• ...and so much more!
  • Full size vs. compact

• Total voters

citrigin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Another point: when I first started carrying I was annoyed by the weight of the full size gun, so I bought a compact .380. After a lot of practice, I realized it was much more difficult to hit a target with the compact. I know most encounters happen at short ranges, but I do not want to be overthinking my grip and point of aim in an actual hostile situation. THe full size was more natural and eventually I realized a better gun because of it. This may not be true for everyone, but it is eventually what I landed on.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Another point: when I first started carrying I was annoyed by the weight of the full size gun, so I bought a compact .380. After a lot of practice, I realized it was much more difficult to hit a target with the compact. I know most encounters happen at short ranges, but I do not want to be overthinking my grip and point of aim in an actual hostile situation. THe full size was more natural and eventually I realized a better gun because of it. This may not be true for everyone, but it is eventually what I landed on.

The little 380s are horrid. Bad sights, long trigger, short barrel, ammo finicky, nothing to grab onto, short grip to reload, high felt recoil.............

I know they are affordable and easy to carry. But outside of deep concealment or gym shorts carry they have limited utility. A good all around gun is a medium sized, striker fired gun. M&P or Glock 19 got it right as far as size verses weight vs easy to shoot.

I am not against small carry guns. But something just a touch bigger. Currently my BUG sized gun is a S&W 642 snub. But the Kahr PM9, Shield, XDs, Walter PPS, Glock 36 would also be good choices.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I like to have different carry guns for different situations.

Example, I have a commander size 1911 I carry sometimes, I compact 9mm I carry for more situations that need to be a little more comfortable and last but not least my little 380 for the ultimate comfort and concealment.

Go buy a ruger LCP (Or comparable) and carry that when you feel the Sig is too large for what you are doing that day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Carry what you shoot best.

Carry is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

This. The most "compact" thing I ever carry as a primary is a 3" GP100.

Sigs are heavy, no doubt about it. However with a DalTech Bull Belt I can wear a Sig P220, two spare magazines, a badge holder, and a radio without my pants hitting the ground. Just because a belt is thick doesn't mean its going to work, it can still be too pliable and allow it to roll over.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    A crossbreed super tuck was my first IWB holster. I carry a full size G22 and couldnt be happier with it. I'm a skinneer guy and I can wear the gun comfortably all day with a regular shirt and printing is little if at all. Id give a crosdbreed a try before you dump the fullsize.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I, too, struggled with the P226, even with a good, stiff gun belt (that's a MUST!) My biggest issue was that the pointy-parts (hammer, spur) dig into my "tactical girth," which is not only uncomfortable but even caused bruising. I figured that there had to be a better solution.

I started carrying a Glock 17, OWB. Smoother against the skin, no pointy-parts digging into my side. It was much more comfortable for me, plus I could shoot it well and it carried enough ammo for my comfort level.

I picked up a Glock 21 recently and began carrying it. I figured that if the 17 was OK, I could then carry the 21 and enjoy the comfort of a full-sized EDC in a caliber that I prefer (.45ACP). However, it IS noticeably heavier, and I become aware of that extra weight if I carry it all day long. Weight DOES matter.

I tried carrying my Baby Sig (P938) the other day. I pretty much forgot that it was there. I found that nearly as disturbing as the weight of the heavy pistols!

Sometimes there is no perfect solution. If the weight and size of the P226 is what bothers you most but you shoot it well, then invest in a solid, stiff gun belt and good holster before you get rid of the gun. If the pointy-parts bother you, then no belt or holster will completely erase your problem. Life is full of compromises.

Good luck!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Problem Solved

You're Welcome

I saw this holster demonstrated on u-tube. The girl was drawing and shooting, and hitting her target in under 1 second. Repeatedly. Of course I don't think this will help the OP. It sucks that you can't find a way to keep the Sig and save up I little at a time to get another pistol. I really like the little pistols, but have full sized for "special occasions". I don't think you would be satisfied with a P238. I love it. Good sights, accurate and low recoil, even though some say otherwise. What I normally carry is my CM9. Comfortable and comforting, to me anyways. I don't think you would be satisfied with it either. Low round capacity. I'm trying to find the right holster to carry a Hi-power. Smaller than most full sized guns, thin, but holds 13 + 1. If you have to get rid of the Sig to get something else to carry, you probably need to find something in the middle. I'm not a glock guy, but some have suggested a 19. Might give it a try.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If my wife had one of those holsters, all she could conceal would be a .22 derringer. *sigh* :(

My wife could conceal something a bit larger then a derringer. Wonder if they make a flashbang to fit M&P9? What I really want to see is the lady that can carry a Sig P226 in one of those.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Compact pistols aren't always thinner. I can carry a full size 5' 1911 easier than my P-01 as it's skinnier. Good belt, good pants, and a good holster make it happen.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Thanks for the comments and help everybody. I think after listening to everybody and examining my situation I'm going to put it back up for sale. I'm going to go with a smaller striker-fired pistol (I feel like I'm selling my soul). As much as I hate to get rid of the SIG I really want something I can carry all day instead of something that I might leave at home because "I'm only going to gone 10 minutes, what's the worst that could happen", etc.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the comments and help everybody. I think after listening to everybody and examining my situation I'm going to put it back up for sale. I'm going to go with a smaller striker-fired pistol (I feel like I'm selling my soul). As much as I hate to get rid of the SIG I really want something I can carry all day instead of something that I might leave at home because "I'm only going to gone 10 minutes, what's the worst that could happen", etc.

The Glock 19 or 17 and the M&P are really a nice mix of size verses weight. They are easy to shoot and have a wide assortment of holster options.

Top Bottom