Gander Mountain in TH no longer selling guns after Jan. 1st?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I was at a little gun shop the other day in Clinton, In (the name escapes me, it is a new place) and we were just talking about what he could get. After shooting the breeze, he said, "I'll be one of the only ones around with some guns in stock, since Gander Mountain won't anymore. I asked what he meant, and he said, "From what I hear, their sales on guns are the lowest of all of the Gander Mountain stores, and HQ wants to do away with that department."

Is there any truth to this, or is he trying to solidify his new business?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have not heard anything on this, however it would surprise me for a Gander to not carry guns.

But, from what I hear, they will not sell to an Illinois resident. And, I would assume a large customer base for this store is Illinois residents.

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    I'm glad they GM doesnt sell many guns. I quit looking in there when I would pass through TH because I realized I could get guns and ammo cheaper by driving an hour or so to Indy and still be ahead after paying for gas. Chiseling bastards are way to expensive.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    Very true Want2ShootMore, but it was one of the only places around that had some variety, and the ability to go and get a feel for it before ordering it. I know I'm not the only one that would go there to handle a gun and see if I liked it, then go to my normal dealer and order from them.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I was at a little gun shop the other day in Clinton, In (the name escapes me, it is a new place) and we were just talking about what he could get. After shooting the breeze, he said, "I'll be one of the only ones around with some guns in stock, since Gander Mountain won't anymore. I asked what he meant, and he said, "From what I hear, their sales on guns are the lowest of all of the Gander Mountain stores, and HQ wants to do away with that department."

Is there any truth to this, or is he trying to solidify his new business?

M&S Armament. Neat little place. I do sort of know the fellas that work there, I don't think they would do that. But i've been fooled before. I was in there a few weeks ago on a visit back to the area. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    They were very helpful and nice, which made me feel like he was telling me verbatim what he had heard, hopefully this was the case. I hope he does well, from our small conversation, he said that he was keeping very busy.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Gander

Gander Mountain is nothing but a clothing store with a few over priced guns and some way over priced ammo, anyway. The Greenwood store is dropping reloading components. I checked for a closeout deal on powder last week. It was marked down to about normal retail. They also no longer have guns out where the "customers" can screw them up. I liked being able to handle one now and then but I've seen too many people banging them around to ever buy one that was out on the rack. "New" guns with scratches and dents? None for me, thanks. :noway:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I seriously doubt they stop selling guns. GM is supposed to be the largest gun seller in the US. Even if they were the lowest producer, I just personally dont see it happening.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    M&S Armament. Neat little place. I do sort of know the fellas that work there, I don't think they would do that. But i've been fooled before. I was in there a few weeks ago on a visit back to the area. :dunno:

That's the name of the place in Clinton? I am from there and get back every so often. Where is it located?

I don't know about GM, but we are getting a new shop called MyGunVault on S. 3rd in Ellis Plaza.

I'm also very interested in shops in Terre Haute because, like Clinton, I go through there often and would most certainly make it a point to stop. Are there any others in TH?

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I personally like GM; at least to look anyway. Their prices are high, but like I said, I usually don't buy when I shop there. A person can find a good deal on used guns though. I would highly recommend their used gun section. They also have good gunsmith's too.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    That's the name of the place in Clinton? I am from there and get back every so often. Where is it located?

I'm also very interested in shops in Terre Haute because, like Clinton, I go through there often and would most certainly make it a point to stop. Are there any others in TH?

It is located across 163 from the Hardee's. If you are on 163 going towards 63, then it will be on your right, you can't miss it, there is a nice sign up.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Haivng been in about half of Gander's stores around the country, I can safely say TH store already has one of the lower selections and inventories around. Having been in stores of theirs with the Gander Academy, I can certainly hope they'd reinvent the system and make it so it's a place that's worth shopping at, but the TH store's stock is so low you're better driving to greenfield to find what you want, cause odds are the TH store won't have it.

Top Bottom