• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    It's really quite simple. Because Gander's prices aren't great by any stretch of the imagination, these following things are even more important than normal!

Ensure that the guys at the gun counter are

1. Helpful
    2. Courteous
    3. Friendly
    4. Cheerful
    5. Knowledgeable
    I can tell you from experience that those guys who work there are none of the first 4. I don't know about the 5th because they never talk or even acknowledge my presence.

That post absolutely describes the Fort Wayne Gander. You have to seek them out even though you're right at the counter looking at the employee. They also seem "put out" when asked any question. Prices usually suck on firearms. Very high. Makes H&H look like 21st! '

Only gun things I get there are the big vats of Hoppe's that I can't seem to find elsewhere.

Over priced + poor service = Failure

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The only things I look for are the browning a dealer items I can't get elsewhere.

I bought the browning buckmark rifle with carbon fiber barrel, and a 7-08 takedown 81 stainless shot show special (which was special ordered). Thank goodness someone buys enough forearms for me to get these locally.

I like to look at ammo and I am glad it is not behind the counter. 4 times I have seen the gangbangers arrested for shoplifting ammo while coming into the store. (hasleton) Thanks for catching them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That post absolutely describes the Fort Wayne Gander. You have to seek them out even though you're right at the counter looking at the employee.

Yep. Ft. Wayne.
    That's the one that had TWO workers behind the case doing nothing more than talking to each other...I stood there and made eye contact. Got ignored.
    I said "hello" and got ignored. I pointed to a Ruger I wanted to see and waved them over...and got ignored. I started tapping on the glass with my car keys! And got ignored.
    I gave up after a good long while, walked away, found my spousal unit and told him to go see how long it would take HIM to get noticed as a potential customer if HE walked up there... 35 fricken seconds.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Terre Haute Gander

I try to avoid this place and support the local "Mom and Pop" type gunshops. When I have to go there, this has been my experience:

1. The ammo is mislabeled as to price. In other words I pick up a box of something I need, but when I check out it rings up at a higher price that what the tag on the shelf said. In each case (and this has probably happened seven times) I took the clerk to show them the labels and they said that somebody must have moved the labels. There is either a shelf stocking/labeling problem or this is being done on purpose.

2. I get ignored at the counter and the guy acts like he is put out to come over and talk to me. I am not a young guy. I am 41 and I wear a suit and tie. I definately look like someone who has money and might buy something so the treatment I get there puzzles me.

3. Poor selection of slings. They have tons of guns for sale and like half a row of slings; all with the same type of attachements and almost all of the same design.

My suggestion: If they are in the business of selling then they need to get to it and help their customers. There are other places to buy guns and ammo. Their prices have already made them a last resort for me.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I went to the Castleton store a few days ago and found the experience the opposite of normal. Large selection of ammo, overpriced but they had everything. Plenty of help in every department I visited including the gun case and I was asked many times if I needed help.
    I even found primers available...

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I really don't get the same experience as most of you guys. While Ganders new prices are always too high, oftentimes their used prices are very reasonable, if not downright excellent (a Sig 226 for $400 is an excellent price, regardless of cosmetic condition).

As for service, I've never had any problem at all. Granted, a friend of mine works in Castleton, but even while I'm waiting to have him show me things or to talk to him, I'm frequently asked by other gun counter employees if I'd like to see anything. Moreover, I'm 22 years old, and I don't look like your average gun buyer. I'm usually wearing designer clothes, jeans, t-shirts, fashionable blazers, with nary a hint of woodland camo in sight.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My one complaint is that their ammo prices seem to be too high. I hold my nose and go to Wal Mart for 22LRs. I like their lines of clothing and buy much from them. They should probably expand their clothing areas to increase sales. The stores do seem to be fairly customer free when I go in which is at least twice a month. They probably need to figure out how to get more customers in there or there will soon be two empty buildings in Castleton and Greenwood. I personally would really hate to see that happen as I just do not feel comfortable going into a Dicks which seems like the Wal Mart of sporting goods. Gander Mountain usually has anything that I need when I go there with something in mind. I would not buy a gun there unless they were having a sale that makes their prices more competitive.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Prices!

:dunno: Which ever one he is going to be at get the price lables correct! Many times I've went to the one in Castleton and can't figure out the price of ammo or other things case the shelf lable is missing or in the wrong place or some thing like that and they dont have Price Checkers like Wally world and Pennys. Just generally poor organization in the gun section. And most of the time if there is no one there to answer questions or they are busy I'll just leave. It would be nice if their reloading section was better, but maybe they feel they can't compete with mail order or the Indy 1500. :patriot:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    All of Gander's prices are too high. Their guns, their ammo, their clothing, their camping/fishing supplies, etc., etc. I do like to go there to peruse the merchandise and maybe buy something on occasion that I might not find anywhere else, but that's about it.

I've experienced the same thing at the gun counter as the other ladies. They don't like talking to me for some reason. What a shame.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've experienced the same thing at the gun counter as the other ladies. They don't like talking to me for some reason. What a shame.

That makes no sense to me. Why would you want to talk to a dude when you could be talking to a woman? :scratch:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    That makes no sense to me. Why would you want to talk to a dude when you could be talking to a woman? :scratch:

Maybe it's because the prices are too high and they know it. They must be aware that women have a natural instinct to "bargain shop". Gander is not known for their bargains which makes it very unlikely they'll make a sale to a woman in the gun department... so why should they bother with women at all.

I wonder... do they work on commission at Gander?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Every since fear was put on the masses, Gander has gouged the masses as well. I don't like the fact that their ammo is out-of-control, they sell way to much s*i^ from China, and overall they have pretty **** poor customer service. I am just speaking of the County Line store, but I guess in the Gander world; that store is the brunt of many jokes. Anyway, when I asked a person in there what they were going to do if Cabela's comes, the person told me they would just have to price match. To me that means they are charging way too much.:dunno: I do like the fact that they have an indoor bow range. I like the selection of firearms, and I like their abundance of fishing gear. My:twocents:

Top Bottom