• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    So I was thinking about doing this last year but other stuff came up. I'm planning on doing some serious research now to get my C&R so I can get some nice milsurps when I get the cash. Anyone got some advice or directions for this newbie? Links to how to's and such would be helpful as well :D

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Got mine a couple years ago. It's pretty easy.

Here's a good thread about the process: How to get a C&R license

The ATF form I found on their site was a fillable PDF. Entered all the info on my computer, and printed out multiple copies.

Don't forget that you have to send a copy of the application to your local law enforcement chief (know whose jurisdiction you are in -- county, city, whatever). I attached a cover letter basically saying, "Here is a copy of my C&R application for your file, as per BATFE regulations." I didn't hear a word from the chief of my local PD, but I have heard of some of them calling the applicant in for an "interview".

I have seen threads where people complain about the application fee. Wait until you see what having a C&R REALLY costs you. It is a license to spend money. :D

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    One place one the form is fairly tricky (I think on purpose). There are a group of "check boxes) and a small instruction below the area (can't remember the area) that states "you must initial beside each box checked". When I filled mine out - I missed that note, they sent the form back for correction, I corrected it (initialed beside the boxes) and returned it - cost a couple weeks time! It certainly seems redundant to me as you must sign the form to verify the information - why the initials? Guess its supposed to be a trick question.

You will need to have a "bound book" - bought mine on Amazon.

Once you get your license - DON'T SIGN IT. Scan it and make several copies. You then file the original, sign and date the copies and send them to the various vendors (I also carry some in my vehicle so I can use them at Pawn shops and GS's as there is no 4473 or NICS check required for C&R purchases when you have a license.

Some of the major vendors require a signed copy be sent to their business VIA Snail mail, most will accept a emailed or Faxed signed copy. I just signed one of my copies and re-scanned it and email the copy as an attachment to those that accept that.

By the way Midway and several other vendors give a "dealers" discount to FFL-03 license holders. Makes quite a difference when buying supplies. -

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's nothing like seeing that Brown Truck o' Happiness arrive and having the man hand you a gun!
    :delivery:

You will need to have a "bound book" - bought mine on Amazon.
    There's a number of ways to maintain a "bound book". Some go with record books, I go with software (NM Collector, not really a plug), and print out pages that get put into a binder.

Once you get your license - DON'T SIGN IT.
    Good info! - rep'ed :yesway:

The most annoying part is getting info from buyers and sellers. Most people don't particularly feel comfortable giving you name, address, D/L, DOB. However, by law you need to record that for C&R eligible acquisitions and dispositions no matter how you obtain them. That means even the that early century Remington single shot squirrel gun you inherited from Gramps must be logged.

Note, firearms acquired before you got your FFL03 are excluded from records.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    When sending a copy to local LEO no cover letter is necessary, just place in an envelope and send. My understanding of what agency to send it to is if you call 911 whom ever would show up at your door is the correct agency. If a LEO agency is requesting people to come in for an interview they don't understand the proper procedure. If they have an objection to your application the proper response for them is to contact the BATF with their objection.

IANAL and this has been my understanding and procedure for my C&R and two renewals. Jim.

Top Bottom