• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    OK, I'm needing some ideas to help to eliminate a groundhog who has set up camp near my veggie garden.
    He's a wiley one, always on super alert. I've only got one open lane to direct fire and I have to cross a large open area to affect that fire.
    So, what are my other options to eliminate the enemy?
    I have a perimeter hot wire around the garden approx. 7 inches off the ground. We have observed him going up to the wire and doing a Michael Jordon over it.
    Baiting and live trap are possibilities, but what works best for the lure?
    Any and all ideas (well, almost all) are welcome.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    OK, I'm needing some ideas to help to eliminate a groundhog who has set up camp near my veggie garden.
    He's a wiley one, always on super alert. I've only got one open lane to direct fire and I have to cross a large open area to affect that fire.
    So, what are my other options to eliminate the enemy?
    I have a perimeter hot wire around the garden approx. 7 inches off the ground. We have observed him going up to the wire and doing a Michael Jordon over it.
    Baiting and live trap are possibilities, but what works best for the lure?
    Any and all ideas (well, almost all) are welcome.

Where is his hole? Conibear traps are great methods to put them out of your misery. But be warned, if it is accessible to other animals that you don't want killed, it is indiscriminate.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I have a metal building about 30 feet from the garden, filled with firewood. He's somewhere up/in/around or under the wood.
    I forgot, there's an apple tree right next to the building and he's been nibbling on the one's on the ground.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    2mfwxlc.jpg

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    for a non chemical way, get the little lawn ornaments with the little spinners on it that spin when the wind blows. (air planes and stuff like that) the vibration from the spinner thing drives them nuts and they go away and bug your neighbors. I have a mini-wooden-wind mill that i use and it works wonders.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Lawn mower works great on them. Run a hose from the exhaust down into the hole and seal it off. Watch around the yard for exhaust smoke coming from other holes,(they usually have at least 2) and seal them off too. After about an hour or so, pull the hose and tamp the dirt tight in all of the holes, problem solved.

:popcorn:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I do seem to remember a trap that you stick into the ground, and once tripped it spears down into their tunnel. I don't remember the name or much else about it though.

My grandpa just stands outside with a potato fork and watches for the ground to move. :D

Top Bottom