• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I have a 18 year old employee who recently enlisted in the Army. He's told me that he is going to be a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. He's a very good worker, and a great kid. I'm looking to purchase a carry knife for him, and would like to get some input from experienced vets as to what an appropriate knife would be for him while deployed. Any input is appreciated. I'm not looking to break the bank; though, I'm not looking to really pinch pennies either. I realize it's sort of a vague question, but I'm not too sure as to what kind of knife he's going to get the best use out of. Thanks guys!

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    If your looking for a folder I would say a ZT 0350.
    If your looking for a fixed blade Esee 4,5 or 6 would be on my list. I have a Esee 5 and it is built like a tank.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Wheeled vehicle mechanic? A leatherman (or similar). I'm not a knife expert like these guys ^^, but I was a soldier for a long time. As a wheeled vehicle mechanic, he'll use something like a leatherman a LOT more than a ninja knife.

Just my $.02.

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    Along the lines of a leatherman which is a great tool also look at the gerber diesel model. Ive carried mi e for years now and has never let me down and IMO is easier to open with one hand.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Definitely a high quality tool like a leatherman or victorinox swiss tool imo. both are high quality and will take a beating. we broke more gerbers than anything else. If you want a easy open model then the sog power tool is where it's at.

If your looking to get him a good folder then zt0300 or 0560 or something along those lines. they have a no questions asked warranty and it rocks for people hard on their gear.

fixed blades there are tons of good options. esee, busse, tops, bark river ect ect ect.

​Let us know what you prefer and your budget. we will be able to provide you with better answers.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Agreed on a good multitool, but these days some units issue them.
    Hard use folder like a ZT or a small fixed like a Strider DB. Fixed are great for deployments, but not so much in garrison.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    As a mechanic, I'd go multi-tool. My choice in that category is SOG w/ powerlock. I broke pieces of two different Leathermans in my first couple years. The SOG lasts.

Folding knife? Depends on the price range. <$100 Spyderco (damn good knives for the price), 100-150 Benchmade, $200ish ZT, 400+ Strider, Hinderer, Grayman

Fixed Blade: again, price range: <$100 probably a Kabar, $100-200 ballpark ESEE gets lots of love from people. Best Period? Busse, but it can be difficult to get some of the models without paying a premium.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Leatherman MUT is perfect for someone in the military if you're going the multi tool route. I'd have to say the ZT 0300 for a hard use folder as well.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Leatherman MUT is perfect for someone in the military if you're going the multi tool route. I'd have to say the ZT 0300 for a hard use folder as well.

Yeah but the dumb TSA agents in Raleigh think the Leatherman MUT is a gun because the hammer/hook look like a "gun handle"

Don't ask how I know

Those bunch of tards

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I would go fixed blade. Depending where he's stationed he may be issued one. I was given a multi tool, but damn I used the crap out of esee 4

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    well.. keep in mind that when he is back in the states, anything with over a 3 inch blade is considered a weapon and not allowed to be carried...

something like a MUT would be a better idea. he would get more use out of it and carry it more often

another option is to get him a watch, g shock watches seem to hold up pretty well and its something that will get used way more than a knife. this would just be my suggestion from having been there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree that if you want to get the guy something he's going to use more than anything else go with a multitool. I have a leatherman wingman clipped on my pocket now, and a leatherman supertool 300 in a drawer. If you really just want to get him the best pocket knife for the money in case he needs it as a last line of defense in case he's outside the wire and in a tight spot, then I would look nowhere else than an emerson knife that has the wave feature on it. Let's face it, there's plenty of great knives out there that lock up and hold an edge. Whether it's a spyderco or a zero tolerance there's not much practical difference. The thing that sets the Emerson apart from the herd is that with the wave feature as you draw your pocket knife out of your pocket it catches and flips out the blade the instant your knife clears the pocket. It's a brilliant design, and if I had to go to war again, I'd take an emerson again without a second thought. When I deployed I took a fixed blade kabar with a gerber multiool in the nylon sheath pouch. I also had an emerson p-sark with the wave in my pocket at all times. With those tools I had everything covered. It's been a decade since I've been over and I hear things are better now, but when I was there multitools got a lot of the misc work done because the logistics hadn't caught up with everything else.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Went through this same thing with my oldest son about 3 years ago when he graduated from BCT. Brad hooked me up with a Benchmade Adamas folder from his mother and I. It is a great hard-use knife. His Grandma got him a black leatherman with his name engraved in it in OD green and embroidered on the pouch. Killed two birds at one time so to speak. He probably uses the leatherman more than anything else.

One things for sure, there is only one thief in the Army. Everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back. Having his name engraved has helped in getting it returned when it comes up "missing".

G-shock is another good option. We got him a G-shock when he graduated AIT. I liked it so much I bought one myself.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom