• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm looking for some suggestions on other pistols to try out. I fired a few different ones with RobbyMaQ this past weekend and it was the first time I have ever really fired a weapon. Now that I've got those initial jitters out of the way, I want to try and narrow down my search for my first purchase down the road eventually. I'm too green to have any absolute opinions, but here are some things that I think that I am looking for in a pistol:

1. Compact or Sub-compact - I plan to carry concealed, but I haven't figured out where, yet. I like the idea of a smaller pistol that is easier to conceal as it will make me feel more comfortable that I'm actually concealed and less likely to be printing in a wider variety of wardrobe choices. It also gives me more options on where I can conceal it due to its smaller size.
    2. 9mm - I shot some .22s, 9mm, .380 and .40 while I was there, I believe. Even in a small handgun, I didn't feel that the 9mm was difficult to handle, but I don't know that I would want to go bigger for my first pistol for now.
    3. Ambidextrous - I plan to fire both left- and right-handed on a regular basis. As I am just getting started and only beginning to work on muscle memory, I think it's important that I can load, aim, turn off the safety, fire and reload with either hand. I don't mind switching things around if I have to, but having a safety on both sides would be preferable so I could at least turn it off and fire without having to physically change anything on the pistol.
    4. Single Action - I wasn't a huge fan of the double action handguns. The longer/heavier trigger of these felt awkward and uncomfortable. It might be something that I could get used to over time, but a single action felt better.
    5. Double Stack - A single stack isn't bad, but I felt better with a double stack magazine gripped in my hand.

I don't know when I will be able to shoot again, but I would like to at least start doing some research on what I would like to try next. I'm a total newbie, so if you have something to suggest for me, please be explicit with make, model and details. Also, assume that I don't know what all of the abbreviations are. I don't mind looking them up, but it just takes me longer to figure out that S&W is short for Smith and Wesson, for example.

Thank you in advance!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I suggest compact over a subcompact.

And I would also suggest shooting a S&W M&P 9c and a Glock 19.

Those are the 2 guns I always recommend.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. You would be surprised how easy it is to conceal a Glock 19. And honestly, dont worry about printing. Most people barely notice YOU, let alone what you are wearing, and even fewer notice something like the outline of something under a shirt.

I'll never forget the face of the woman who ran into me with a cart at WalMart. it was a glancing blow, and enough to really feel it but not enough to hurt. She managed to hit the slide of my Glock with her cart, so it was nearly metal to metal contact, and so it was LOUD. Her eyes got HUUUGE and she immediately said "OH MY GOD IM SOOOO SORRY! Are you OK?!?!? Are you sure?!?!?!" She thought she hit me really hard due to the noise and was concerned I was injured. Even then she still had absolutely no idea I was carrying. She thought it was bone she impacted and just couldnt understand why I wasnt doubled over in pain.

Beware the subcompacts (Glock 26 for instance). Fewer rounds, and with the shorter sight radius, they are harder to shoot accurately. I can conceal my G19 as easily as a G26.

I only carry my Glock 42 (subcompact single stack 380.... just slightly too big to be a pocket gun) when I need to be absolutely sure nobody even sees a hint of a print under a shirt. I cant hit very well outside 7 yards, but thats not what that gun is for.

Good luck!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not sure what all you tried. There is the polymer vs metal decision to make. The DA/SA vs. striker fired vs. SAO decision... Are you going to be willing to carry a gun without a safety?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Here are some options:

Ambidextrous, double-stack, single-action: that's a fairly unique combination. Makes finding the perfect pistol more difficult.

• I like the Ruger SR series (e.g. Ruger SR9c, which is 9mm, compact, ambidextrous, double-stack - but not single-action).
    • H&K makes the P30: 9mm, compact, double-stack, SA/DA - but the safety isn't ambidextrous (slide release and mag release are ambidextrous).
    • Sig Sauer makes the P320: 9mm, compact, double-stack, ambidextrous - but striker-fired.
    • FNH makes the FNS-9 Compact: 9mm, compact, double-stack, ambidextrous - but striker-fired.
    • Smith & Wesson makes the M&P9c: 9mm, compact, double-stack, ambidextrous - but striker-fired.

Bigguy5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Michigan City
    Both are awesome choices, I own both and would highly recommend also might try the Glock 26?

Love both my Glock 26 & Glock 30, 90% of the time I CC the 30 only slightly larger then 26, and I figure if I have I'm carrying a subcompact with less rounds why not make them 45's that count.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Yes. You would be surprised how easy it is to conceal a Glock 19. And honestly, dont worry about printing. Most people barely notice YOU, let alone what you are wearing, and even fewer notice something like the outline of something under a shirt.
    I'm trying to keep my options as open as possible for my first carry. I won't be able to carry while I'm at my day job (not allowed), but I want options for as many other possible scenarios as possible such as ankle, IWB, OWB, 3:00, 6:00, pocket and even off-body while driving for Uber. I know I'm going to go through that paranoid period when I start to carry and I will feel more comfortable with a smaller pistol to start with.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm sure you shot an M&P 9C (cuz that's what RmQ has) but I'm not sure what single stacks you shot. I use my M&P Shield for a carry gun. I do prefer to shoot the compact and full size more, as I have big hands and get a better grip with the double stack, but for carry IWB I prefer the single stack. I can shoot the shield well enough to hit a man size target. If you didn't get a chance to shoot one, we can work on that. But, I recommend that for the versatility of carry options you are looking for.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just beware there is no such thing as a "one gun for all situations". Once you get over that you'll be fine. Ruger LCP is fine for bad breath encounters as a pocket gun, but good luck reaching out accurately across a room or down a hallway.

To really get the optimum results, you may need to start dressing around your gun a bit. Nothing crazy, just maybe looser shirts, untucked when you normally would tuck your shirttail, etc. If you are a skinny jeans and athletic cut polo person, your truly concealed weapon will be severely limited, but switching out to a normal, untucked polo will hide a mid size pistol fine. So just minor tweaks.

And Im a fellow lefty... dont worry about ambi everything... I only need ambi on my 1911 due to its manual safety. Everything else I have adapted. I find it is easier to adapt to the right hand world than to do things differently.

For instance I have a Gen3 G19, so its not ambi. Yet I have no trouble with the mag release nor the slide release (I just dont use the latter). I can pickup another person's G19 and rock out without missing a beat. You wont find me for instance reaching for my left hand mag release on Churchmouse's G19 :stickpoke: because I already am used to a RH gun.

You are welcome to try any of my guns and holsters as you start looking for what works for you.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm going to throw a vote out there for the XDm Compact, it's my favorite EDC for what the OP described originally, especially during the winter months. The new XD Mod2 might be worth a look as well, and also, the new FNS 9C. I haven't shot the FN, but it seems to have gotten generally positive reviews.

Just some other options if you're willing to consider Glock and S&W alternatives that IMHO are solid choices. Also, Springfield has a pretty decent deal going right now for free gear if you purchase before Dec 31st.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Rent some of the guns mentioned and see what you like best. If you can't find one to rent check here to see if someone in your area will let you shoot theirs. Be sure to but New Ammo and pay their Range Fee. I helped a lady at Roush Range several years ago, she found she could shoot a 1911 and really liked it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My advice is worth what you paid.
    And the advice is, keep meeting INGOers, and shoot their guns.
    Bring ammo, you don't want to mooch. A lot of us don't mind spotting ammo for a noob, but if you're running through a buttload of ammo, bring some.
    Maybe buy a lunch or something for their trouble.
    Listen to what they say, but take it with a grain of salt.
    Because cars are like guns in that there are so many options, no one can tell you what you'd like.
    Most of us have started with one gun, and then moved on from gun after gun.

So, basically, shoot different guns. Try them out. Maybe take notes.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Glock 19. Very good choice for a first gun.
    Shoots like a full size, but is small enough to conceal.
    15 round mags, holster choices and accessories out the ying yang, and extra mags are $20.
    If you don't like it, there's plenty of Glock 19 fans on here. You won't have trouble trading or selling it to get something else.

For a beginner, I would not recommend a "pocket pistol" or sub-compact.
    while appealing to the new gun owner, they are not really for beginners.
    Hammer out your skills with a Glock 19, then if you want something smaller down the road you will have the skills to handle it.
    :twocents:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Just beware there is no such thing as a "one gun for all situations". Once you get over that you'll be fine. Ruger LCP is fine for bad breath encounters as a pocket gun, but good luck reaching out accurately across a room or down a hallway.

This problem is solved by attaching a Crimson Trace laser.

I recommend anything in the Springfield XD or Xdm lines. The new 4" Mod.2 Service model is very appealing.

A Ruger SR9c can serve well too.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Before any purchase I would seek out some basic training. There are numerous instructors here on INGO that can point you in the right direction.

Top Bottom