• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So....I've decided to get a little self reliant this year. My wife and I are going to start a small garden with the plan of dehydrating / jarring what we don't eat.

Starting simple, just planting bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. All from starter plants.

Anybody know when these will show up at stores and when to plant them? I live in NW Indiana if that means anything temperature wise. thanks.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    So....I've decided to get a little self reliant this year. My wife and I are going to start a small garden with the plan of dehydrating / jarring what we don't eat.

Starting simple, just planting bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. All from starter plants.

Anybody know when these will show up at stores and when to plant them? I live in NW Indiana if that means anything temperature wise. thanks.

You should check with national weather service for last frost/freeze dates in your area. Plants normally show up before then, but you take a risk putting them out then. Our last frost dates here just north of Indy vary from year to year as we are right on the border between month of April and month of May. I can usually push May 1st and be ready to cover things if frost is predicted. You can actually put in spring crops like spinach and lettuce as soon as the ground can be worked and have these ready to eat by June 1st-15th. Once the heat arrives they will become bitter and start to go to seed (bolting). They are easy to grow. Good luck!
    Here is a map.
    Map showing Last killing frost dates for the US, temperature ranges and temperature conversion guide - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't know when the starter plants arrive, but starting your own isn't to difficult and the seeds and palnting trays are out now. I just started my tomatoes, hot peppers and bell peppers last week and expect to see them break through any day now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I think the first live plants in the garden centers start showing up around the first of April. Here's a map. Most of the frosts aren't usually killing frosts that late, but they can damage. A row cover should be enough provided the plants are big enough.

freezemap_GHS.jpg

I'm gonna second the starting your own from seed. Space is the only real issue since you have to start indoors. In my house, the dining room becomes the green house because we have a 6' high, 8' long south-facing picture window. Absolutely perfect for the seeds. If you do go with started plants, I recommend finding a nursery with good stock. The plants I've purchased from the big box stores are just not as good quality overall.

Since your garden will move beyond your peppers, tomatoes, and cukes, I recommend this book: The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Edward C. Smith: 9781603424752: Amazon.com: Books. Only book you will ever need.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I am up north like you. The 3 crops you mention have to be planted after the risk of frost has past. That is going to usually be mid May for us. So you should start watching early May. Some years we have already settled into a summer weather pattern and the long range forecasts are all good, so I will put them out early. But a few years back some areas got a killing frost Memorial Day weekend and we had to replant. You will want to buy your plants a week or two before to harden them off before you plant them. Hope that helps.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

While there are many things that can go into the garden early, those mentioned are ones you don't want to rush.... As a rule of thumb, I start looking at the extended forecast about a week prior to Mothers Day. Plant those type crops too early and risk getting them stressed/set back and those that waited a extra week will be eating ripe tomatoes before you !

Use this time to do your homework. Learn what to look for when buying your plants. Also, learn what type of tomato does well in your area and more importantly, learn and decide if you want determinate or indeterminate types.

Already mentioned, but buying " The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" would give you all the information needed. It will cover everything from selecting your garden site to harvesting/storing your crops and everything in between.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    My tomato seeds have sprouted (indoors). Sweet corn seeds are in the mail.

I was the repeat champ in 4-H potato contest in the late '70's but have done no gardening since!:):

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I started my tomatoes, peppers, marigolds (for insect control) lettuce, and spinach in doors about a month ago. They are all up and ready to begin hardening off in my small green house now that the day time temps are getting better. (Tomatoes don't do well in temps below 50) Ill be planting beans, peas, broccoli, more lettuce, and cabbage today

If you dont have the room to keep plants inside, a natural light source, or grow lamp, You can build a small cold frame to place over your starters outside. Place jugs of water inside the enclosure with the plants. The water soaks up heat in the day and helps maintain it at night. The more jugs, the better heat retention.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I too have a small garden. I mainly grow tomatoes, (mostly heirlooms) since I cant seem to find decent tomatoes even in the farmers market any more.

1 cherry tomato plant like Sweet 100 will provide all the cherry tomatoes you need.

Big Beef is a good red slicer and can be found at the big box stores.

I plant cucumbers seeds direct. And I trellis them.

Last edited:

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    The advice given so far is all good. The only thing I have to add is that you might find someone who you know has planted gardens successfully for years and ask them to help you. Most people who are gardeners are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences with new people.

I still remember my grandpa squatting on the ground with his arms wrapped around his knees telling my brother and I how to plant our first garden. We were so small that we had to jump on the shovel to get it in the ground enough to turn the soil. Grandpa had a lot of Indian blood in him and he knew all about gardening.

I've been gardening most of my life ever since, except when I lived in an apartment briefly and when I was in the Air Force. I really enjoy the products of my garden. Canning and dehydrating food is also very satisfying.

Good luck.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    In the words of my dear old departed grandmother, "You don't plant nor go barefoot before Mother's Day!".

This is the rule to follow, I've started mine indoors, and just finished my garden boxes outside. My only concern, the plants started to grow very quick and now I'm a little worried, but it should all work out fine.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Plant the cucumbers from seeds. A couple of "hills" of cukes will be more than you will care to eat. Do the tomatoes and peppers from plants you buy from a greenhouse. Look for heirloom tomatoes so you can save the seeds and do your own sprouts next year. Mothers Day is when I usually plant my tomatoes and peppers. You can plant potatoes on St Patrick's Day. You can plant black seeded simpson leaf lettuce directly into the ground, right now. you can plant radish seeds directly into the ground in about 10 days. Greens like spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage can all be planted way before Mothers Day if you are so inclined. I think you can probably get away with planting peas directly into the ground in about a week.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    Second the cukes from seed. I mound my hills then plant three or four seeds on top, water, and place a wide mouth pint mason jar over the top until they emerge. I thin to 3 plants per hill. The jar really gets them up fast, works great on squash and Zucchini too.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Second the cukes from seed. I mound my hills then plant three or four seeds on top, water, and place a wide mouth pint mason jar over the top until they emerge. I thin to 3 plants per hill. The jar really gets them up fast, works great on squash and Zucchini too.

Love the jar idea...I will try that this year.

Three years ago I had two small hills of cucumbers, ran them up a trellis I made form some safety barrier fabric and a couple of T posts.

Those two hills (probably 6 plants) produced 400 cucumbers when I stopped counting them. We ate a lot, gave a lot away at work, they just went nuts.

I like slicing them, putting them in a bowl and dousing them with lime juice....then spread them out on a paper plate and hit with some chili powder. Mmmm Mmmmm....goes great with anything off the grill as a side dish.

Top Bottom