• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've always found it amusing that the myriad lovers of the 1911, who would vote for sainthood for John Moses Browning, love to poo-poo the .380 ACP. But .380 ACP was designed by who?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Yep Patton was a cool guy! He also carried a Colt SAA and a S&W .357 Magnum during WWII. He did carry a 1911 during WWI though. Wasn't browning's prior design pistol right before the 1911 .380?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But .380 ACP was designed by who?

Ummm, Gaston Glock? Justin Moon? Alexei Sudayev? C. Reed Knight? Eugene Stoner? Yevegni Dragunov? I'll get it in a minute.:D

Patton carried a .380?

Patton had a boatload of guns.

The .357 Smith that he carried is on display at the Patton Museum in Kentucky. As well as the sweeeeeettt ZB26 and bunch of other guns that were presented to him in Europe. Oh, there's even the slide action rifle that was used on an attempt on his life in Mexico.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Is/was there a clause that allows general officers to carry non-regulation firearms? Or was Gen. Patton in violation?

I didn't watch the video; if the answer was in it.......... my apologies.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is/was there a clause that allows general officers to carry non-regulation firearms? Or was Gen. Patton in violation?

GSP Jr. was not exactly one to worry too much about regulations. Did you ever see the uniform which he designed for tank crews?

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Yep Patton was a cool guy! He also carried a Colt SAA and a S&W .357 Magnum during WWII. He did carry a 1911 during WWI though. Wasn't browning's prior design pistol right before the 1911 .380?
    I believe he refered to that .357 as his "Killin' Gun"!!! :cool:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

General officers approve the regulations that get written, and they seem to find numerous special clauses and exceptions for furniture, travel, weapons, uniforms, etc that apply only to....general officers. ;)

Also, in Patton's time, the discretion allowed to officers and NCOs was considerably wider than today.

To my knowledge, general officers have always been authorized pistols of one make or another. Even Air Force generals, amazingly enough. When I was still in service in the mid 90s, the colonel leading our unit was promoted to brigadier, and as such was authorized to have an M-9. One of the other colonels came around and hit us officers up for a donation to buy him a custom set of grips for it that had special markings on it -- stars or the USAF seal or some such, I never did see them. I didn't mind, Gen Clay was a good guy.

Top Bottom