• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I found this knife surfing on the Internet, and loved it from the pics I saw of it. Well everyone online was out of stock as soon as they were realeased. Bummer. So I was going to wait on the Knife Lady to get me one, but was walking through Walmart tonight and there are three of them. Needless to say I bought one. It is basically the same knife as my Gerber prodigy, with extras. It comes with a emergency whistle, built in Diamond sharpener, fire starter, built in hammer on end of handle, and is a cool color configuration.
    Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife
    I like everything about it, good knife at a descent price. Walmart has them for $50. Just wanted to share. Check it out.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    brother you should try and take it back if you can. they have been falling apart since their release w/ no real use. gerber really let there knives slip. in a couple older threads here on ingo i linked a couple posts over in blade forums on how they are not holding up at all. just a heads up in case you haven't used it and have the opportunity to ger your 50 bucks back and buy another knife

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I looked at it. I love the design.

Then I found out the pommels were falling off and the knife is pretty much just a piece of crap. Looks great, looks like it will do the job. Just doesn't hold up in the real world. Sad.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Gerber actually admits to releasing them before they were ready. If you can't return it to the store contact Gerber, they are offering to replace all of the "1st gen" knives with the new improved ones that are being released Feb. 28th.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It has everything you need to survive in a cushy hotel room whilst creating the illusion of a dangerous and unforgiving wilderness by using some tricky camera angles in the vacant and overgrown lot next door. :D

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Gerber actually admits to releasing them before they were ready. If you can't return it to the store contact Gerber, they are offering to replace all of the "1st gen" knives with the new improved ones that are being released Feb. 28th.

Is this true? I've beat the heck out of mine and nothing's happened to it but I'll take it back and get a new one. My son has almost worn out the ferro rod starting fires.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    yes its true. from the start they were just failing in normal conditions. gerber is offering to make it right but still sucks to spend money on something just to have them say damn we messed up send us your knife back and we will replace it in a month or so.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Hmmmm. Didn't know any of that, I must have missed the older post. Maybe I'll just send it to Gerber and get the newer better one. I don't think I'd put my life on a $50 knife to begin with, but I just like the features it has. It will make a good weekend camping knife in my opinion. I'll keep the Esee knifes handy for when the SHTF.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Suns-going-down-better-drink-my-own-pee.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Hmmmm. Didn't know any of that, I must have missed the older post. Maybe I'll just send it to Gerber and get the newer better one. I don't think I'd put my life on a $50 knife to begin with, but I just like the features it has. It will make a good weekend camping knife in my opinion. I'll keep the Esee knifes handy for when the SHTF.

i agree and in the initial post on these knives i said the features are very cool. its too bad the quality just wasn't with it. i mean it has a lot of features, the whistle, firesteel, some survival tips, sharpener, ect. and all of that would always be with you because its built into the sheath which is always on your belt. its a good idea just needs better execution for sure

gunfan72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    The newer knife might not be much better. One review I read said that when holstered a sudden impact from dropping caused the plastic inserts to pop out from the knife handle. For the high cost of the grylls knife I would expect more.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I can't find a place on Gerber's site or anywhere on the internet saying you can return your knife. Only, if it has broken, you can return it under warranty--is this what you guys are referring to?

Initially, I understood it to be more like a recall-that the first generation was being recalled and you could get one of the new ones coming out. But, all I can find is there warranty info: if it breaks, they replace it. My son hasn't been able to break it yet so I guess there's no reason to send it back in.

I still prefer my ESEE's, Grayman's and Randall's, though :)

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I am a sucker for all things "cool"! I have always loved my Gerber multi tool and Bear Grylls show so I had to have it. At first impression I like it. Nice ergonomics with a nice solid feel in your hands and some nice accessories. I havent tried it yet but looking forward to it during this years camping season.

Top Bottom