• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Kinda looking around for a 9mm. Like the Ruger American a lot....17 rd magazine...easy take apart...and low recoil. Anyones thoughts? $470 right now at Cabela's

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    For $470, there are alot of better gun out there. Ruger make good gun but somehow I wouldnt spend thst much on a Ruger pistol. You may able to pick up a nice Glock, HH VP9, FNX9, and many other off FB gun groups or armslist. My two cents.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For a full size, easy to shoot and carry whenever, CZ 75 is the one for me.

Until someone somewhere makes something that I like better, I'm going to focus on CZ variations.

I'll continue to try other pistols with an open mind, and hope I find a striker fired model someday. I do summer carry an XDS or RAMI sometimes, but this thread is about the full size and I do carry a 75 when I can.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Kinda looking around for a 9mm. Like the Ruger American a lot....17 rd magazine...easy take apart...and low recoil. Anyones thoughts? $470 right now at Cabela's

DONT BUY THAT EASY TO TAKE APART S**T!!!!!!!!!!

ok, yes its easy to take apart, but a B!7CH to put back together, I popped out the takedown lever just like you are supposed to do, and when I tried to reassemble it, the striker bar(?) popped out of position, and a tiny spring shot out, I spent 2.5 hours reassembling it, most of the time was trying to figure out how that tiny spring went back in, and the parts list in the back of the book is a joke at best, didn't give one ounce of help!

but I got it back together, and realized, i'll never own one!(it was in the shop I work at for sale), I wanted to like it I really did!, the owner of the store said said and I quote "that's the first and only ruger American the store will buy!"....and that was before my "adventure" with the trigger return spring

if you have 470 to buy a gun, sell some plasma, sell blood, sell your firstborn male child, whatever you want to sell to get money, and buy a sig p320(I'd even say buy a glock, and I don't like glocks), but don't, I say don't buy a ruger American pistol!

and if I can give you one last piece of advice....."DON'T BUY A RUGER AMERICAN PISTOL!"

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Police trade G17's are tough to find, but when you do they are a great value and have night sights (most of the time). Usually around $375-ish.
    Police trade M&P 9's are a great value too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd see if you can find one to shoot first. Some people had problems with the grip rubbing the web of their hand wrong and causing a bit of pain. Otherwise, go for it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    S&W 5906's can be had for 350 and IMHO are underrated. Of course I'm a 3rd gen smith man myself so i may be a bit biased. Though I do have a surplus CZ75 and 85 from cdisales that ran me less than 400 and have been great.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd see if you can find one to shoot first. Some people had problems with the grip rubbing the web of their hand wrong and causing a bit of pain. ...

Yep, I would scrutinize this aspect very closely. Has affected people with big hands, small hands, fat hands, skinny hands. No way I'd buy an All American without running at least a hundred rounds thru one to get a feel for the ergonomics. Just by way of comparison, the 9mm Pro is over a quarter pound heavier than a G17 if weight is a factor for you (it's also taller and wider, but a bit shorter in length due to the shorter barrel mostly). If you compare on barrel length, it's a significantly larger and heavier package than, say the G19, for a barrel that's only 0.19" longer.

Top Bottom