• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The furnace was making a bit of a growling noise momentarily when it kicked on. Now it's a steady rumble with a smell of burning rubber. It still produces heat, but we turned it off for now. It seems to only do it when the fan is on because turning the fan off and leaving the unit going makes the noise stop. I assume noise and odor are bad, but does anyone have an idea of how bad? New blower, or new furnace? $300 or $3,000?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Possibly a bad blower motor, if the bearings are going bad than the blower wheel can wobble around unnaturally. If it’s just the motor than those are in the $100-$200 neighborhood depending on size. Could be an airflow problem as well. Hard to say exactly without putting hands on it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    it your filter still in one piece?......had a call for the same smell the other day and the filter got sucked into the blower and pieces of it was burnt on the heat exchanger.....

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    it your filter still in one piece?......had a call for the same smell the other day and the filter got sucked into the blower and pieces of it was burnt on the heat exchanger.....

We had it checked out last winter and the tech said to switch to the washable blue filters in the floor rather than the replaceable ones in the unit. It's an old house with the big floor vents to pull in the air.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    those let through a lot of dirt......if it is a old house could just be dust/dirt on the heat exchanger....if you was closer i would come check it out.......i would get it checked if i was you....

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    those let through a lot of dirt......if it is a old house could just be dust/dirt on the heat exchanger....if you was closer i would come check it out.......i would get it checked if i was you....

Yeah, we will go that route. We turned it on for 20 minutes or so this morning to warm up the house a little. I don't mind the noise but don't want to cause any expensive damage. If it won't really make matters worse then we will leave it on here and there until someone can take a look.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    8-9 years ago I noticed a hot electrical smell when the blower came on. It turned out to be the fan motor over heating. Replacement time. Reminds me that I should get another spare.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I agree sounds like the bearings went. shouldn't be too bad to fix. Get someone you trust. Kick them out if they tell you you need a whole new system. I'd check and see if some of the hvac guys on here could help you out.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Update:

CM took care of us! I'm sitting here in a warm house for the first time in a few days. One day I will try to repay him for all of his help the past few years, but a cheeseburger will be a start! Mmmmm cheeseburgers...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update:

CM took care of us! I'm sitting here in a warm house for the first time in a few days. One day I will try to repay him for all of his help the past few years, but a cheeseburger will be a start! Mmmmm cheeseburgers...

Da Mouse rulez! He hooked us up with a new heat pump last month. (for a fraction of the cost of a dealer) I cant wait to see my electric bill since my old unit was in such bad shape. I had no idea how bad it was until I grabbed the fat pipe on the new one and cant hang on. The old one was probably generating maybe 100*. Now its peaking at 119*. Strip heat had to be running most of the time for the last year or two.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom