Getting a new Glock... 45ACP or 357 SIG?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I own a G21, G30, and the G31.

The advantage of the G31 is it's smaller size (same as the 9mm/40) carries 16 rounds total. I shoot my G17 the best and the G31 feels exactly the same in my hands. It's a flatter shooting round. It has the "magnum blast" sound, to me that gives you the psychological "I have a bigger gun than you" effect.
    The disadvantage, Recoil is harder, but not so bad were I can't come back with a quick follow shot. Ammo is harder to find.

IMO the G21 doesn't have any real advantage of the G31. Ammo is easy to find and you have a better section The recoil is more manageable. I personnal shoot the smaller frame Glocks better, but like the larger frames better.

The disadvantge of the G21 is it's bigger size, but open carry it's shouldn't be a problem. It only carries 14 rounds.

I like and carry the G30. If I had a job that I have to carry, I would carry the G21, have a G30 as back up and carry G21 mags, since the mags will work in both guns.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    To answer the question about why the 30 may feel like it has less recoil. The 30 has dual recoil springs like the 26/27/33 where the 21 uses a single spring. I've shot the 30 for many years and a friend owns the 21. Every time we take them both to the range and compare them we both agree the 30 seems to have better recoil and second shot follow up. It may be that the 30 fits our hands better or it may be the balance, not sure.

This also seems ammo dependent. It holds true with the 230 and 230+P but when dealing with 185's they seem about even. Or course standard 185's feel like a cat sneeze in any Glock.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Own and shoot both xd-357, xd-45. Absolutly love them both. Durn, breaks over will finnisih later.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ok, back now. The 357sig with 125gr bullets is the equal to the 357 magnum with 125 gr bullets. The Sig don't preform with 147 or 158's like the Mag does, but the Mag with 125gr bullets has the reputation of the highest one shot stopper of all time at 96%.

It is not that hard to reload, the only thing is that it needs lubed every time to re-size, there is not a carbide sizer out there. If you ever loaded for a rifle with a bottleneck then it's no problem. If not then it's still not a big deal. OAL is not difficult either, base of the case to end of bullet.

To shoot the 357sig in my opinion requires real good technique. The 45 is much easier for me but I have big hands and the frame is bigger on the 45. The Sig is making me practice technique more than ever.

Lastly there are 357sig bullets out there, Montana Gold makes one and so does Speer. The difference between a 9mm and 357sig is the Sig has a heavier jacket due to its higher velocity this means more penetration. Read somewhere that the FBI is using it for that reason. The 357sig is built from the S&W 40 so a 40 cal replacement barrel is a easy option. Nothing else required magazine and frame are exactly the same. Look at the XD's there is a XDM option out there too.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Dillon makes a carbide sizer die for the 357. I own one. I don't lube cases.

9mm and 357Sig don't have any jacket differences. The bearing surface on the 357 specific bullets is a somewhat longer to accommodate the short neck. There are plenty of 9mm that work and work well for the 357 Sig. I use the Zero 9mm FP FMJs. They work well, even past 1400fps.

The 147s are a bit rarer to find in 357, but Hornady makes a factory load for it, runs at about 1250FPS and penetrates like crazy.

Comparison of Hornady TAP
    Tapcomparo.jpg

Oh, ETA, the FBI isn't using it, but Secret Service and the Air Marshals are. It's also the 2nd most popular cartridge among State Police Agencies, behind the 40.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks a lot guys. I thought i chose the 45 but people are coming up with great arguments for the 357. I actually like the way the 357 with the 124gr Tap looks. It has good wound cavity with good penetration but not too much.

Are any of you guys around Indy that own the 357 Sig? Would you be willing to let me shoot it if i pay for some ammo. PM me if you do

Lets see some more arguments. Does the 31 have the dual spring also or just single spring because its full size?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The 4th Gen 31 will have the double springs.

However, judging from my 3rd gen G17 to the 4th gen with the double springs, it's a gimmick that doesn't really do anything.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Now whats the main differance between the SF models and the regular models? I know its slim frame or something like that, im not sure. But does it affect round count or anything?
    It's not "slim frame" it's short frame. A short frame model will have less back strap then the regular models, giving you less distance from the web of your hand to the trigger. I thought I would want a SF model until I went to a meet and shoot and was able to shoot a regular 21 and a 21SF side by side. The regular frame actually feels better to me, so I am glad I waited for that opportunity before I made my purchase. SF does not affect round count or magazine size.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    I'd stay w/ the gun you have right now.

If you must change, go to the 21SF 3rd gen, w/ standard, not ambi, mag release and standard rail.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Dillon makes a carbide sizer die for the 357. I own one. I don't lube cases.

9mm and 357Sig don't have any jacket differences. The bearing surface on the 357 specific bullets is a somewhat longer to accommodate the short neck. There are plenty of 9mm that work and work well for the 357 Sig. I use the Zero 9mm FP FMJs. They work well, even past 1400fps.

The 147s are a bit rarer to find in 357, but Hornady makes a factory load for it, runs at about 1250FPS and penetrates like crazy.

Comparison of Hornady TAP
    Tapcomparo.jpg

Oh, ETA, the FBI isn't using it, but Secret Service and the Air Marshals are. It's also the 2nd most popular cartridge among State Police Agencies, behind the 40.
    What this graphic needs is an overlay of hat sizes. My head may be bigger than the 9mm penetration? hen again, having a bullet go 90% or more through my brain would still slow me down a bit.

Any of you guys remember Kurt from KKF and his .357 Sig AR, lordy it was hot.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Lets see some more arguments. Does the 31 have the dual spring also or just single spring because its full size?
    Nobody will argue with a man who is making hits with his gun. No one will stop to argue that you just shot him with the wrong caliber.

Every gun I ever bought, I shot first and knew I could make hits with it. If you love your gun and your caliber choice it will love you back. Handgun purchases are no different than buying underwear, it is very personal.

It is time for you to go shoot them. Most ranges will let you try multiple guns within the time frame of the rental fee you pay.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Another point to consider even though you said you wanted something larger than a 9mm: I think both the NYPD and the ISP use the 9 with 124 gr +P Speer Gold Dots. NYPD reports impressive results with this round. When you compare it to the supposed baddest of all rounds, the 125gr .357 at 1,400 fps, the Speer is right there.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    not concidering the 40 s&w?
    i carry the g22 on duty and the g27 off duty. its nice to be able to use the same ammo since the department provides it and what you give up in power you gain reduced recoil and follow up shots... just a thought since no one brought it up

Top Bottom