recommended by so many people on Cast Boolits that I bought it regardless of the check.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    That sounds like a great deer load.

I can't wait for Indiana to open up deer hunting to other calibers. I have an old Marlin that has been hungry for a while.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That sounds like a great deer load.

I can't wait for Indiana to open up deer hunting to other calibers. I have an old Marlin that has been hungry for a while.

What cartridge is your Marlin chambered in? 32 Special, I presume?! :D

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Yeah, most of my lever actions are in .32WS/.23HPS.

I have a few in 30-30 and one in 38-55. I like the thought of a 32-40.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, most of my lever actions are in .32WS/.23HPS.

I have a few in 30-30 and one in 38-55. I like the thought of a 32-40.

Is it the 38-55 you want to hunt with or one of the 32 Specials? Have you tried LVR powder and FTX bullets in the 32 Special rifles? That combination really ups the ante for the 30/30, in terms of MV and accuracy.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Is it the 38-55 you want to hunt with or one of the 32 Specials? Have you tried LVR powder and FTX bullets in the 32 Special rifles? That combination really ups the ante for the 30/30, in terms of MV and accuracy.

I would love to hunt with the .32 Special

I have used the LVR powder, but from what I understand, the tong tool isnt good for the FTX bullets. I do like the Hornady factory loads.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, I got a Lee hand press and dies at the 1500. Resizing was a little tough. I resized/decapped 60 cases and had to take off my sweatshirt because I was getting hot.

I trimmed the cases with a LEE case trimmer and my power drill then primed them with the IDEAL tong tool.

I loaded 20 with 35.6gr of LVR powder and the Hornady 170gr soft point bullets. I used the IDEAL tong tool for this. This is the load I made up before and it shot well.

I loaded 20 with 35.6gr of LVR powder and the 165gr FTX bullets in the LEE press. I had these bullets laying around because I couldn't load them with the tong tool.

The final 20 I loaded with 36.8gr of LVR powder and the 165gr FTX in the lee press.

The Hornady cases seem to be more robust than the Remington cases. The first Remington case neck bulged at the crimp with the same settings I used on the Hornady cases. They were all trimmed to the same length.

I am interested to see how these shoot out of the old Marlin.

Top Bottom