Gentleman, we have a winner (AR15 for wife)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    My wife mentioned to me last night:

"I like AR15s, you should buy me one for my birthday"
    Think she's a keeper.
    :rockwoot::ingo::ar15:

So. I have until August to save up for, find, and purchase a nice AR.

I've only had my hands on 2. The first one I can't remember its configuration, but the last one was a 16" M4 barrel. Nice weapon, but I think we (I think she'll let me borrow it some...) would be better served with an 18 or 20" barrel (unless that's somehow way more expensive).

Basically, this would be our first AR. I'm not too worried about "Match Grade" accuracy, a nice plinker would be perfectly adequate, preferrably below $800, and <$700 would be awesome. I will not sacrifice what we want for price though.

So, here is what I think we want.
    Adjustable length butt stock (I'm ~5" taller with commensurately longer arms).
    18-20" barrel
    Carry handle (just don't care for the looks of a flat-top)
    Other than that, just a "standard" AR15, the "generic" front hand guard is fine, just "normal" everything else. I'm not even picky on brand, as they all seem to be at least decent shooters (unless I'm missing something).

So, for those in the know about ARs, I have 7 months to pick one out.

I'll probably also be buying a .22 conversion just so we can afford to enjoy shooting it more, but AFAIK the conversions pretty much fit most of the available uppers, but something to keep in mind. I would buy just a straight .22 AR clone, but I want the flexibility to shoot 5.56/.223 if I need that extra "oomph."

I'll probably use this thread to collect suggestions, then ask further opinions about options that I think might work for us.

And of course, if it's not locked by then, obligatory pictures. If she's extra good, she might get it early if I find a good deal so I...er...I mean she can shoot it.:):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Based on your "mission" and criteria, it sounds like Olympic Arms might be just the ticket. I know 21st Century Firearms up in Bluffton carries them at good prices.

Indiana Supply Depot should be able to hook you up with a .22 conversion.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Consider yourself fortunate. My wife likes the looks of my AR but won't even touch it! Says it's scary.

I can't really offer any suggestions since I am new to the AR-15 world myself and learning as I go. I recently purchased a new S&W M&P 15X and have been having a blast outfitting it will all the goodies.

Be warned though, they are addictive and you might as well be prepared to buy 2! Have fun. :)

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Yeah, I was leaning towards that brand in the first place (never owned one, but sure read a lot about 'em)

Bluffton's a bit of a trip, my location is ~45 miles south of Indy. Got family in Fort Wayne though...hmm...they say it saves gas to combine trips :p

Will be asking the wife about the "AR show" on the 31st too, that sounds like an awesome idea. It will technically be "her" gun, so it's more important she likes it than if I do, and handling as many as possible before purchase is definitely a good way to weed out likes/dislikes.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    and both of those shops are at the gun show if you wanted to pick their brains. i know neither one of them minds that at all.

Good plan. Probably have to be the May one though. New computer and laptop this month for us (desktop is 6-ish years old and laptop bit it).

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't rule out 16" barrels either. You might find a good deal on one and they are real handy. I guess there is some recoil and terminal ballistics issues (perhaps accuracy too), but what would be your criteria for dismissing them? And 18" barrels aren't real common unless you're looking at a Designated Marksman type set-up, and that get's pricey.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I wouldn't rule out 16" barrels either. You might find a good deal on one and they are real handy. I guess there is some recoil and terminal ballistics issues (perhaps accuracy too), but what would be your criteria for dismissing them? And 18" barrels aren't real common unless you're looking at a Designated Marksman type set-up, and that get's pricey.

In .223 accuracy at the supersonic ranges (400-600 yards) will be better out of a shorter 16" barrel all other things considered (assuming same barrel diameter, etc) due to the barrel being stiffer for its length and thus having less vibration. That's a moot issue though unless one is getting into high precision shooting.

Were it I, I'd opt for a shorter barrel for her because at plinking range the extra 100fps or so won't make any difference at all and the shorter barrel upper will be lighter and easier to shoot and wield (as Dr. F points out).

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    CMMG has bargain barrel DI AR rifles at $599 (16 inch) and $699 (18 inch). Add a little more money, and you can pick up the new CMMG AR piston rifle or upper. Stag has one out for around $1100.

The piston runs a little cleaner and not as maintenance intensive for a beginner. Good user reviews so far.

Stag and Rock River Arms DI ARs are close to your price range also. DSA Arms has uppers for $275.

Recoil on the .223 should not be a problem. Muzzle flash and blast can be tamed with the right flash/compensator.

If she hasn't shot before, proper ear and eye protection are critical. I have seen more beginners run off from shooting, because of the noise and blast.

Congratulations on having a partner that will shoot with you. The .223 AR was a smart choice for her, for a start.

As an added benefit, she could defend herself also, if needed.

Last edited:

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I didn't know if longer would be more. I was wondering about the 18" because that did seem like an oddball (playing with brownell's online AR15 builder). I also hadn't thought about the weight factor, that makes a lot of sense, as one of her main complaints about my other rifles is the weight.

She has already been shooting a few times before. She likes my 92, she really likes the little .22 revolver I've got.

She tried the M44 and didn't care for it, but I can forgive that...it's a little...much for a novice.

Went with a friend and she really, really liked his AR, mainly due to low recoil.

Piston vs. direct impingement isn't that big a deal, I'll probably be doing all the maintenance anyway -- at least to start with.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I didn't know if longer would be more. I was wondering about the 18" because that did seem like an oddball (playing with brownell's online AR15 builder). I also hadn't thought about the weight factor, that makes a lot of sense, as one of her main complaints about my other rifles is the weight.

Flat top, 16" lightweight barrel, collapsible stock.

It occurs to me that the carbine I built for my kid would also make an excellent ladies' gun.

cal_ar_web.jpg

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    AR'S are my sickness, buy one of good quality and you will not be dissapointed. I would recommend Stag arms, Rock River, Bravo Company for reasonably priced good AR platforms. With AR's "you get what you paid for", so don't go too cheap, but you also don't have to go crazy expensive either. For some good advice, check out AR15.com, good luck.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My wife mentioned to me last night:

Think she's a keeper.
    :rockwoot::ingo::ar15:

So. I have until August to save up for, find, and purchase a nice AR.

. . .
    So, here is what I think we want.
    Adjustable length butt stock (I'm ~5" taller with commensurately longer arms).
    18-20" barrel
    Carry handle (just don't care for the looks of a flat-top)
    . . .
    I'll probably also be buying a .22 conversion. . .

Take a look at Cavalry Arms.

LOTS of color and configuration choices from them, at least one will make her happy. Cav Arms makes parts and full guns so you can get it any way you want it in any color you want, from wild electric green to tactical black. Pink is very popular with competitors (men & women), purple is hard to find and popular, other colors include red, flat dark earth, OD Green, etc. :ar15:
    P1060866.jpg

1-1-1.jpg

Top Bottom