Gander Mountain Sucks...but maybe not today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm sure it doesn't go down like this all the time...but today was impressed.

There I was...wandering a store that sucks... Guy came in with a XDm of some sort(full size...maybe 9 mm) asking what he could get out of it.. They said they could give him 350 for it as selling it new they'd get about 599 and being used they'd sell it for 499 or so. Told him they give 60% of retail for used guns. They told him he could easily get 450-500 out of it on Armslist. He was nervous about selling it online for fear of getting shot when he sold it. Probably a guy that bought it last year when everyone was scrambling waiting on the federal ban hammer to hit. He looked pretty uncomfortable around it. I thought about piping in my opinion on places and experiences selling but decided he looked a bit scared anyway and my carhart screamed 'warm redneck' so didn't want to scare him of us 'maniacs'.

Regardless, they told him he could get money from it elsewhere and didn't lie and fleece him of his shiny firearm(thing looked never fired). I was confused and checked the signs for as much as I've heard the place sucks. I was able to confirm their ammo prices suck which helped me confirm I was actually in Gander...but found a decent deal for the times on .30-30 so I can have fun with my lever action this summer.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Gander Bashing posts...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm sure it doesn't go down like this all the time...but today was impressed.

There I was...wandering a store that sucks... Guy came in with a XDm of some sort(full size...maybe 9 mm) asking what he could get out of it.. They said they could give him 350 for it as selling it new they'd get about 599 and being used they'd sell it for 499 or so. Told him they give 60% of retail for used guns. They told him he could easily get 450-500 out of it on Armslist. He was nervous about selling it online for fear of getting shot when he sold it. Probably a guy that bought it last year when everyone was scrambling waiting on the federal ban hammer to hit. He looked pretty uncomfortable around it. I thought about piping in my opinion on places and experiences selling but decided he looked a bit scared anyway and my carhart screamed 'warm redneck' so didn't want to scare him of us 'maniacs'.

Regardless, they told him he could get money from it elsewhere and didn't lie and fleece him of his shiny firearm(thing looked never fired). I was confused and checked the signs for as much as I've heard the place sucks. I was able to confirm their ammo prices suck which helped me confirm I was actually in Gander...but found a decent deal for the times on .30-30 so I can have fun with my lever action this summer.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Gander Bashing posts...

I'd be more surprised if Gander was selling an XDm anywhere near 599.00.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Gander is odd. The prices generally are not very competitive; but occasionally you find something at an incredibly good price; almost as if it has been miss-marked. One thing I'll say for them, they've never failed to honor their price matching policy. If you can show them evidence of the same item cheaper somewhere else, they'll sell it to you for that price.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I took a shotgun there a while ago to see what they would give me, they told me the exact same thing, 60% of value, they said they would give me 120 for it, the guy then said i could easily get more selling it myself, thats exactly what i did, sold it on here for $200, was very sad since it was my first shotgun ever and really liked it, but it was time for the auto loader! Gander prices are high, yup, and they are getting those prices, we all would charge those prices if we could, and we know it. i go there to shop, i go on here to buy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Gander is odd. The prices generally are not very competitive; but occasionally you find something at an incredibly good price; almost as if it has been miss-marked. One thing I'll say for them, they've never failed to honor their price matching policy. If you can show them evidence of the same item cheaper somewhere else, they'll sell it to you for that price.

I've purchased several firearms from them at GREAT prices. The ones I did buy weren't mismarked - just good prices.

And the ONE that I did see was mis-marked, I declined since I was a newly wed (or soon to be, can't remember) I called back later in the day to secure it; but someone had bought it. It was a VERY nice H&K P7M8 that was being sold as a regular P7. *sigh*

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've purchased several firearms from them at GREAT prices. The ones I did buy weren't mismarked - just good prices.

And the ONE that I did see was mis-marked, I declined since I was a newly wed (or soon to be, can't remember) I called back later in the day to secure it; but someone had bought it. It was a VERY nice H&K P7M8 that was being sold as a regular P7. *sigh*

This is the only reason I go into Gander, i'll head to the used section to see what might be under-priced. Typically though it's things like used Kahrs for 600.00 or something ridiculous.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This comes up again and again. The other day I was in GM and asked what the selling price is for a Shield 9mm. $399. PSS: $399. Bradis: $409

That doesn't look like they are overpriced to me. Even online, by the time you pay FFL transfer and shipping, you are over all those prices.

Shotgun shells are another item. I have found no place with lower prices on the shells I use for Trap all season long. I buy them 10 boxes at a time and get an additional 5% off. Even Wally World is higher.

For $10, I would buy at Bradis because I like them except that I live in Lafayette and if I factor the gas, I would be paying more like $25 more.

Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Like to use the local stores, but sometimes Gander just has what you need when you need it while other stores do not. Shame really but that is the way it is.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I found a holster there tonight for my hi power. It's nice to have a place that carries so much in stock. I've purchased items online and sometimes you get some misses and it can be a hassle.

9x18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    Central Florida
    It weird because here in Central Fl they are actually competitive with their prices, usually the local gun shops spike their prices way up, or I just don't want to deal with their shady/horrible customer service. I bough couple guns from gander, would cost me the same if I got online and went thru ffl. Oh ffl transfer here is 50, if you want any lower then you have to drive. It kind of suck, because some big shop are great in customer service and I want to deal with them, but their prices are too much and then there is shops who never have anything and act like their doing me a favor. So gander kind of fits in the middle for me.

hoobilly65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Generally they are high, but needed some range rounds for my new 9 I picked up at the Indy 1500 last weekend. So at $17, I didnt feel to raped...

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I've bought some guns from them. I liked them a lot before the remodel. They salesman were always helpful. I could also buy clothes there too. :)

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in the north Indy store. I asked about a gun that they didn't have in stock. A guy at the counter walked me to a computer to check if it was listed on their web site, which it wasn't (which I figured). All he said was, "Keep checking it see if it's there, then order it if it is." He didn't at all offer to order me one. I thought that was strange, as they use to offer special orders? Oh well.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I've bought some guns from them. I liked them a lot before the remodel. They salesman were always helpful. I could also buy clothes there too. :)

A few weeks ago, I happened to be in the north Indy store. I asked about a gun that they didn't have in stock. A guy at the counter walked me to a computer to check if it was listed on their web site, which it wasn't (which I figured). All he said was, "Keep checking it see if it's there, then order it if it is." He didn't at all offer to order me one. I thought that was strange, as they use to offer special orders? Oh well.

Edited to keep people from getting angry.

Last edited:

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I like Gander and appreciate any retailer that sells guns in today's environment. I bought a used Beretta a few years ago at a very good price. The next year I bought a rifle at a fair price.

They are what they are....Big Box retailer that lacks small shop expertise and service. I just don't understand the bashing of Gander.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    I dropped in the Greenwood Gander yesterday to look at the used guns. Saw an average condition stainless Colt Combat Commander for $1199 and two stock Bushmaster AR's over $1k.... :flamethrower:

Top Bottom