• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    What is the stock lbs of the gen 4 rod assembly spring?

I am looking to change the recoil spring to reduce the recoil. Any suggestions of products to purchase (possibly brand as well)?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What is the stock lbs of the gen 4 rod assembly spring?

I am looking to change the recoil spring to reduce the recoil. Any suggestions of products to purchase (possibly brand as well)?
    What makes you think that changing the RSA will give you less recoil? Unless you are planning on loading some really light or heavy loads the stock RSA should do what you need to do.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    What makes you think that changing the RSA will give you less recoil? Unless you are planning on loading some really light or heavy loads the stock RSA should do what you need to do.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

You did agree with use of tungsten rod assembly or a heavier spring would not lessen the recoil?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You did agree with use of tungsten rod assembly or a heavier spring would not lessen the recoil?

Not sure exactly what you are asking?? but a tungsten guide rod makes the pistol more "nose heavy" and if you had a way to measure probably would give you less felt recoil. The simple fact is that anything that makes the pistol heavier will lessen felt recoil. If there were a way to lessen felt recoil through changing springs Glock would have figured it out. I believe that was one of their goals with the Gen 4 pistols and it hasn't worked out exactly as they had hoped. I've worked on a number of "re-engineered" Glocks that were malfunctioning and the fix has always been put Glock parts back in the pistol. (just had one last week that went full auto on a guy after a little "engineering" on the trigger bar and striker)
    With a given bullet weight and powder charge the same energy will always be present. The only thing you can do is spread the recoil impulse over a longer period of time which results is less "felt" recoil. I'm not sure where you are going with this idea, but as they say, IMHO I don't think you can get there from here.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I meant disagree... not did. Typo.

I see you're point on change of guide rod from gen 3 to 4. However glock is in business to make $ by adding a steel rod would increase the price. I think that would price out the average person who wants to buy a simple glock.

I don't mind pay more for an upgrade for increased performance. I've done a steel rod up grade to my g19. I feel it has helped.

I have not adjusted the factory spring... thus I asked for input on increasing the factory spring.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield

I see you're point on change of guide rod from gen 3 to 4. However glock is in business to make $ by adding a steel rod would increase the price. I think that would price out the average person who wants to buy a simple glock.

I don't mind pay more for an upgrade for increased performance. I've done a steel rod up grade to my g19. I feel it has helped.

I have not adjusted the factory spring... thus I asked for input on increasing the factory spring.

word has it that the gen4 is cheaper to make than the gen4. Some folks have even put Gen3 RSAs in their gen4 GLOCKS. I will simply say, don't Jack with the current internals of the Gen4. Recoil is mild.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    word has it that the gen4 is cheaper to make than the gen4. Some folks have even put Gen3 RSAs in their gen4 GLOCKS. I will simply say, don't Jack with the current internals of the Gen4. Recoil is mild.

^^THIS^^ Leave it alone, Anyone that has had any issues with a Glock or had one choke ha usually done something with the recoil spring or barrel.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

A flat wound spring has always been favored over coil springs and costs more to make. You are correct in assuming that they are in business to make money but I assure you that the gen 4 RSA costs less than the Gen 4. I've found the Gen4 RSA to be much less forgiving where ammo variation is concerned and I guarantee you that it has a shorter lifespan than the Gen 3.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom