• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    On more than one level.

A few INGOers that I know personally know that both my step-dad and my dad-dad have had some fairly major health issues recently.

Thankfully my step-dad seems to have recovered and is back to normal.

Dad-dad, on the other hand, just hasn't quite recovered from his hospitalization about 6 weeks ago. Last Wed - Sat he was again in the hospital for the same issues. Coming to fruition is what's been on his mind a lot: He hates the hospital and is choosing to not go back. My dad and his wife will be beginning the process of starting home hospice care this week. I am definitely thankful that nothing is "imminent" at this point - but a requirement for hospice insurance benefits is a diagnosis of "6 months or fewer" to live. Granted, that's a pretty broad guideline, but you get the picture.

I knew the day when I'd have to face his mortality head on - but I didn't think it would be this past Saturday.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hear you. I have spent WAY too much time talking with doctors in the last few months, and WAY too much time trying to figure out how to get family the care they need. Our parents aren't supposed to be this old....WE aren't supposed to be this old. Sucks.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My dad isn't even that old. He'll turn 74 at the end of October this year. His wife is quite a bit younger than he is. I'm not exactly sure HOW much younger, but probably 15 years or so younger. If it weren't for her and her influence in his life and all her at home doctorin' and doing his at-home dialysis - He'd probably have passed away 10+ years ago.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    No prays or thought. How useless is that crap. But. I've been though it with dad and going though it with mom. It's not fun and I hope your strong. You need to be. But in the end life is still good. Just memories to get you though. But they did it. We can too.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    No prays or thought. How useless is that crap. But. I've been though it with dad and going though it with mom. It's not fun and I hope your strong. You need to be. But in the end life is still good. Just memories to get you though. But they did it. We can too.

Not at all useless. It's called compassion.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Don't remind me... spent too much time wrenching on the bike in the garage Sunday and my back's still sore Friday... muscle soreness used to be a 1-2 day thing. I'll be 34 this year :crying: there won't be anything left by 74!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My only complaint about growing old is what I call "early on-set rigarmortis".

That's when you sit still for a while and then try to get up and move again.
    Seems like most people get it sooner or later.

Top Bottom