• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I've been looking at purchasing a Gerber Gator Jr. for my BoB but from what I have heard is that Gerber quality has gone in the crapper...... Opinions on Gerber's quality as of now...... I know that classic Gerber blades are fine but what about newly produced??

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    most new produced stuff is garbage honestly. they have had to recall like 3 of the bear grylls product line already. most of there stuff will break and not do a quarter of what it should. if your looking for a good machete for a super low price check out the condor line. i would say the golok or parang. I'm not sure if knife lady can get those or not. if you would like to buy something local you can get with her and grab a esee machete. they are condor blades with some nice micarta handles.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Knife Lady.... If you by chance read this can you please PM me with a pricing list for your about 10" blades (10" not including handle) I would much rather purchase from you and Brad because you two were awesome when we first met at the past 1500....... I will be attending this upcoming 1500 again and will definitely be stopping by again.....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The only Gerber Machete I would recommend is the Brush Axe. It the same thing as the Fiskars version, but comes with a nylon molle backed sheath as opposed to an injected plastic one.

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    you would be better off with a 12" ontario machete and a molded g.i. sheath cut down to length....my buddy reprofiled his into a drop point santoku style and its a cutter....plus the value of spending around 30$ for the whole pkg....im a fan of machetes and moras

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a Gerber machete and I love it. I got the full size version not the Jr but it can't be a lot diff. I have cut a lot of stuff with mine, I carry it when camping, hiking, and it is in my BOB. It might not be the best blade on the market but for $25 I'm very happy with it.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    most new produced stuff is garbage honestly. they have had to recall like 3 of the bear grylls product line already. most of there stuff will break and not do a quarter of what it should. if your looking for a good machete for a super low price check out the condor line. i would say the golok or parang. I'm not sure if knife lady can get those or not. if you would like to buy something local you can get with her and grab a esee machete. they are condor blades with some nice micarta handles.

UMMM I'm pretty sure the baer gryllz knife is the best knife ever made! they are reducing the numbers to make them more valuable and highly valuable!!!!!:n00b:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    sorry about that.........

on a serious note, I don't think I would purchase another Gerber. I've had a couple and the QC seems pretty weak (gritty action and too much blade play on their folders) which leaves a bad taste in my mouth for any of their other products

my :twocents:

Top Bottom