• Poll closed .

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was at a garage sale yesterday and spotted a fellow OC'ing his Glock 40. I really had a hard time keeping my mouth shut but I did. Now I am thinking about it I think I should have said something to the fellow. His gun was hanging several inches away from his body leaning out at the top. He was a big fellow. He had to pull his pants up at least 3 times while I was around him. So what would you have done? Tell him? Keep your trap shut? It just looked unsafe and not a very professional to represent gun owners.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Scared me a minute there. Luckily I wasn't at a garage sale yesterday.

Also, when did Glock start making a model 40?

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I would have kept to myself.

Ive tried stiff/rigid belts and they were uncomfortable :dunno:

I rarely carry on the waste but when i do its a lighter firearm so I guess its not as big of a deal.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Seriously though. It usually depends on the persons general attitude. If they seem approachable, I would probably give some advise. I have a Super Bio Belt and like to show it off.

If their attitude is narcissistic, I would just let them go.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Nothing wrong with something subtle like, "nice gun. I have one just like it. I didn't used to carry it much, but I found a really nice gunbelt and holster combo that keeps the grip much tighter to my body, which I find I like a lot. How about you? Have you had any trouble finding a good belt or holster?"

It might spark a conversation.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Because I'm a jerk and safety is my concern I wouldn't keep my mouth shut. I'd simply present a solution to his problem in hopes of helping him. If he doesn't like it then who cares.

Scared me a minute there. Luckily I wasn't at a garage sale yesterday.

Also, when did Glock start making a model 40?

Glock does make make a model 40, but that's not what he's talking about. It would be a tough gun to conceal.

Yup. G40 is a long slide 10mm Auto. For future reference: https://us.glock.com/products/all#

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ask how much bacon he had to eat to get a belt that size? Maybe he was expecting to grow into it? :dunno:

Getting involved with strangers is always situational. I find those situations are getting fewer and further between.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I would have said something. I would be friendly about it though and probably said something to the effect of 'Nice Glock. A good gun belt will make a world of difference in how comfortable it is to carry'. If he wanted to chat more, I'd talk to him for a bit. If not, I'd move on.

I would have said something though since some folks just don't know that gun belts exist.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Because I'm a jerk and safety is my concern I wouldn't keep my mouth shut. I'd simply present a solution to his problem in hopes of helping him. If he doesn't like it then who cares.

Yup. G40 is a long slide 10mm Auto. For future reference: https://us.glock.com/products/all#

Yeah. I guess I did know that. I do remember a conversation about what the model 40 would be. A 22 lr was the funny answer but it was also discussed that they would leave it alone so some people wouldn't get the model number mixed up with the caliber.

Now that I think about it, I started the "Breaking: Glock 40 announced:" thread. Oh well. It was late and I was tried.

Thanks.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I would have had to say something; I would just be as pleasant as I possibly could and engage him in conversation. He could have been fairly new to carrying and just didn't know any better. We were all new once and made mistakes while we learned and should all still be trying to improve every day. We all belong to a group that enjoys our 2nd amendment right and as such should be there to help each other out. I know if someone saw me doing something that was unsafe I would thank them for calling me out on it. The actions of one of us affect all and I don't want to give the anti's anything more to use against us.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the belly is big enough, it'll push the belt down regardless.

318.jpg

In that case, it's time for "Boca Raton Carry" wherein the belt is worn above the waist such the that girth of the waistal area is used to keep the belt up, rather than push it down.

golfer.jpg

...or maybe tactical suspenders:

P1020064.jpg

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To me it would depend upon several factors. His demeanor, other people around and/or with him, etc.

The reason for these is my desire to avoid embarrassing him. No matter how right I might be if I embarrass someone publicly they are not going to take my message well and any ensuing conversation will simply be counterproductive. Nobody takes a message well that embarrasses them.

Presuming I had the opportunity to approach politely and constructively I think I would try to. I would also want the message to sound helpful so that it is taken the right way. Something to the effect of, "I really appreciate your taking the responsibility to carry and protect yourself, but I couldn't help but notice you seem to have a slight problem with the holster. I used to have the same problem when I would carry and I found that X brand of belt was really good for me. Have you heard of it?"

This way I start the conversation with a compliment, and follow with a neutral observation and helpful comment. With this I hopefully put the gentleman at ease and don't come off as a jackass myself. By ending with a question I almost force the beginning of a conversation unless he is real antisocial jerk, at which point nothing I say would have mattered.

Regards,

Doug

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Personally, I stay out of other people's business unless it involves me or could involve me in some way other than my opinion. Therefore my vote was to say nothing.

If it's an issue as small as "I don't like the way that looks", I let it go, especially if I don't know the person (because really, what's the point?). Here on INGO I've seen threads where people suggest belts that are upwards of $100 and they think everyone should get one or else they are wrong and not worthy of carrying. While I agree that carrying safely is important, as long as the trigger is covered and it's not coming off of their belt, I could care less. Some people can't afford those fancy belts, I'm one of them (I spent $25 on my belt at walmart... flame away, but it works). I can buy groceries for at least a week with that $75 or more which I saved which goes a lot further for me than a belt. Maybe, like myself, his cheap belt does the trick so he keeps it.

I know 80% of INGO disagrees completely with me but I could give two ****s less. I use what I can afford and what works. I don't need a fancy belt to shoot straight.

Now if I was an officer who had to carry for 8-12 hours a day I would be looking for something more comfortable that keeps it tight to my body at all times and I wouldn't have to worry about it falling apart, but I'm not.

Top Bottom