• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    What is the best way to carry a Glock 26 OWB without using a belt? My wife wants to carry now on her person vs in her purse. She doesn't was to have to wear a belt. Any ideas?

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yep, my wife does the fanny pack with a 26 when she doesn't have her purse. Good for things like fairs and other active outings.

not much different than a belt though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The glock 26 would be rather heavy to carry without a belt. An option would be a belly band. I like the crossbreed belly band.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    If she wants to carry OWB on her hip...talk her into using a belt. A secure pistol is a happy pistol.

My wife wanted the same thing when we're out "woodsing", 4-wheeling, camping, etc... I told her its best to use a belt...she said she complained and didn't want one, I showed her how the sloppy positioning of a tension style holster doesn't like to release as the angle cants due to lack of stability. I also told her to jog in place and she would see how OWB magnifies the weight of a pistol. Eventually she saw things my way but my wife usually wants the impractical.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If she wants to carry OWB on her hip...talk her into using a belt. A secure pistol is a happy pistol.

My wife wanted the same thing when we're out "woodsing", 4-wheeling, camping, etc... I told her its best to use a belt...she said she complained and didn't want one, I showed her how the sloppy positioning of a tension style holster doesn't like to release as the angle cants due to lack of stability. I also told her to jog in place and she would see how OWB magnifies the weight of a pistol. Eventually she saw things my way but my wife usually wants the impractical.

What holster did you end up getting her?

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    What holster did you end up getting her?

I got her a basic Fobus holster. It has a paddle base that hooks onto a belt and has a tension screw so you can set the "grab". You can remove it without taking off the belt too. She initially didn't like it but once she understood that a holster needed to hold a pistol securely, she liked it. It makes for a sloppy CC but easily hidden if wearing a loner jacket.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Shoulder holster

I actually thought about that since most 20 somethings wear jackets and looser fitting cardigans. However I'm not sure I like the idea of her using a cross draw. Isn't cross draw dangerous? Shooting yourself in the midsection? She isn't as experienced as she needs to be, but if I do get her a shoulder holster and some snap caps to practice. Do you think that would be enough?

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I actually thought about that since most 20 somethings wear jackets and looser fitting cardigans. However I'm not sure I like the idea of her using a cross draw. Isn't cross draw dangerous? Shooting yourself in the midsection? She isn't as experienced as she needs to be, but if I do get her a shoulder holster and some snap caps to practice. Do you think that would be enough?

At no point during drawing, either cross draw or string side, should the muzzle be pointed at yourself. I do not personally like shoulder holsters. Tell her to wear a belt. Carrying a gun isn't trivial. A belt is vital, and if she can't deal with that, she doesn't need to be carrying.

Whatever route you take, train her. Practice. Find what works, and get good at it.

Top Bottom