FYI- How to repair/replace bearing on an idler pulley on your mower, etc...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    This little project came about after viewing a YT of a Gent doing the same...

Problem, bearing in idler pulley started to go. Pulley is basically riveted and spot welded together and uses a standard 40mmx12mmx7mm bearing you can pick up at any parts store or on-line for about $2-3. The mower dealer wanted $35 for a complete pulley. "Its not serviceable".

So, after drilling out all the rivets and welds and using stainless 1/4-20 x 1/2" bolts and nylock nuts, I have a serviceable pulley. I couple coats of flat black makes it look all new again. Our mowers have 3 of these pulleys each so it will pay off. The 'inner' ring was rivets, the 'outer' ring was spot welds. Probably have about $8 in parts. Thought I would pass it along to maybe help someone save some $.

IMG_20160811_202151 (Small).jpg IMG_20160811_202201 (Small).jpg IMG_20160812_065616 (Small).jpg IMG_20160812_065623 (Small).jpg

:ingo:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks.. Pulling the deck off my husqvarna rider 16.. Will see if I can use your fix..
    Parts are not cheap or available.. Always have to order online. It needs new idler pulleys. Thanks again.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Thanks.. Pulling the deck off my husqvarna rider 16.. Will see if I can use your fix..
    Parts are not cheap or available.. Always have to order online. It needs new idler pulleys. Thanks again.

If its the bearing, break/split the pulley down and look up the number on the side of the bearing. I'll bet NAPA or another parts store has them.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I noticed that the bolt pattern wasn't quite symmetrical. Does that have any effect on the balance of the pulley? I realize that the pulleys are small and balance isn't that big of an issue, but I was wondering if you could see bouncing of the belt or pulsing of the pulley when it is engaged?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I noticed that the bolt pattern wasn't quite symmetrical. Does that have any effect on the balance of the pulley? I realize that the pulleys are small and balance isn't that big of an issue, but I was wondering if you could see bouncing of the belt or pulsing of the pulley when it is engaged?

The ID-OD geometry is the same so you won't see any pulsing or bouncing till the off-balanced-ness damages the bearing enough to have play.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    The ID-OD geometry is the same so you won't see any pulsing or bouncing till the off-balanced-ness damages the bearing enough to have play.

If the pulley is used on the engagement arm or tensioner arm, an imbalance could cause a bouncing of the belt or a pulsing of the belt. I have seen this happen before with poorly built pulleys. Most of the time it is slight and won't have any effect on the belt operation. However, if it's severe, it could cause the belt to jump off the pulley and wedge between the pulley and the guard.

In no way am I criticizing repairing and reusing pulleys, I was just curious if the pulley worked well since it had an irregular bolt pattern. :)

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    If the pulley is used on the engagement arm or tensioner arm, an imbalance could cause a bouncing of the belt or a pulsing of the belt. I have seen this happen before with poorly built pulleys. Most of the time it is slight and won't have any effect on the belt operation. However, if it's severe, it could cause the belt to jump off the pulley and wedge between the pulley and the guard.

In no way am I criticizing repairing and reusing pulleys, I was just curious if the pulley worked well since it had an irregular bolt pattern. :)

I noticed that too. The inner circle is round where the rivets were but the spot welds are definitely not. We'll see tomorrow when I put it back on. I'm hoping its not noticeable. Its on a 4" idler arm on the pump drive on a Scag Turf Tiger. I'm hoping the low mass of the outer bolts compared to the overall mass of the steel pulley is negligible. I guess in hind site, I should have re-drilled the outer circle to be round. I might do that. I'll let you know.

Top Bottom