Not open for further replies.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If the actions of that Democratic governor while in office for a term solidified the resolve of the electorate to become more involved in advancing their political agendas and the silent majority became vocal then I would hold that the Democrats did more for the state than Holcomb

If I infer correctly that you're saying we should elect a Democrat to "show 'em" and teach the Republicans a lesson, it will still end up hurting us because the damage the Democrats will do shifting us further left won't be undone when the Republicans take over again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the actions of that Democratic governor while in office for a term solidified the resolve of the electorate to become more involved in advancing their political agendas and the silent majority became vocal then I would hold that the Democrats did more for the state than Holcomb
    OK this is why I have lost hope. This is so far off the rails as to be.....Well.....loss for words

We are doomed.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Really? Honesty? You're actually in favor of jeopardizing us and fellow 2A supporters and the entire state being in democratic control for 4 years. It's lunacy thinking like this that needs to be thrown out the window. You have to remember, as the Governorship goes, so does control of the state house and senate goes, that means for at LEAST 2 years the Dems would have entire control to alter the landscape in the state that would take eons to fix.

That sir is NOTHING to play around with, you need to have a serious sit down and take a minute to talk to Republicans from Illinois for little while. Why do you think Conservatives and Businesses are moving from from there to Indiana.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It's rationalization. 6 years under Hitler motivated the German people to become more involved in advancing their political agendas

Or 4 years under Trump! Look at all the political activism. Oh except for the side that says we are doomed. Not seeing them on TV much...except when they are complaining about other people who are out the advocating for their agenda.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Really? Honesty? You're actually in favor of jeopardizing us and fellow 2A supporters and the entire state being in democratic control for 4 years. It's lunacy thinking like this that needs to be thrown out the window. You have to remember, as the Governorship goes, so does control of the state house and senate goes, that means for at LEAST 2 years the Dems would have entire control to alter the landscape in the state that would take eons to fix.

That sir is NOTHING to play around with, you need to have a serious sit down and take a minute to talk to Republicans from Illinois for little while. Why do you think Conservatives and Businesses are moving from from there to Indiana.
    Holding the Governor's office does not put the state under the control of that party. Holding that office and a majority in the house and senate puts the state in the control of a party.

In fact, if they keep their super majorities in both, the Governor has little real power to do much.

I really doubt the dumbass has any chance of losing anyway.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene

I am a republican FORMERLY from Illinois and I lived there for 73 years and in the same house since 1977 till March of 2020. I am so happy to be in Indiana and away from decades of democrat rule including when there was a republican (RINO) governor. Those that think Holcomb is terrible should look to the history of Illinois governors.
    Back in the 1990's there was Jim Edger a republican who vetoed the bill that would have given Illinois the right to carry. Yes, it was on his desk and he vetoed it, just wanted to make that perfectly clear.
    Then came George Ryan who ran against a southern Illinois democrat. Historically southern Illinois democrats are very pro-gun and he endorsed "right to carry." I remember Ryan the republican's political ads showing "thugs" running through the streets carrying IIRC AR-15's. The text implied right to carry would lead to scenes like this.
    After Ryan came the democrat Blago who hated guns but was too busy stealing to much damage. Then another "D" Quin who won a total of three counties but the three biggest counties got him elected. That was when we got the court mandated "right to carry" and that is the only way illinois got it. He did everything he could to oppose and delay but couldn't stop it from happening.
    Our last republican governor was Rauner who was pro-gun but the democrat controlled house and senate kept him so bottled up with budget issues he had no steam for anything else.
    Those are just the gun issues I escaped from, I won't bother with budget, taxes, corruption and immigration issues. Don't tell me about a bad governor until you can top these. The time to get rid of someone is in the primaries, if you want to punish someone in November, shoot yourself in the foot. At least that way you will only hurt youeself. Jim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am a republican FORMERLY from Illinois and I lived there for 73 years and in the same house since 1977 till March of 2020. I am so happy to be in Indiana and away from decades of democrat rule including when there was a republican (RINO) governor. Those that think Holcomb is terrible should look to the history of Illinois governors.
    Back in the 1990's there was Jim Edger a republican who vetoed the bill that would have given Illinois the right to carry. Yes, it was on his desk and he vetoed it, just wanted to make that perfectly clear.
    Then came George Ryan who ran against a southern Illinois democrat. Historically southern Illinois democrats are very pro-gun and he endorsed "right to carry." I remember Ryan the republican's political ads showing "thugs" running through the streets carrying IIRC AR-15's. The text implied right to carry would lead to scenes like this.
    After Ryan came the democrat Blago who hated guns but was too busy stealing to much damage. Then another "D" Quin who won a total of three counties but the three biggest counties got him elected. That was when we got the court mandated "right to carry" and that is the only way illinois got it. He did everything he could to oppose and delay but couldn't stop it from happening.
    Our last republican governor was Rauner who was pro-gun but the democrat controlled house and senate kept him so bottled up with budget issues he had no steam for anything else.
    Those are just the gun issues I escaped from, I won't bother with budget, taxes, corruption and immigration issues. Don't tell me about a bad governor until you can top these. The time to get rid of someone is in the primaries, if you want to punish someone in November, shoot yourself in the foot. At least that way you will only hurt youeself. Jim.

And "JIM" wins the internet for the day.
    Get over yourselves peoples. In this we can not stand alone.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Those are just the gun issues I escaped from, I won't bother with budget, taxes, corruption and immigration issues. Don't tell me about a bad governor until you can top these. The time to get rid of someone is in the primaries, if you want to punish someone in November, shoot yourself in the foot. At least that way you will only hurt yourself. Jim.

Re-read all of that careful folks, and I do mean careful. The northern third of the state specifically "The Region" and Indianapolis can and could really screw things up.
    Remember 1 Term wonder Joe Donnelly as US Senator. Do we really want Democrats to have the remote possibility of affecting us. Trust me they will affect us, in more ways than one.

The Primaries is where a statement should be made about a candidate.

And "JIM" wins the internet for the day.
    Get over yourselves peoples. In this we can not stand alone.

Correct, but I nominate it for the week.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I'm not likely to vote for the Democrat nor is most of our state. However, I somewhat agree with your analysis. At the federal level, it's been demonstrated repeatedly that the federal government passes larger budgets when 1 party is in power, less when power is split. And if Republicans are supposed to be fiscal conservatives, our Indiana legislators sure didn't illustrate that when they keep raising taxes.

They aren't interested in constitutional carry because they know they don't HAVE to do that to get support from a conservative base. We'll all argue that "it's not as bad as the Democrats" thus they take no political risks. I really don't see why it would be so much worse having one aspect (house or senate or governor) of an opposing party when the supermajorities won't pass constitutional carry, get rid of red flag laws, or cut the budget.

I'll likely vote Libertarian, but in any case I don't see a big difference in outcomes unless of course we were at risk with going Democrat in every branch (we aren't).

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    It's not a fact that Perot cost Bush the election. Union folks who would have voted for Clinton voted for Perot in high numbers. But I will grant that the numbers in reality are probably close enough that it could go either way, and so the point is worth making in a discussion like this.

HW breaking his ‘no new taxes’ pledge and his gun control actions drove more than a few Republican voters away. Clinton’s time in office wasn’t all bad, but there are some lasting effects we’re still dealing with today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    HW breaking his ‘no new taxes’ pledge and his gun control actions drove more than a few Republican voters away. Clinton’s time in office wasn’t all bad, but there are some lasting effects we’re still dealing with today.

Clinton was a major cause of the housing bubble bursting when it did. There was a lot of crony related crap pulled just before he left office. He was worse than you know over all.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Clinton was a major cause of the housing bubble bursting when it did. There was a lot of crony related crap pulled just before he left office. He was worse than you know over all.
    How are you laying that at the feet of Clinton? Greed, stupidity, and Congress were the major reasons that all happened. I can't see where any President had much control over any of it.

DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    We are lucky to have Holcomb in office during this terrible time. Defunding police and then using crime as a reason to ban guns is on practically every democrats agenda. Now is not the time to take even a remote chance!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How are you laying that at the feet of Clinton? Greed, stupidity, and Congress were the major reasons that all happened. I can't see where any President had much control over any of it.
    Bush continued the policies of the clinton administration which led up to the crisis. It was in the Clinton administration that they started guaranteeing home loans to people who couldn’t afford it. Bush expanded it but it did start with Clinton. I don’t think it was their plan for the industry to do what they did. But Clinton and Bush are also complicit.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Bush continued the policies of the clinton administration which led up to the crisis. It was in the Clinton administration that they started guaranteeing home loans to people who couldn’t afford it. Bush expanded it but it did start with Clinton. I don’t think it was their plan for the industry to do what they did. But Clinton and Bush are also complicit.
    Complicit is far from responsible. There were a lot of factors that went into that crash. A lot of deregulation and a lot of people bending rules to make a buck. You can't lay the blame for what happened just on them

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom