• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    [Video] G2R RIP Ammo Independent Test ? It Performs Just as Well as 2X .22LR?s ? Wait, WHAT?!

So, myself, along with several other gun bloggers who have seen various kinds of ammo come and go weren’t overly impressed with the new G2R RIP round that seemed to take the internet by storm.

High speed, fragmenting ammo is nothing new. It’s been tried before to mixed results. Some people even still swear by rounds that do the exact same thing developed years ago. Fine, to each their own. There is definitely a place for ammo that has controlled penetration and creates nasty wounds. It’s very useful were over penetration and collateral damage are concerned.

However, the G2R RIP ammo makes some bold claims. Its marketing slogan is “The last round you’ll ever need”. Well, for me to trust just one round would mean it would need to perform 100% in a variety of situations (something virtually no ammo can do).

Now it seems we have one of the first, if not the first, independent ballistics test of the RIP round.

ShootingTheBull410, who is known for his accurate ballistic gel tests wasn’t too kind on the RIP round in his review.

The video starts by him showing a ballistic gel block that doesn’t look overly amazing, but it looks OK. We have penetration to the 12-14″ range of the main projectile and penetration to around 5″ for the fragmenting section of the round.

However, he then reveals that what we are looking at is in fact 2x .22LR rounds and he then rolls in the actual RIP ballistic gel which looks almost identical. As he points out in the video, the main part of the project does penetrate deeper than 12″, but not by a lot. Also, by that point, the round has already lost a good bit of its mass by shedding it’s “trocars”.

The trocars, which are the big selling point of the round only penetrated about 1.5 – 4.5″ in ballistics gel. Keep in mind this is straight up gel. Clothing, muscles, tendons and bone are going to reduce that quite a bit in real world situations.

As I said before, I’ll stick with premium 124-147gr offerings from the big ammo makers in their proven JHP designs. It’s not that I don’t want to see innovative bullet design, because I certainly do. However, I just think if high speed, fragmenting rounds were the way to go it would already be all the rage.

[video=youtube;psGFPRpWZ3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGFPRpWZ3w#t=16[/video]
    Share your thoughts everyone.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. If it splits into so many fragments, what keeps it from breaking off and hitting a bystander?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. If it splits into so many fragments, what keeps it from breaking off and hitting a bystander?

That fact that it has to be in the body to break up.

...but in any event, this type of "performance" is just what many of us surmised would happen. But hey, if I have any wild water balloons to take out....

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

It doesn't break apart in flight, it breaks apart in the body.

When I first saw the hype I was reminded of another product years ago that would supposedly penetrate ballistic vests, yet still fragment into dozens of fragments on entry into the body. This seems to be little better.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why is he wasting so much time comparing one round of RIP to two different rounds of 22 fired at the same block?

I don't think that part was anything terribly important or illuminating. He just thought it was interesting that he could simulate the ballistic effects of the RIP with multiple shots of some of the weakest ammo you could find. You could do the same thing to simulate 12ga buckshot with multiple 22s.

He did post the second half of his analysis here: G2 Research's RIP Ammo- Ballistic Testing, Phase Two | The Truth About Guns

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    We as the shooting community should be offended by ammunition and products of this nature, so called "wonder products", most of which have dubious abilities and fail to conform to physics actually required to stop (maybe not kill, but stop) an offender without overpenetration.

With the internet nowadays, we have massive amounts of information available to us (officer involved shootings, round testing, ballistics requirements developed by police and citizen shooters to effectively stop threats without causing collateral damage, but yet defeat barriers commonly encountered in real life).

This isn't the 80s where we can be suckered by Glasers (and just like Glasers, I'm waiting for someone to have this round empty a cylinder into a van-jacker and get killed, with the van-jacker alive and leaving the hospital). And this isn't a discussion about how modern, EFFECTIVE, TIME TESTED rounds are a fad, like the "light and fast" fad of the late 80s, this is pure, ineffective, untested gibberish. Oh, yeah, I've seen their tests, in uncalibrated gel and mediocre penetration and tissue disruption. Want to wow me and 90%+ of the shooting world? Have it succeed in a test that conforms to something that we use for the standard, such as the FBI test, not with uncalibrated, unevenly made Perma-gel.

By making these products, they are stating, to the shooting community, "You are stupid, we have used 'science' to disprove what decades of shooting incidents and believe you aren't capable of making an educated decision based on time tested facts". Willing to bet they think Doctor Gary Roberts is "just a dentist" or that the IWBA is a gimmicked organization as well. These are the kids that think they can BS and dazzle their way out of doing a good science project when presenting it, only to have the teacher call them out at every turn.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    200gr 10mm seems to penetrate more reliably to greater depths.

I'll stay where I'm at.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I want to see TNOutdoors9 test it. I would also be interested in seeing a direct comparison to something like a Hornady Critical Duty (or Defense) which have the FTX to prevent clogging of the hollowpoint.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    [video=youtube;fObgiaKTDNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fObgiaKTDNQ[/video]

There's a liability and a half going on... If you hit someone's limbs, you're now not going to be able to control where the projectiles end up. This effectively means you can no longer take a shot unless in a 100% desolate place.

The people who designed this ammo don't have a clue what they're doing. That should be evident enough when you hear the ridiculous sales pitch of "IT SAWS THROUGH WOOD!!!!"

Yes, because rotating 1 time for every 10 inches of forward travel is going to saw through anything... No, it punches through, like every other bullet ever made.

There appears to be little to no energy dump going on either. This would be like stabbing someone a few times with a pocket knife, absolutely stupid anemic round.

Just more BS like this stuff was:
    top_2.jpg

This is what happens when your target audience is elmer fudd.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    LGS near me said it would run around $50 a box. Wasn't sure if he even wanted to stock it. I think I'll stick with Hornady or HST. Good products don't need to be hyped. Let performance sell your product.

Top Bottom