• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Was in Gander Mountain this morning, 0930 or so, and an employee actually came over to me and ask if I needed any help. Ok, that was a plus for them. I asked if they had any .22LR ammo. He answered "Nope", turned around a walked away. I thought that a little rudish. Anyway they had plenty boxes of 12ga. 00Buck, so I got a couple boxes.

Started off good and ended sour. Where do they find their help?

Dagoney22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NWI-Merrillville
    Well, after 4 months of people constantly asking for stuff that they know 90% of stores are out of....I would imagine its hard to keep a smile on your face after the 100th time of being asked for .22 LR....nope. how about .223....nope. what about 9mm....nope.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Was in Gander Mountain this morning, 0930 or so, and an employee actually came over to me and ask if I needed any help. Ok, that was a plus for them. I asked if they had any .22LR ammo. He answered "Nope", turned around a walked away. I thought that a little rudish. Anyway they had plenty boxes of 12ga. 00Buck, so I got a couple boxes.

Started off good and ended sour. Where do they find their help?

He asked if he could help you, then answered your question. What more did you expect? You got more than I EVER have at GM! Usually have to chase them down.

GlockRyan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Terre Haute
    The only thing I go to Gander Mountain for in my town is to get a "laugh" at how incompetent the employee's are about the products that they're supposed to be selling! I have had to bite my tongue many times whenever they give customers wrong information and bad purchasing advice.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A bit rude, yeah. After I help customers I always finish with "Is there anything else I can help you with?" To me, it's a polite way of saying, 'okay are you done with me?' I'm more than willing to help them with something else if they need it, but if not, I'll get back to work. I just want to make sure they don't leave it a bad taste in their mouth because they think I'm rude and/or dismissive.

I gotta admit though, my recent Gander visit was a darn good one. I guess I just got the right employee because he walked up and asked if I had been helped, went to the back to check stock for a gun I asked about, and then stuck with me the entire way through the purchase and was very helpful and courteous. There was not hassle, and I quickly picked up a firearm. So as much as we rag on Gander, I figured I'd share my good experience cuz you never know, they might just impress you.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I was in the Terre Haute Gander Mountain a few nights ago and went to the gun section and I was shocked - I was asked by three different workers behind the counter if they could help me. Wow, I never expected that nice service. All the workers looked new and not the usual ones I've seen behind the counter that ignore people. I wonder if one of the supervisors at that store reads forums like this and comments and maybe told their employees to stop ignoring customers.

My brother still does not like Gander Mountain though. He's had it with the stuck up attitude he feels the employees have, even the front check out employees. Only store that I really hate because they treat customers like they are stupid is H.H. Gregg. I hate that store with a passion. Gander Mountain is not as bad as H.H. Gregg, yet.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    The only thing I go to Gander Mountain for in my town is to get a "laugh" at how incompetent the employee's are about the products that they're supposed to be selling! I have had to bite my tongue many times whenever they give customers wrong information and bad purchasing advice.

thats cause your going to the terrible haute. The remodel in Castleton and Greenwood is awesome. Castleton got roughly 3000 new guns the other day.... Still no ammo.

Last edited:

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was at the Castleton store and the guy asked me if I could find something. I said I was looking for 22LR and he was very pleasant. told me when it comes in and said get here early. I said I am not hard up that yet.

Beauty sleep > 22LR

Dagoney22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NWI-Merrillville
    Castleton and Greenwood locations look pretty cool so far. The guys there told me there will be 5000+guns at each location. then the store up in Merrillville will be doing the same thing.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I would like to again reiterate the fact that you are not going to get "expert advice" from a $9/hr big box employee. Are there qualified employees working at GM, I'm sure there are. But you are going to be hard pressed walking up to the average employee and expect to get expert service. It's no different than going to Lowes or Home Depot and expect to talk to a master plumber or another sort of tradesman. You may catch a retired expert working there, but in my experience they are few and far between.

What's the solution? I'm guessing it's do your own homework and not rely on someone else's opinion to get you by.

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    I don't get real great service from GM in greenwood,but then again i don't expect to get great service from a big chain store. Like the one guy said good service is about as rare as unicorns.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I just stopped at Castleton Gander. They certainly have A LOT of guns. I mainly looked at handguns. Gen4 G27 was $699. A Kahr PM9 was $979. I don't see myself ever being desperate enough to pay those type of prices. I would like to go back and spend some time looking at semi auto shotguns, maybe they are priced a little better?

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    GM

I read the complaints about stores and have to wonder if any of the complainers have worked retail before. I worked it for over 15 years all the way to managing a store. It was amazing how many people came in and would ask with an attitude for something at the end of a sale if we had any left even though the ads stated quantities limited, get mad, start swearing and talking degrading, call the corporate office and complain that they were treated rudely. I had this happen on several occasions about me and I know that wasn't how they were treated. They just didn't get what they wanted and decided to #$%&# about it.

Another poster in this thread mentioned that people want an expert to talk to. Are you really going to find an expert who is going to take a $9.00 hr job to put up with people who don't think he is an expert anyway because his opinion is different than theirs?

Unless you've worked retail and know what your talking about, give them a break. They truly don't get paid enough to put up with what they get usually on a daily basis.

And before people start to flame....I know, I know..every time you go to the store your innocent, have done nothing wrong and the terrible person just started being mean. Or maybe it's the look on your face as you look at the empty shelves of ammo so they walk before they have to be abused again for something they have no control over.

Either way it's easy to be able to tell only 1 side of the story.

Last edited:

Kraaken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Similar rude experience at GM - they just dont care - a bunch of mouth breathing clock punchers at my store...

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I've actually never had an issue at GM. I also don't go into any big box store with very high expectations. I also consider myself a fairly pleasant person. I'm not knocking either side of the conversation. Just sharing my personal experience there.

Top Bottom