• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    Getting started a another AR build and noticed my barrel does not have a dimpled barrel to make sure the gas block is aligned perfectly and securely. Obviously I'm using a retention screw type gas block. Any ideas on how to do this myself? Or should I just leave it the way it is?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Personally I just tighten then down. If your worried about it line it up mark it and dimple it yourself. I've never had mine move without dimples so I never worried about it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    they sell a tool to mark and drill dimple location if you really need them..... I have never had any issues... I prefer the two piece clamp on style though... I just put it on and move it around while blowing into the barrel (plugging the chamber as well) until I get the least amount of resistance and maximum airflow then tighten everything down.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    they sell a tool to mark and drill dimple location if you really need them..... I have never had any issues... I prefer the two piece clamp on style though... I just put it on and move it around while blowing into the barrel (plugging the chamber as well) until I get the least amount of resistance and maximum airflow then tighten everything down.

I like the way you think. My first gun I eyeballed it and wound up blocking half the gas hole so didn't function right. Took it off used a ruler and made a line down the middle and lined that up with the hole on the gas block.

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    The barrel is super hard so you will need
    really good and freshly sharpened bits if you do it.
    Last one I did I just staked the Allen screws

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've used probably 15 of the YHM low pro gas blocks with the set screws over the years and I've yet to dimple any of them. Ill put a small dot of blue thread locker on them and have never had an issue.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I dimpled one slightly crooked.... there, I said it! Works fine though, I made careful pencil marks, measured for the holes to line up, and when I tightened the screw down it canted slightly..... very annoying. I've only had to do one, but next time I'll be slower and probably start with a smaller "pilot dimple".

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i use transfer screws to mark my dimples. once i check gas operation i replace the set screw with transfer screw to mark dimple location.

Top Bottom