• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I believe you should always respond whether you feel it is a "low ball" offer or not. I have had people send me really low offers, then we ended up meeting in the middle and making a deal.

I think it's rude to just not even respond to the PM at all.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I respond to all offers, including the dreaded low ball, it doesn't cost anything to be nice. And you never know when that person just may have something for sale that you want, he/she likely will remember how you treated them.

Yes you can close deals with low ballers, and get more out of them than they offer. To some people it is some sort of "game" too see how cheap they can get something.
    I don't let it get to me, and yes it's worse on armslist.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I believe you should always respond whether you feel it is a "low ball" offer or not. I have had people send me really low offers, then we ended up meeting in the middle and making a deal.

I think it's rude to just not even respond to the PM at all.

:+1:

If your trying to sell something, any offer is a conversation starter. Negotiations have to start somewhere.

I tried to buy an HK94 on another forum. The add had been there for several days with a lot of visits, but not a single reply. I was more than willing to pay what it was worth, but not his asking price. One week after my offer I finally got a reply of "NO!". The conversation was over, and he could have sold it. :twocents:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Call me a low baller but...Last time I bought a rifle it was priced at $150. I was asked what I would give..answer..$80...He replied that he had to make some money..I agreed.. To make a long story, semi long...We agreed on a price of $100 out the door...Being welcome in a nice gun shop in Gas City priceless...Courtesy is the grease that keeps the wheels of dealing rolling...:@ya:....<><Duce

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    WAG

I'm gonna' to take a wild @$$ guess that there aren't a lot of people on INGO who make their living by writing. It takes a truly talented writer to clearly express emotions which readers can discern. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of cases here where somebody got wrapped around the axle over nothing. :dunno:

With that in mind, would somebody explain to me how to tell the difference between a written low-but-serious offer and an insult. It's not like somebody offered a pig and two chickens for your ultra-valuable-in-your-mind twice barrel shootgun! :rolleyes:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I would much rather get a very low offer that I can counter than get this: "What is your bottom dollar??"

I just want to reach through the computer and slap people when they say that. Make an offer, don't look at my list price then ask me to come up with another lower price.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't feel the need to respond at all. And I don't expect a response if the other party is not interested, either. I understand that negotiating is a big part of any collecting hobby, but dang, some folks have no shame.

I don't owe anyone anything. And if I felt the need to cast an insult back at them I wouldn't feel any better about the interaction anyway.

It's simple to me: If I want something, anything, I'm going to buy it. If I don't have the funds then I don't try to chisel down someone that has a price they clearly state is the lowest they go. Let it drop.

I don't expect something for nothing and don't care for those types that do want something for nothing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Maybe they are jerks but now they think you are, too. IMO, any offer deserves a response and responding to offers should be a requirement of use for any internet classifieds. It takes two people to have a real fight but, as you now know, it only takes one to cause a problem. A simple "Thanks for the offer but I can't go that low" could have saved you from being labeled a scammer and might have lead to an exchange resulting in the sale of the gun.

Being thought of as a jerk has never been a one way street. ;)
    I agree with this... even if it is an insulting offer its the respectful thing to do to at least give them a response. Never know, they may have been just giving it a shot to buy cheaper and are willing to pay more. If that makes you mad, fine, but at least let them know you aren't willing to go that low and you're not interested in anymore offers from them.

I've had times where I've sat on low-balls offers for a week or so while I gauge other offers but I always give a response. IMHO be the better person and just tell them....

Top Bottom