• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    All kidding aside, I featured a couple of familiar faces in article that was published in USCCA Magazine back in January. You might recognize these dudes - Caleb

header.jpg

If you're one of the many Americans who have made the choice to carry a firearm for self-defense, you've also probably realized that just buying the gun and carrying it around on your hip isn't enough. You need something more, and that something is training. One option is to go to "gun school," where top instructors will provide you with the fundamentals and advanced skills necessary to deploy your firearm during a life or death situation. But gun schools can be expensive, and often involve travel, two factors which can often rule them out for the average gun owner and shooter. However, there is another option that's available to many people. That option is competition, sometimes called practical pistol shooting.
    Practical pistol shooting got its start back in the '70s, when a guy named Jeff Cooper (you may have heard of him) and some friends decided that they needed a way to test the fundamental skills of defensive shooting against one another. Since shooting at each other was out of the question, practical pistol competition was born. Since then, it has grown into multiple pistol sports with their own sets of rules and equipment, but all tied together by the common thread of a shared ancestry. While each sport may differ slightly from another in terms of certain rules and regulations, each one, from Steel Challenge to International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) and even bowling pins, holds some benefit for the concealed carry holder.

What are the "practical shooting sports?"
    United States Practical Shooting Association
    USPSA is probably the most widely known of the practical shooting sports, being the US sanctioning body of the International Practical Shooting Confederation that was originally founded by Jeff Cooper. USPSA is the most "run and gun" of the shooting sports, as the stages tend to have higher round counts and more movement than its closest competitor, IDPA. USPSA represents itself as "solving shooting problems," where the competitor is presented with a course of fire, and is given great leeway to solve the problem as they see fit, provided all safety requirements are met.
    International Defensive Pistol Association
    IDPA was founded by former USPSA/IPSC shooters who felt that the game had drifted too far from its origins as practical pistol, and had become too much of an equipment race. IDPA courses of fire range from 1-18 rounds of ammo, and generally incorporate less movement than USPSA stages. IDPA is designed to simulate defensive situations, where the competitor is required to draw from concealment, make use of available cover, and engage targets in order of greatest to least threatening to the shooter. At the sanctioning level, IDPA emphasizes defensive shooting. The rule book itself states that a certain percentage of shots in main match stages should be fired weak hand, on the move, and so on.
    Steel Challenge
    Steel Challenge is known as "the fastest shooting sport on earth." Unlike IDPA or USPSA which use different stages at the match level, Steel Challenge uses the same set of stages for every sanctioned competition. This has allowed top level shooters to gain much repetitive practice on the stages, creating unbelievably fast times. Each stage involves engaging five steel targets at various ranges, against the clock. The shooter draws from the holster and fires until all targets have been hit, reloading as necessary. While Steel Challenge is possibly the shooting sport that has the least direct application to concealed carry and self defense, the same basic skills of drawing, acquiring a sight picture, and making precise hits at high speed form the bases for Steel Challenge.

Why should I compete?
    The biggest reason to compete in the practical shooting sports (using IDPA as the primary example) is that they reinforce the skills used in a defensive pistol encounter, and allow you to practice those skills in a simulated stressful environment. While shooting against a timer or buzzer in IDPA isn't the same as fighting for your life, teaching your brain and body to perform the complicated movements necessary to draw and fire a gun under stress--any stress--is a good thing. Additionally, the repetition provided by regular competition shooting and practice allows you to build muscle memory, another key factor in self-defense shooting.
    Competition reinforces and develops some of the most important skills in your arsenal, such as drawing your firearm from concealment. In IDPA shooting, the competitor is required to wear a concealing garment, such as a photographer's vest or light jacket, and wear the gun in such a way that it is concealed by the garment when competing.
    During a course of fire, the shooter will have to draw the firearm from concealment
    and engage the targets. The drawstroke is one of the most critical aspects of self-defense, and often the most overlooked. Many shooters tend to focus on what to do once the gun is already out, and not on the act of drawing and deploying their firearm. A top competition shooter can draw and fire a shot in less than a second, a skill that would be extremely useful in a defensive encounter.
    Another fundamental skill that you can train in competition shooting is the fast follow-up shot. Statistics show that defensive encounters where the gun is fired quite often involve firing more than one round; a reality which is reflected in practical shooting. IDPA and USPSA courses of fire almost universally involve firing more than a single shot at a target, with the occasional rare exception in IDPA. It goes without saying that delivering fast, accurate hits is a skill that concealed carry permit holders should seek.

What do I need to compete?
    Surprisingly, you can compete in all three of the major practical shooting sports with some of the most common carry guns in use. For example, if you carry a Glock 19 (9mm compact), you'd find a home in USPSA's Production Division, IDPA's Stock Service Pistol Division, or Steel Challenge's Production Division. Fans of the 1911 compete in the Single Stack Division in USPSA, Custom Defensive Pistol in IDPA, or Custom Defensive Pistol in Steel Challenge. In all three sports, there are also competitive divisions for 6-shot revolvers, so fans of the wheelgun can have a home as well.
    Beyond your firearm, in order to compete, you'll also need a good holster, lots of spare magazines or speed loaders, magazine or speed loader carriers, and the usual safety items such as glasses and hearing protection. The most valuable item to bring to a practical shooting match is an open mind--that way you're always learning something new and useful.

Ultimately, the greatest advantage of competitive shooting to the average concealed carry permit holder isn't the practice and trigger time gained, but it is the environment in which those skills are practiced. Practical shooters, like many in the shooting sports, are generally welcoming and helpful to newcomers, and more than willing to share their knowledge and experience with new shooters. The fun and friendly environment created by that attitude allows us to hone our defensive skills, while at the same time enjoying the company of our fellow gun owners.
    Caleb Giddings is the author of GunNuts.Net (www.gunnuts.net) and the host of Gun Nuts Radio (www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts) as well as being a competitive shooter and the current Indiana State Steel Challenge Revolver champion.

I snagged the photo of Bill during the IDPA Tri-State Regional match; Gary's photo I got during a USPSA match at ACC. The article itself is focused on getting non-competition shooters into the three most recognizable shooting sports.

Also, if you're not a member of the US Concealed Carry Association, I recommend joining...and not just because they pay me to write stuff. :D

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I do a lot of USPSA, 3gun and shooting schools. I work with people that ask me about it but when it comes down to it they just don't do it. Seems like they just like talking about it.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have a couple of friends that were diehard "concealed carry only" people that believed that playing games would teach "bad tactics" or something. That was until they shot their first steel challenge match. They still shoot Steel, but they shoot it with their carry rig from concealment, and more power to them for it.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I come to it from the opposite angle. I have always been a competition shooter first and CC second. I can say, without a doubt, though that if it wasn't for the skills I've learned and the confidence that I built while shooting USPSA, IDPA, SC, and 3/multi-gun I wouldn't be confident to carry concealed.

Shooting is good. Shooting under stress is better. Doing it better than the guy or gal next to (or in front of?) you? Priceless.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    <<put on flame suit>>
    NOTE I'M NOT AFFLICATED WITH Suarez International USA, Inc. OR EVER BEEN TO HIS COURSES.

In any case I recall an email from Gabe's bi-monthly newsletter in which he disapproves of these "gun matches" since it teaches the "wrong" type of mind-set for gun owners. I wish I still had the email but I deleted it.

His point was that in all of these matches one begins to focus on getting the best possible score (hits on target) and ensuring that your weapons is always ready, primed and polish and you are in a perfect setup. He says that these events are not training you for the real world where you may be up close to the BG, may have to take the fight to the ground, may have to use your weapon as a blunt object, where any hit to the BG counts in causing shock, etc...

His menalty is that it's going to be a street fight where there are no rules and when you go the "match" route yes you do learn some basics (pulling from holster, reloading mid-stream, etc..) but that overall you are not learning for what a real fight will look like.

I do see his point to a certain degree on it. Everyone still needs to learn the basics (carry, pulling from holster, reload under preassure, etc..) and think that any type of training/practice that teach that but do see that once you have that down you do need to go the route of "streetfighting" per say instead of staying focused on the competition side of stuff.

After all the only rule is there are no rules.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    <<put on flame suit>>
    NOTE I'M NOT AFFLICATED WITH Suarez International USA, Inc. OR EVER BEEN TO HIS COURSES.

In any case I recall an email from Gabe's bi-monthly newsletter in which he disapproves of these "gun matches" since it teaches the "wrong" type of mind-set for gun owners.

I can see that. But, on the other side you have folks like Larry Vickers, Kyle Lamb, Ron Avery, Jeff Cooper, Ray Chapman, Bill Wilson, Ken Hackathorn, Walt Rauch and a host of others that would lobby that these games do teach a necessary set of fundamentals. (yes, I know a few people on that list are deceased)

I don't, personally, refer to USPSA or IDPA shooting as training beyond basic weapon deployment, target engagement, and shooting fundamentals. The "defensive" part, to me, is best left to the classroom and specific instruction to those ends. But, I do think that one compliments the other.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Agree slow1911s that the matches do teach basic fundamentals (Gabe may disagree here not sure) but at least for me I think that the critical thing is once you have the basics down to then LEAVE these type of events since the next "phase" of your training should be "street fighting" as oppose to the focus of "getting a better score".

Sort of similar to Karate. Go to the school and learn the basics (kicking, punching, breathing, etc...) but then don't take the route of the competitions since you can be a greal karate champ but a lousy street fighter since you "fight" by a set of rules.

I think you and I are on the smae page just saying it in different terms.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think the IDPA/USPSA matches are far better than what the average gun carrier does.

That being visiting the range once or twice a year, punching holes in paper targets from 7-25 yards away.

I'd be willing to bet the "average" citizen does little more than that or maybe take a basic NRA course.

I'm the perfect example. I started carrying a few years ago, stumbled upon INGO early last year.

Went out and shot Friday Night Steel and good hooked again. That led me to shooting USPSA and taking training classes.

Since then, I've encouraged several friends of mine to come out and shoot FNS.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I agree with Hickman, and in fact that's the fundamental premise of the article. Going to a place like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, taking an Awerbuck course, etc is going to be the preferred model for learning to fight with your gun. But classes and formalized instruction cost a lot more money than shooting weekend IDPA matches. For joe-average-CCW guy, shooting a weekend match 1-2 times a month is going to put them head-and-shoulders above the amount of "training" that most people do.

Plus, shooting matches gives the benefit of shooting under stress. Sure, it's simulated stress, but it beats the no-stress square range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I come to it from the opposite angle. I have always been a competition shooter first and CC second.

Ditto, growing up in OH before CC, and then living in MD.

... people ... ask me about it but when it comes down to it they just don't do it.

Over the years I have decided that I cannot lead people to competition shooting. People who have that desire, for what ever reasons they have, will find it on their own. When I try to get people involved, the reasons for staying away are as long, twisted, and un-ending as a river. I no longer try to convince people to come. I will discuss my passion around them with an open invite, but making it happen is up to them. In the past I've gotten people to come along, but it was only for a time or two and I'm now convinced it was to get me to quit nagging.

<<put on flame suit>>
    Gabe's bi-monthly newsletter... "gun matches" teaches the "wrong" type of mind-set for gun owners.

Ah the old competition vs gamer debate......

and yet again I get to be belittled by people like Suarez who think I lack the mental capacity to recognize the difference between "make ready" and "I'm gonna kill you sucka." The only difference in mindset my gaming brings to the table is that I am now supremely confident in my ability to be faster and more effective in the application of lead to the fight, from any position necessary.

The rest has nothing to do with shooting.

I can see that. But, on the other side you have folks like
    • that would lobby that these games do teach a necessary set of fundamentals.

• Agree. I know considerably more people who credit the games for keeping them alive in their real life encounters than people who claim it was detrimental... actually, of all the mil/leo/contractors/fed agents/etc that I've competed w/ who've been in harms way (and that's quite a few), I've never heard the games were detrimental. ... I've only heard that from people who never compete. that tells me something. Frankly, I hope to never find out.

once you have the basics down to then LEAVE these type of events

Why would you then walk away from the basics? Shouldn't you ADD to your training?

-rvb

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I just started my third year of competitive shooting, and I never forget my first match. It is hard to describe the pressure the sound of that buzzer puts on someone that thought they could handle stress. I found that competing, has given me the confidence to carry more responsible and safely than I ever have. I also feel that the more I compete, the more skills I will acquire that will help me in real world situations.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I will admit for sure that I am biased, but I dont see how competition shooting can ever hurt your personal defense system. Being able to shoot fast, accurate and properly handle your gun under stress are key elements to be learned in competition and put into use as your personal defense system requires. There is no way to practice true self defense scenarios and it is my opinion that competition is the closest thing.

Competition drives innovation. Let us not forget that. If we didnt have competitions we would still be using Weaver stance only and be buying guns that needed to go straight to a gunsmith after purchase before they would run right or shoot well. Every advancement in technology that we have is directly related to some form of competition or another.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've carried a gun for 30 years. I've never been close to pulling my gun.
    I go to a match every weekend.

I think my time behind the gun at matches and in practice for matches has helped my shooting more than any training I might have acquired(and I've been to Awerbuck multiple times, Pat Rogers and Thunder Ranch). When the chips are down, I hope the guy that has my back shoots 500 rounds a week.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The Chips are down

If I could choose who to endure a tense social situation with I would choose a C class USPSA shooter that I don't know at all over most cops and over any concealed carry person who refuses to do games. Because they are much better than 95% of folks who fall into the other categories from what I have seen first hand.

Drawing and shooting accurately and quickly is pretty good for tactics and the competition crowd can do that.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wish I had a quarter for every time that I've heard "I thought I was a good shot until I tried (enter your favorite shooting sport here)".

Oddly enough though it is the gamers who get criticized for not being realistic or real world or being prepared for the street.

Like aruging that Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali would not stand up to street fighters because they would go by the rules. I guess the only ones who need to be fearful are bad guys carrying bells or shot timers.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I agree with Hickman, and in fact that's the fundamental premise of the article. Going to a place like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, taking an Awerbuck course, etc is going to be the preferred model for learning to fight with your gun. But classes and formalized instruction cost a lot more money than shooting weekend IDPA matches. For joe-average-CCW guy, shooting a weekend match 1-2 times a month is going to put them head-and-shoulders above the amount of "training" that most people do.

Plus, shooting matches gives the benefit of shooting under stress. Sure, it's simulated stress, but it beats the no-stress square range.

I agree. Id like to go to some of the training classes but with work commitments and other things in life I have to make choices.

I also feel there is some cynicism from the "experts". They dont make money by you going to matches. They want to charge you for their superduper training. Not to say its not good training but anyone who comes out against competative shooting is wrong. It still is a form of practice and no matter what some Zohan type says its better than being a gunshop commando.

Top Bottom