• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I bought a house a few months ago on a dead end road in a fairly rural area outside of town. I live toward the end of my road and next to an open field. I have no "next door" neighbors. I used to have my game camera on a post on a swing set that the previous owners left behind. Only one person in my area knew it was there and he's a shady character and the one I think stole it. It has been there since thanksgiving weekend. I last checked it a couple weeks ago and went out to get the SD card today and it was gone. Now I want to catch the thief. I'm thinking of putting another cheap camera back there as a decoy and then a couple more in nearby trees and maybe one up on my deck which is not accessible from outside the house to get a glimpse of the thief. Any ideas or input is appreciated. I'm just incredibly pi$$ed off at the moment and I realize that it's just a $100 camera but I can't stand thieves, especially on my property.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm wanting to say all sorts of things that involved electricty and explosives, but I'm not going to do that. Land mines, tar pits, snake pits? (no too cold for snakes), poison darts??
    A big old Tiger pit with bamboo spikes comes to mind ...

I really feel for you. Thieves tick me off.
    I'm really partial to a video security system. I've gone on and on about it in the past so I'll spare you.
    But even if I get broke into again, I'm going to find out who did it. It allows me to survey my property (right now by looking over my left shoulder where all the cams on up on my big screen TV).

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I'm wanting to say all sorts of things that involved electricty and explosives, but I'm not going to do that. Land mines, tar pits, snake pits? (no too cold for snakes), poison darts??
    A big old Tiger pit with bamboo spikes comes to mind ...

I really feel for you. Thieves tick me off.
    I'm really partial to a video security system. I've gone on and on about it in the past so I'll spare you.
    But even if I get broke into again, I'm going to find out who did it. It allows me to survey my property (right now by looking over my left shoulder where all the cams on up on my big screen TV).

I've thought about the electricity (I'm a lineman so I can get creative) and a few well-placed bear traps, but my luck, the two younger girls that ride their quads in the field and woods next to me would decide to play on the swing set and then I'd feel bad for hurting them while trying to catch the meth head that stole my camera (most likely their dad). But I looked into the spypoint w2s and I will most likely be ordering them very soon

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Sounds like you got a good plan already. Make sure to hide the other cameras well so the thief wont be deterred. Also I would stay on my toes, if there's someone around willing to steal things off your property its hard telling what else they could be up to.

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    I have had a camera stolen before. It never ceases to amaze me what people will do for things they want and thats not theirs. Someone mention earlier they would take anything not bolted down......well you would think. But tree stands that are chained/locked won't stop some people.

I like your plan though, hope you catch the scum bag.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Enclose it in a cheap bird house. Birdhouses don't look out of place nailed to a tree. No one steals birdhouses and they won't think to look for a camera inside it.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I bought a cheaper Meanards game cam for $39 in December. I have it set out on my property. I also have a hidden camera facing the cheap one that can be seen. I hid it in a hole in a tree stump. I don't get up to the proerty much, but will this wekend to see if it is still there. And to pick up my nice tripod stand somebody has set up on the back of the property.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Traps would be a nono, but "I've had two cameras stolen, and here's a picture of a guy stealing the second one" would be solid gold, legally. I had a neighbor getting squirrelly on me and put a video camera on the property line, with a warning. The trouble decreased considerably.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'd be careful setting up an traps (video or physical), you could get sued for failure to provide a safe working environment for the thief....

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I'm not going to use traps strictly because I don't want any kids getting caught in them but I'll bait him In with another camera and some old scrap copper pipe and wire placed outside my garage or in the bed of my truck. Thieves can't resist copper. Plus I ran the guys record that I think stole it and he has multiple drug charges, carrying a concealed weapon, resisting arrest, criminal trespassing, and another charge related to failure to pay up on some sort of contract.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Set up the second cam make sure he spends some time in the area so you get several photos of him then call the sheriffs office give them a copy of the pictures and let them do their job. If he is a drug dealer or whatever that will give them a reason to get a search warrant and seal the deal on possibly several things. You might even contact them first they may have a loaner.

sixty8firebird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    SE IN
    I got my spypoint tiny w2s today. Now im waiting on the security box for it and I just need to get my buddy's broken game camera for bait and set up my surveillance system and wait for the thief to come back. Thanks for the tips and info

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got my spypoint tiny w2s today. Now im waiting on the security box for it and I just need to get my buddy's broken game camera for bait and set up my surveillance system and wait for the thief to come back. Thanks for the tips and info

Folks move out to the country all the time to get away from thieves. Just not possible. People suck in general.
    Our BOL has been vandalized once and we have missing tree stands. Pretty sure who did it as they are idiots an not hard to track but no hard evidence so LEO can only let them know that we know.
    We are setting up cameras to catch the little Bastardies even if it is just trespassing on their 4 wheelers. We see the tracks all the time. ****ing idiots.

Top Bottom