• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration minister is making public statements about a technology that forces drivers to blow into a breathalyzer every single time they start their cars. Essentially this is an effort to make you prove your innocence from committing DUI several times per day. It is another intrusion into your privacy; not to mention an additional BS sensor that you have to worry about maintaining and repairing to keep your car in "legal" working order. I'm sure the control freaks will gladly welcome it.

Future cars to decide if driver is drunk

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Why exactly would one be interested in bypassing the system? If you know you're too drunk to pass the in-car PBT, why would you choose to drive? Being a responsible adult is officially dead...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why exactly would one be interested in bypassing the system? If you know you're too drunk to pass the in-car PBT, why would you choose to drive? Being a responsible adult is officially dead...

I don't drive drunk, but I would disable this and any other intrusive devices that have nothing to do with operating my car with the comforts that I choose.

They're just added complexity to an already too complex machine, and are just more things to go wrong that will reduce the reliability and increase the expense of the operation.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't drive drunk, but I would disable this and any other intrusive devices that have nothing to do with operating my car with the comforts that I choose.

They're just added complexity to an already too complex machine, and are just more things to go wrong that will reduce the reliability and increase the expense of the operation.

This seems reasonable. I was looking at this from the perspective of people knowingly driving drunk and trying to bypass the system.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

I want to be extremely clear that I have never got behind the wheel of a car after having any thing to drink. I will only drink at home or somewhere that I will be staying for a few days. I hate drunk drivers with a passion and sometimes wish I could use them as target practice. I worry that if a drunk ever hits me while I have my kids with me I might shoot the drunk. With all that said I will not blow into a machine every time I get into my car and will disable any system like this already installed on any future cars I buy.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Sounds like this will be just as effective as Gun Control. The people who truly insist on driving drunk will disable the system. Some sober people will disable the system out of principle and convenience. And the vast majority of people blowing into that stupid machine will be the "law abiding citizens" whom we shouldn't have to worry about in the first place. An ineffective, expensive method that will punish and annoy innocent citizens.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You don't have to blow in to it, the sensor is built in to the steering wheel. Also the is another sensor by where you put the key on that can get a reading off your skin.

Last edited:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Wonder what happens if you get a beer spilled on you on the way out the door of the bar where you have been the designated driver all night?

Relly stupid idea with not a nit worth of forethought.

A solution to a problem that does not exist but will create more problems.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    You don't have to blow in to it, the sensor is built in to the steering wheel. Also the is another sensor by where you put the key on that can get a reading off your skin.

So a few weeks ago when I was at a friends house shooting old unopened beer I would have screwed. :D

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    You guys crack me up. Don't buy/drive vehicles that have this equipment..Problem solved. Just like people complain about the TSA everytime they fly...Dont fly? Stop feeding them money and they will starve.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You guys crack me up. Don't buy/drive vehicles that have this equipment..Problem solved. Just like people complain about the TSA everytime they fly...Dont fly? Stop feeding them money and they will starve.

We are citizens, not subjects. We still have a say in what goes on in our government.

Bending over and taking it is not exactly the American Way.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Wonder what happens if you get a beer spilled on you on the way out the door of the bar where you have been the designated driver all night?

Relly stupid idea with not a nit worth of forethought.

A solution to a problem that does not exist but will create more problems.

I'm not saying it is the solution (I would not be for this proposal), but to say a problem does not exist with drinking and driving is wrong. You don't need me to pull the statistics or tell you the stories of those killed and maimed by morons getting behind the wheel intoxicated.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

I bought my blazer knowing it had daytime running lights and automatic night lights. I disabled both.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Follow the money on this one, the people who make this gadget for your car are writing checks to a lawyer/lobbiest in the legislature to get this passed. The dc way.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    These don't work. As long as someone sober is present when you start your car.......or I guess you could just keep a filled air tank in the passenger seat.....

The new ones you have to hum into while you blow. It recognizes the frequency of your hum so only you can activate the car.

This is stupid. Right up there with taxing people for not wearing their seatbelts

Top Bottom