• ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Found these interesting. Thought I would share. George Washington said:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the peoples' liberty's teeth"

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are . . . the keystone under independence."

"The rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable."

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference . . ."

"Firearms (of private citizens). . .deserve a place of honor with all that is good."

Source: George Washington Quotes:2nd Amend.& Citizen-Firearms

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    the-second-amendment-george-washington-british-revolutionary-political-poster-1275189913.jpg

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I read a biography of Washington this last year. A real man of integrity. I certainly would question some of his military strategy during the war, but when it worked, it worked unbelievably well. His presidency was marred by infighting between Jefferson and Hamilton and rendered his overall policies much less effective than they could have been. Plus, he was trying to define exactly what the presidency would mean in future generations. Overall, he was a visionary concerning America.
    I found it interesting that he was a man of very particular habits personally. Very meticulous and exact and demanded the same of those around him. He wasn't very easy to get to know and seemed very guarded around most people. Very serious minded and strong willed in his beliefs. He didn't forgive easily once someone crossed him. Once committed to a cause he went after it fully, regardless of the personal consequences. Furthermore, in combat, he often had to be restrained by his aides from leading the charge himself and more than once he nearly was killed getting ahead of his own troops!
    Interesting man!
    My great, great etc grandfather fought with him at Trenton, so I had a personal interest in learning more about him.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I read a biography of Washington this last year. A real man of integrity. I certainly would question some of his military strategy during the war, but when it worked, it worked unbelievably well. His presidency was marred by infighting between Jefferson and Hamilton and rendered his overall policies much less effective than they could have been. Plus, he was trying to define exactly what the presidency would mean in future generations. Overall, he was a visionary concerning America.
    I found it interesting that he was a man of very particular habits personally. Very meticulous and exact and demanded the same of those around him. He wasn't very easy to get to know and seemed very guarded around most people. Very serious minded and strong willed in his beliefs. He didn't forgive easily once someone crossed him. Once committed to a cause he went after it fully, regardless of the personal consequences. Furthermore, in combat, he often had to be restrained by his aides from leading the charge himself and more than once he nearly was killed getting ahead of his own troops!
    Interesting man!
    My great, great etc grandfather fought with him at Trenton, so I had a personal interest in learning more about him.

I would appreciate the title and author of that biography. Sounds like a good read.

Congrats on the personal connection via your ancestor. Cool.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I would appreciate the title and author of that biography. Sounds like a good read.

Congrats on the personal connection via your ancestor. Cool.

Book was: George Washington by Worthington Chauncey Ford
    I found it at the library.
    Thanks about my ancestor. I only learned it a couple of years ago. His name was Purnell Houston, a grandfather on my mother's side

Also thanks for the Rep!!

Top Bottom