• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    I have recently started to carry my G27 as my only CCW. I am looking for a guide rod upgrade both to get away from the plastic factory one and to reduce recall.

It seems the .40 cal is a lot more snappier, than I would like. So I am looking for a spring/guide rod upgrade to help this some.

I have looked all over google that there seems to not be a lot of choices or suggestions out there. So I thought I would see what you guys suggest.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have recently started to carry my G27 as my only CCW. I am looking for a guide rod upgrade both to get away from the plastic factory one and to reduce recall.

It seems the .40 cal is a lot more snappier, than I would like. So I am looking for a spring/guide rod upgrade to help this some.

I have looked all over google that there seems to not be a lot of choices or suggestions out there. So I thought I would see what you guys suggest.

You might try

GlockStore.com - Your Ultimate Online Source for Glock Parts and Accessories.

I bought my SS guide rod from them. Always been happy with the service.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Any recoil reduction you get from going to a different guide rod/spring setup is going to be negligible, and in my experience, aftermarket guide rods create more problems than they "solve".

You'll be better off sticking with the factory recoil assembly and spending that money on ammo and training (i.e. learn to shoot the gun as it is), or trading down to a G26.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1, I'd stick with the factory rod. Anything rod will help significantly will be heavy and ruin carriability (and as was mentioned, can be a source of "problems" when you least need them).

Suggest practicing more/learning how to control recoil or, if that doesn't help, consider changing your load. Also, there's nothing that says you have to do all your practice with your duty load. Practice can be mostly with a lighter load, with as much duty load thrown in as you can stand (or afford).

INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    I always thought the factory rod on the glock was the weak point since it was plastic. I can shoot the gun fine, just wanted to try and stop the snap action the .40 seems to bring. I was looking at the dragon fire DUAL ACTION BUFFER SPRING.

Anyone know anything about this? Sounds like you guys think I should just stick with the factory rod. Which is fine just wanted to throw on an upgrade if it would be good.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Any recoil reduction you get from going to a different guide rod/spring setup is going to be negligible, and in my experience, aftermarket guide rods create more problems than they "solve".

You'll be better off sticking with the factory recoil assembly and spending that money on ammo and training (i.e. learn to shoot the gun as it is), or trading down to a G26.

Big +1

If this was just a "fun" gun, then I'd say mod the crap out of it and see what works and what doesn't. But, as this is your CC weapon, I would not take any chances.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I always thought the factory rod on the glock was the weak point since it was plastic.

"Weak" in what respect? Structurally? Then the frame should be a weak point, too. ;)

Bottom line - Glock designed the recoil assembly the way they did for a reason. If it works, leave it alone. If it stops working, replace it with a new one.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Go with the G26 or try some light loads. Federal has some 135 grain Hydra-shok LowRecoil rounds that you might try. Have you tried mag finger extentions? You could also go with a G23, it is not much bigger than a G27 with finger extention.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

As many have said, nothing wrong with the plastic guide rod - and getting one I highly doubt will reduce the chance of a recall.

If you want to upgrade for the glock get some night sights, 5-10+ mags from ombexpress.com for $15.99/mag (and they have fair shipping prices) and 1,000-2,000rds of ammo - load up the mags and head to the range.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I can shoot the gun fine, just wanted to try and stop the snap action the .40 seems to bring.

imho, you should leave this alone. if in fact you shoot the pistol fine, then there really isn't anything you can do to mitigate the effects your experiencing other than technique and familiarity. the combination of the .40 round and the subcompact pistol is going to have a "snappy" recoil impulse. in fact, i find the .40 recoil impulse to be rather snappy in every pistol i've tried.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I agree! Leave it alone.... I have a Sigma 40cal Its basically a Glock with a rough trigger. Its got a "plastic" guide rod. I have had this gun over 5 years. Put over 2500 rounds down the gun and I shoot fast double tap shots. Its still kicking strong. And YES the trigger gets better after 2000rds...lol

popeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Deepest, darkest, Indiana
    Felt recoil on Glocks increases as bullets leave the magazine. Try an A&G grip adapter that allows use of G23 mags in a G27. More weight in butt via more cartridges (more grip to hold onto also) translates into less felt recoil. Slow mo film of Glock compacts show flexing of plastic guide rod during recoil. Not a bad thing.

Top Bottom