• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Just wondering if anyone has used a jig to dimple the barrel. I was watching YouTube videos about attaching gas blocks and came across this:
    Gas Block Dimple Jig | BRD ENGINEERING

Thoughts?

I am new to AR building but want to put together as much as possible in a home shop. I understand that it can be done without the jig but seems that it would be so much more repeatable with the jig. I plan, if the first works out, to build at least two more.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've never bought a barrel that the gas block hole wasn't drilled. You might check with a barrel manufacturer to see if you even need it.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've never bought a barrel that the gas block hole wasn't drilled. You might check with a barrel manufacturer to see if you even need it.
    No this is for the gas blocks that use set screws instead of clamping. The jig cuts dimples to allow the set screws to get a firm hold.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't think the spacing for the set screws is a standard dimension. I have changed blocks before and ended up with marks in different spots. I have never dimpled though so it didn't affect me.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    At $60, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a cheap gas block, drill out the threads and use it as a jig?

On a related note, has anybody ever used one of these to make sure the gas block is aligned properly? There is a video at the bottom of the page that explains how it works. It's a neat idea and cheap, but I'm just not sure getting it aligned properly is really enough of a problem to justify any expense at all.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/ar15-gas-block-aligner-5-56mm/

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    At $60, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a cheap gas block, drill out the threads and use it as a jig?

On a related note, has anybody ever used one of these to make sure the gas block is aligned properly? There is a video at the bottom of the page that explains how it works. It's a neat idea and cheap, but I'm just not sure getting it aligned properly is really enough of a problem to justify any expense at all.
    https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/ar15-gas-block-aligner-5-56mm/

Take your set screws out, slide gas block on bbl, align gas block, use a transfer punch to mark your dimple locations, drill carefully. Now the dimples are exactly where they should be.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    seems silly to not have an indexing pin of some sort for the gas port.

There is. That is what the pointed set screw is for as it goes over your gas port.

To the OP, I have purchased one from BRD. I was like you and was wondering if it was 'worth it'. I can answer that easily with a "yes they are". I purchased the jig for the Geissele gas block. I took my time and now my gas block is perfectly aligned. I rest easily knowing it is aligned rather than eyeballing. When it comes to building ARs, I have learned you get what you pay for and it is sometimes pricey. I have upgraded all my tools such as using a Geissele Reaction Rod, MagPul Armorer's wrench, quality torque wrench, quality punches, etc. Like I said it is pricey, but that is the price you must be willing to play the game correctly.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    There is. That is what the pointed set screw is for as it goes over your gas port.

To the OP, I have purchased one from BRD. I was like you and was wondering if it was 'worth it'. I can answer that easily with a "yes they are". I purchased the jig for the Geissele gas block. I took my time and now my gas block is perfectly aligned. I rest easily knowing it is aligned rather than eyeballing. When it comes to building ARs, I have learned you get what you pay for and it is sometimes pricey. I have upgraded all my tools such as using a Geissele Reaction Rod, MagPul Armorer's wrench, quality torque wrench, quality punches, etc. Like I said it is pricey, but that is the price you must be willing to play the game correctly.

The Geissele Reaction Rod was on the list next. Thanks everyone for the input. I just worry about buying a single jig when companies use differing hole offset. Guess I will buy the one that seems to fit the most number of companies gas blocks.

Top Bottom