Gas for a penny a gallon due to glitch: do you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy?

• Total voters

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thievery is stealing. This is underpaying. While perhaps also unconscionable, they are two distinct activities.

The legal definition and moral definition are not necessarily the same, but the dictionary definition will suffice.

steal stēl/ verb

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

If gas costs $3.40 a gallon and you pay $0.01, knowing that it is a mistake, you have just taken $3.39 worth of gas without the owner's permission. It's pretty cut and dried.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I missed that thread, but after reading it I am shocked at how few of those names I recognize :)

I know! Some come and go so quickly!

EDIT:^^^

thats-what-she-said.jpg

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The legal definition and moral definition are not necessarily the same, but the dictionary definition will suffice.

steal stēl/ verb

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

If gas costs $3.40 a gallon and you pay $0.01, knowing that it is a mistake, you have just taken $3.39 worth of gas without the owner's permission. It's pretty cut and dried.

And to reiterate my response to this situation (that I made in a different thread, which is why I was so confused for a bit): what is the role of virtue in the market? Even if everyone on INGO had the "character" or "integrity" not to fill up at one cent per gallon, would everyone else? If not, the guy is still out however many gallons that tank holds, and the net result is the same. Granted, the owner did not intend to give gasoline away for that little, most assuredly. The price didn't even include federal fuel excise tax, so to anyone paying attention this is clearly a mistake but it was a mistake recognized too late; the market had already stepped in. Hopefully - if his business survives this mistake - in future he will learn to check the results of fiddling around with the software, rather than relying upon some made-up word like "integrity" or "character" or "decency" to preserve his profit margin in future. Even if virtue is a necessary feature of civil society, what of the market? What impetus is there for consumers to willingly and purposefully pay more than they're able when opportunity presents itself? I've seen grown men brawl over access to a pump with a quarter's price difference from the rest of the pumps in town. Is it then logical to assume that people won't jump at the opportunity to pay next-to-nothing for gasoline when they get into physical altercations trying to save 25 cents per gallon? Rightly or wrongly, "integrity" or lack thereof, this guy is out a significant amount of cash. Who is to blame? Those who lack "integrity" and took advantage of an obviously wrong posted price, the owner for not double-checking his handiwork? Or is it a failure somewhere else entirely?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Highly depends on if I know that business is PRO-2A or Anti-2A. If that is not known, then I would not cheat them regardless of price. A product worth something doesn't loose (or gain) that value because of a sign....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Highly depends on if I know that business is PRO-2A or Anti-2A. If that is not known, then I would not cheat them regardless of price. A product worth something doesn't loose (or gain) that value because of a sign....

I am totally confused. The golden rule and 8th Commandment depend on the political view of a station owner? What if this was in Europe?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gracious. From what I recall with my rickety memory, the situation was that the station was closed except the pay at the pump function, and an error/glitch/asshattery had left the price at one cent/gallon for the evening. This was not advertised, it was not per se offered at this price, vs a sale price which is advertised. Technology had merely allowed it to happen and subsequently it was discovered by someone who felt no compunction in informing others. This is not the market speaking; that implies a buyer and seller freely agreeing on a quantity and a price. As in the case of the ammunition deal, there may have been an error of some sort in the ad. A lot of the catalogs will have a disclaimer that the seller will not be held responsible for typos, and if this one didn't, I bet it will next time.

Turn it around. It's your gas station. Would you just lay down and take it? Dinosaurs lived like that. Aren't we a little better than dinosaurs?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Do I notice the obvious error before or after I start pumping? If I noticed before, I'm going to a different station UNLESS I need to get gas. If I need to get gas or notice it after I filled it, I'd ask them if they'd like me to pay normal price.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    you bet your ass i would be there! if the station is open for business, there should be someone there to monitor. too lazy or oblivious to notice? not my problem - higher better employees.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    For all of us that would not fuel up, remember there is an emergency shut off on the building or at the pumps, hit that button and look for a number to call. I bet you might even get a free tank of gas out of the deal for saving the owner so many 1000's of dollars

Top Bottom