• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thecapn2004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    Brownsburg
    I browsed through the Avon store a couple days ago and walked out with nothing. No bargains to be had at all. Perhaps when it gets closer to a hard stop closing date.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Keep in mind a third party bought a majority of the in-store assets. Not sure if firearms and ammo were included, but that buyer may be making the decisions on how much to discount merchandise.

thecapn2004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2017
    Brownsburg
    I believe the liquidator bought everything except for the guns. They typically mark everything to MSRP then do the "discount".

I am hoping the prices start dropping as we get closer to the actual closing date in order to get a good deal on something. The problem with Gander was it was really rare if you found a bargain or a sale worth while to purchase something. Most of what I purchased from them was stuff I need to have right then and did not want to wait for it to ship.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Just stopped by this evening. Not impressed at all. Most of their "discounted prices" were still more than I pay online for some items. Items tended to be their normal MSRP marked down only 10-20% (so normal pricing). The cashier noted what was said previous. The third party who bought them is just trying to see what sells and will use the remaining inventory to re-open a chain of locations he's rebranding "Gander Outdoors." The only stuff really marked with much of any real discount were leftover pajama packages from Xmas. I left with just what I went looking for... three pairs of kids rubber boots (Itasca) that were marked fair enough.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just stopped by this evening. Not impressed at all. Most of their "discounted prices" were still more than I pay online for some items. Items tended to be their normal MSRP marked down only 10-20% (so normal pricing). The cashier noted what was said previous. The third party who bought them is just trying to see what sells and will use the remaining inventory to re-open a chain of locations he's rebranding "Gander Outdoors." The only stuff really marked with much of any real discount were leftover pajama packages from Xmas. I left with just what I went looking for... three pairs of kids rubber boots (Itasca) that were marked fair enough.

My understanding is that one guy bought the name, intellectual property and the real estate. It was another party that bought the inventory. But I've certainly been wrong before.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Was at the Castleton store earlier and no huge savings. Sign on the entrance says all firearms 5% off. Spoke
    with the cashier as to when their final day is and she didn't know. She said that the Greenwood GM made the cut to be rebranded Gander Outdoors and that the Castleton Store was also a 'profitable' store and likely to remain open. They are hoping to hear tomorrow. Still plenty of inventory and not really like your typical going out of business type
    savongs and activity.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I saw a sign this past Saturday being posted at the intersection near the Fort Wayne location that read something like 15% off firearms and 40% off something else (can't remember now).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I saw a sign this past Saturday being posted at the intersection near the Fort Wayne location that read something like 15% off firearms and 40% off something else (can't remember now).

I saw a couple of their TV ads this past weekend saying "up to 40% off" but they made no mention of guns. They also didn't mention the Greenwood and Avon stores remaining open, so maybe that's changed, or maybe it's just a national ad and they didn't want to bother with the exceptions (if there still are exceptions).

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I saw a couple of their TV ads this past weekend saying "up to 40% off" but they made no mention of guns. They also didn't mention the Greenwood and Avon stores remaining open, so maybe that's changed, or maybe it's just a national ad and they didn't want to bother with the exceptions (if there still are exceptions).

Saw those ads on TV. Ya' gotta' love that "UP TO 40% off" hook. I recall that all the current inventory was being sold by a third party. The TV ads also say they are closing all 126 stores. Perhaps they are just changing the name to Gander Outdoors. You'll find this on their website.

Our new company is Gander Outdoors, help us build it. Send us your best logo ideas for our new brand. The winner will receive $100,000. Plus, 99 other entrants will each receive a $1,000 gift card.
    Submissions due by June 10, 2017
    Submit your logo design ideas to newlogo@ganderoutdoors.com and Tweet directly to @marcuslemonis. Your submission must include the hashtag #ganderoutdoors

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I went to the gander mountain on 86th street and the prices were a joke.
    Some of the 9mm totaled to 50 cents per round.
    This was the bulk ammo...

I am positive they marked everything up before they started this going out of business sale.

Also, they put 15% off stickers on all of the tags on all of the guns
    WHICH COVERED ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THE TAG.
    It covered the whole tag and said 15% off.
    You could not tell anything about the gun, you just had to know your guns really really well to find anything.

The did have an interesting AMT Backup 380 for about $140.00 that I asked to look at.
    The clerk got it out and could not figure out how to lock the slide back.
    I told him that quite a few 380's do not have slide locks.
    He didn't believe me and was very reluctant to give me a pistol with the slide not locked open.
    He finally did but I was already so put out by the lack of ANYTHING on sale that I just left.

I now know why they are closing...

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Gander Mountain has NOTHING to do with current prices, they are gone. A liquidation company bought every peice of gear in the former company, they are setting the prices. Gander had horrible pricing on their own, but this isn't their deal now.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Many years ago, my family owned a furniture store which went out of business. A liquidation company was brought in for the "going out of business" sale and it was quite fascinating to see from the inside. The liquidation company set all of the pricing, did all of the advertising, and even brought in their own inventory to be sold. They continued to replenish the inventory for as long as there was money to be made, and then moved on to the next "going out of business" sale.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Your friend was lucky.... I had $100 in Gander Bucks and neither the Castleton or Greenwood stores would honor them. Additionally they have signs up that the Gander Mountain credit cards are no longer accepted.

They mailed me a credit card application this weekend. I slipped and tore it in two while trying to open it

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gander Mountain has NOTHING to do with current prices, they are gone. A liquidation company bought every peice of gear in the former company, they are setting the prices. Gander had horrible pricing on their own, but this isn't their deal now.
    Maybe the liquidators are from out east or so. cal. and they're going by prices out there?

Top Bottom