• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    When we moved to our dream property, chickens were a wish but not a priority. I have finally got enough traction on other renovation and clean up projects that chickens are a priority.

Upon seeing the displays at TSC and having some questions answered, I find the biggest starting expense to be the metal trough that the chicks live in until I construct a coop.

The previous owner had horses so I have a big hard plastic trough he used to water his horses. Will that work to start chicks or do I need it to be metal?

Thank you.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    When we moved to our dream property, chickens were a wish but not a priority. I have finally got enough traction on other renovation and clean up projects that chickens are a priority.

Upon seeing the displays at TSC and having some questions answered, I find the biggest starting expense to be the metal trough that the chicks live in until I construct a coop.

The previous owner had horses so I have a big hard plastic trough he used to water his horses. Will that work to start chicks or do I need it to be metal?

Thank you.

Plastic will work. Be sure to put something down on the bottom for traction though. I like the rubber shelf matting (sold in rolls at the dollar store) or the black weed fabric used for landscaping. I cut it to size and change it at least a couple of times a day. Either of these materials can have the manure shaken off and then be hosed off, hung up to dry and reused many times. Newspaper can be slick and cause splayed legs and straw can be harder to clean up.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    ^^^This^^^
    Like mom said, plastic will work. The rubber shelf matting is awesome. Adjustable heat source, food & water and u should be good to go. Keep us updated.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    We used a rabbit hutch to start the chicks in. Red heat lamp (red so they dont see any blood). Used 1/4" wire mesh for bottom. In 6 weeks they have grown 10x what they started at.

Here is our heating controller...

http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Fahrenheit/dp/B00OXPE8U6

For $16.99 from Amazon, it controls heat/cool, even has 10 amp rated relays, includes a thermo-probe.

InkBirdinBox.jpg It fits nicely into a double gang deep plastic box along side an outlet. There are wiring diagrams on the Amazon page.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Before you get too far into this, if you have not done so, go to Mother Earth News and do some in depth reading. They have DECADES of knowledge archived on that site and it's the best resource I've ever found for all things related to off grid/homesteading.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" OSB. But that into (4) 2'x4' pieces. Screw those pieces together to form a box. I put that box in my garage, put a big enough piece of plastic sheet inside that it came up over the edges, then stapled the plastic to the top of the OSB. Filled the bottom 4" or so with pine shavings and BOOM instant *temporary* chick housing. Added a watering setup, a feeder, and a heat lamp and done.

I've got 11 chicks in it right now and so far so good.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I thought I had pictures of my set up. We made a cover for our tank to keep the cats out and to help contain the heat. We mounted the heat lamp so it couldn't be knocked off (screws around the edge hold it in place). The hardware cloth kept the cats out, but allowed the air to circulate. If the chicks got too warm under the light, they could easily move to the other end to get away from it but return when they wanted to warm up again.

Keep the food away from the water and the heat lamp. I learned the hard way that spilled feed that gets wet and then gets warmed up can be toxic to the chicks. I lost several turkey poults to botulism due to them eating spilled feed that got wet and spoiled. I also have marbles in the water tray to keep the chicks from drowning. I also found they drank more due to pecking at the colorful marbles.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I just got my first batch of chicks last Friday. They look so yummy I could eat them lol. My wife was scared at first but now she likes them. I have a little mason jar water thing but like the nipples. I plan on doing that for when they get bigger. Good luck.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I just got my first batch of chicks last Friday. They look so yummy I could eat them lol. My wife was scared at first but now she likes them. I have a little mason jar water thing but like the nipples. I plan on doing that for when they get bigger. Good luck.

Did you get the Cornish Rocks? If so you won't be disappointed.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So did you get chicks or eggs first?

Just trying to find out which came first the chicken or the egg.

My wife and I were talking about hens sitting on the eggs. We were surprised that the eggs will go dormant until the hen sits on them. So after she has a few of them, then she sits on them they all hatch at relatively close times.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    actually not sure we got a couple different types but my wife picked them out based on kid friendly ness LOL.

Most likely they are multi purpose birds then. Did you get pullets or strait run? Also if you end up with a lot of roosters you will want to be careful depending on how old your children are. Roosters can get real mean and can hurt small children. We had one or two that attacked my son and they transitioned from the field to the freezer at the speed of a 22lr.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    We always start our chicks in cardboard boxes. By the time they can peck through them, they are moved to the coop.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Update:

I purchased 15 Rhode Island Red chicks at TSC and created a setup similar to what Mom45 showed. I also converted a stall in the barn to a coop with galvanized chicken wire on the front openings, scrap 2 x 4's and 4" x 8" plywood on the top and more chicken wire to line the bottom and cinder blocks lining the edges.

I have no complaints, a lot of time, but between chicks, feed, light, bulbs, chicken wire and hardware I am in about $100.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Jet19912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    Fishers
    Highly recommend Barred Rocks, Cornish Giants, and Americana (For the colored eggs). But make sure your fence is at least 6 ft tall and you clip their wings early and keep them clipped. Sepperate by gender as soon as they resemble the producer of chicken strips instead of chicken nuggets.

Jet19912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    Fishers
    Also if you're looking for a solid long term chicken coup I used to have one of those tool sheds they have at Home Depot and I built a wall down the center so each of the double doors opened into a separate "room". Cut access doors/holes (10"x12") towards the back in both rooms leading into a divided fenced in area. They don't need much indoor room since they only go in there io sleep in the winter and to eat/drink. Make sure you have a heating pad under the waterer during the cold months.

Top Bottom