• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    How would a person know if they are looking at a genuine LTCH vs. a falsified document? I have applied for the same, but I have never seen a license.

I am going to sell a weapon. I want to try to avoid the unthinkable.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You wont be able to know for certain.

If you're that concerned about "the unthinkable" have it transfered through an FFL.

Edit*: Of course you are not legally required to do so.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you are that skeptical of the buyer, sell to someone else or make them go through a FFL. If you believe they might forge a LTCH, then you have reason to believe they might not be a "Proper Person" and selling to them probably isn't the best idea anyway.

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    How would a person know if they are looking at a genuine LTCH vs. a falsified document? I have applied for the same, but I have never seen a license.

I am going to sell a weapon. I want to try to avoid the unthinkable.

If you never have seen one, that must mean you don't have one. You are selling private party to private party. If it was me, I'd make a bill of sale and receipt, include the serial number, copy the buyer's driver license, take pictures and make copies for the buyer and yourself. And have him use FFL for good measure. Others may chime in, but maybe it would be easiest just for both of you to go to FFL together and have FFL run him?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If it was me, I'd make a bill of sale and receipt, include the serial number, copy the buyer's driver license, take pictures and make copies for the buyer and yourself. And have him use FFL for good measure.
    :n00b: "If it was you", I'd buy from someone else. I'll be happy to show ID or LTCH to prove residency, but you're not copying my documents.

rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Is it possible for a person to have a valid IN LTCH without being able to pass a NICS?

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Is it possible for a person to have a valid IN LTCH without being able to pass a NCIS?

I guess the question is what does the ISP check when deciding to issue a LTCH or not? If it's NCIS, then I suppose if you were "clean" when the LTCH was issued and then later had something come up that invalided you to pass an NCIS check, you might be in that condition.

But would that invalidate your Indiana LTCH? I'm not sure of that answer...

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    This just seems a little paranoid to me. Either you sell to the buyer or you don't. It seems odd that you are asking about buyers having and LTCH when you don't even have one. :-/

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I've encountered two prospects who were reluctant to go thru FFL. Both did not want to pay transfer fee and insisted on direct ship (handgun). The deals fell thru after I quoted shipping charges. I'm not tore up over it. BTW, both claimed to have LTCH.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you're shipping, only ship to a ffl.

Face to face, ask the following:
    1). Are you an indiana resident
    2). Is it legal for you to own a firearm
    If they answer yes to both, you're ok to sell to them.

Asking to see their LTCH, copying any of their documents, recording their information, etc... Is overkill, and I personally wouldn't let you do any of that. I don't want you, the seller, to have my info, be able to look up where I live, and know that I have firearms in my house to steal at a later date.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This just seems a little paranoid to me. Either you sell to the buyer or you don't. It seems odd that you are asking about buyers having and LTCH when you don't even have one. :-/

FTW

As the OP demonstrates, you don't have to have a LTCH to own a firearm or buy one via private sale.

It's your property so you make the rules but if you're this concerned, FFL would be your best route. You will most likely lose some buyers who don't want to deal with all that.

Seems the progressive, MSM agenda of demonizing guns and gun owners is working, even within the ranks of gun owners. Nefarious characters are everywhere and are buying their guns from law abiding citizens! :runaway:

rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012

When I purchased the weapon, I was screened via a NICS. If I sell to a private buyer, I would like to have some indication that I am not selling to a violent criminal that could not pass a NICS. Calling that "paranoid" is ignoring risk and logic.

I get all the pitfalls of background checks. I understand (and agree) that the system likely has a high failure rate, as the NRA points out. On the other hand, if I take zero precaution, then I would be foolish.

And don't twist my words, citizens that are above the law have the right to purchase, own, and carry firearms. Period, end of story.

There definitely are not any criminals that would ever try to buy a weapon by sone means where they wouldn't have to go through a bacground check. Sure, got it, OK.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom