Georgia Street / Indypendence Day - Any issues with OC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am looking to go downtown to the Indypendence Day Street Fest later today. Being that it is July 4th and the celebration of our nation's independence, I would prefer to OC as I normally do. However, I have never been to an event on Georgia Street. Other than possible MWAG issues, is there anything keeping me from openly carrying a firearm to this event? I can't find any rules, policies, etc on the event page or any other page referencing the event.

I know the Super Bowl was a different topic all together, but what about something like this? Anyone have any insight?

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    I'm not a lawyer, but it's public property - I would think there should be no issues LEGALLY. You may draw some unwanted attention carrying OC though.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm not a lawyer, but it's public property - I would think there should be no issues LEGALLY. You may draw some unwanted attention carrying OC though.
    That was my thinking as well, but after finally finding the "rules" on their website it says:

No Weapons or Weapon-Like Devices
    No Knives, No Mace or Pepper Spray

I find it funny it doesn't specifically mention firearms.

The only problem I can see with this, even though it is public property, is that it is a permitted event. With it being a permitted event and being cordoned off, it may be looked at is if it is private property and they can set their own rules that can result in trespass if you don't abide by them. I do know that they are issuing pat downs prior to entry, per a friend of mine who is already down there. It looks like blatant OC is out, but I'm definitely not going downtown unarmed.

And to think, this is a holiday that is meant to celebrate our Independence and those Rights endowed to us by our creator, but I need to hassle with trying to determine whether or not I am able to exercise my Right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That was my thinking as well, but after finally finding the "rules" on their website it says:

No Weapons or Weapon-Like Devices
    No Knives, No Mace or Pepper Spray

I find it funny it doesn't specifically mention firearms.

The only problem I can see with this, even though it is public property, is that it is a permitted event. With it being a permitted event and being cordoned off, it may be looked at is if it is private property and they can set their own rules that can result in trespass if you don't abide by them. I do know that they are issuing pat downs prior to entry, per a friend of mine who is already down there. It looks like blatant OC is out, but I'm definitely not going downtown unarmed.

And to think, this is a holiday that is meant to celebrate our Independence and those Rights endowed to us by our creator, but I need to hassle with trying to determine whether or not I am able to exercise my Right.

I talked to the organizer a bit to try and further understand the public v private thing as to how they could keep weapons out. Apparently its some sort of short term lease rendering it private property for the length of the venue. I guess that makes sense, as if it was still public property how would you enforce the need for a ticket to enter? Hopping a fence isn't illegal and if its still public you can't be trespassed.

Top Bottom