• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I've got an older commercial 48 belt drive bobcat mower. Love it but I can not get the damn blades off. Bought it last year and they need to be sharpened. I don't have a trailer to take it to a shop and a mobile mower guy I contacted wants $65 to come out and sharpen the 3 blades. Maybe that is my best option. For these mowers do people use airguns to get the bolts off?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep...I use an impact wrench and they usually come right off. Once, I had one seize up so bad my wrench didn't have enough guts to do the job. (I had to cut that bolt off).

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Wedge a block of wood between the blade and the deck and twist it off with a socket wrench. I've never had an issue getting one off that way.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I will be coming through your area on Wednesday, I can bring my cordless impact and pop them off for you if you can wait that long and will be around.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I'd double check with a local distributor. My bet is they are reverse threaded. Especially if you've tried & not gotten anywhere . The head of the bolt has a mark on them if they are, but I don't recall what it is. Of course it may be covered in grass or even ground off from close cutting.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I would just man up and take them loose with a ratchet and socket but I work with my hands daily so for some of the more dainty fellas around here an impact wrench should do the trick but do a quick google search to determine if deck drives have rh or lh threads... Even with an impact it will simplify the process....

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I jacked mine up with a motorcycle jack. +1 on the air impact and anti-seize. My bolt are right handed. I would think they loosen the way the blades turn. Don't take take last bit as law because I was standing on my head to get under the mower.

The $65 you save would buy an air impact, maybe.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    change your grip, pressure, and speed. Breathing into its ear and telling it how hard and long they are helps too.

shoot it with some pb blaster or similar product, let it sit for a while, then hit it with an impact or breaker bar.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've got an older commercial 48 belt drive bobcat mower. Love it but I can not get the damn blades off. Bought it last year and they need to be sharpened. I don't have a trailer to take it to a shop and a mobile mower guy I contacted wants $65 to come out and sharpen the 3 blades. Maybe that is my best option. For these mowers do people use airguns to get the bolts off?

I hate to suggest it but how many times did you double check righty tightly? On an upside down bolt, I've confused myself more times than I care to admit.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I hate to suggest it but how many times did you double check righty tightly? On an upside down bolt, I've confused myself more times than I care to admit.

I have the problem when changing my oil.. If I'm upside down and working above my head, things get a bit backwards.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I use an impact wrench with the proper sized six point socket because I work with my mind all day and it only takes a few seconds when you think it through and have the proper tools. Some of the Neanderthals here will tell you to man up, grab some manly tools, slip and bust a knuckle or two, teach the daughter a few new "working on the mower" words but hey, whatever turns your spindle bolt!!!!:laugh:

Top Bottom