• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Happens all over the place. You choose a profession and then need the governments permission to actually work in it. And they usually charge you for the privilege of being allowed to work in your chosen profession. Might be something as simple as washing hair in a salon or as complex as being an EMT, but you still have to get their permission to work. Some places are worse than others for it, too. Hopefully we'll get government out of this business one of these days, but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

Getting the Government’s Permission to Work | The Agitator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jr8qHv4hCVw

Yet you advocate for the state's involvement in matters involving unions between individuals.

Amazing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Reminds me how much I love Underwriters Laboratories. They do great work.

Of course they do. Their continued existence depends entirely upon supplying quality results, unlike .gov subsidized bums who are assured of their positions and salaries no matter how sorry their performance may be.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You know it's bad when capable 16 year olds need a work permit from their school before even considering applying for a job. Why does the school care? They should butt out of my personal life and do what they're supposed to do and teach me and all the other prisone..err students things we won't use at all after we graduate.

In theory you're right.

But the school cares because they would like to see kids at least finish high school and graduate with good enough grades to not have doors closed to them before they've even had a chance to decide what they want to do.

Case in point.
    My girlfriend's son is bright and capable of being at least an A/AB student with even a reasonable, honest effort.

Instead, he intentionally doesn't do his work and typically barely squeezes by in his classes and typically FAILS one or two every semester.

Then he ruins the rest of the families Summer vacation because he needs to be taken back and forth to Summer School.

If he's ever able to graduate HS, his grades are so bad that he'll have a great many doors closed to him due to his acedemic performance, and his BAD academic performance greatly reducing any grants he can get to afford to go to post secondary schooling.

This kid has NO business having a job, when he refuses to even do his #1 job.
    That job being getting through high school and growing up to be able to support himself.

This kid is such a BUM, that he'll never leave home and will just bum his way through life if his mother lets him get by with it.

He has great potential but is instead a LOSER by his own choice.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    In theory you're right.

But the school cares because they would like to see kids at least finish high school and graduate with good enough grades to not have doors closed to them before they've even had a chance to decide what they want to do.

Case in point.
    My girlfriend's son is bright and capable of being at least an A/AB student with even a reasonable, honest effort.

Instead, he intentionally doesn't do his work and typically barely squeezes by in his classes and typically FAILS one or two every semester.

Then he ruins the rest of the families Summer vacation because he needs to be taken back and forth to Summer School.

If he's ever able to graduate HS, his grades are so bad that he'll have a great many doors closed to him due to his acedemic performance, and his BAD academic performance greatly reducing any grants he can get to afford to go to post secondary schooling.

This kid has NO business having a job, when he refuses to even do his #1 job.
    That job being getting through high school and growing up to be able to support himself.

This kid is such a BUM, that he'll never leave home and will just bum his way through life if his mother lets him get by with it.

He has great potential but is instead a LOSER by his own choice.

Is he like this in academics only? Is he a good kid? Maybe he doesn't see the need in spending his time doing stuff he'll never use again in life. Has he expressed interest in anything constructive? I do bad in school honestly because it isn't hands on.

School isn't interesting at all and every day drags by slowly. My best grade is my shop class. I'm not exactly proud of my grades but I work hard for what I've achieved. Maybe you guys should spend time together and find out what's up.

Edit: it's not like the school checks your grades to get the permit. You just walk into the office and get a paper slip.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To an extent, sure. But, in these cases it's the states doing the deed and setting barriers in place.

Not barriers my friend, revenue streams and job creation. More and more agency's to police us and fleece us.
    The feds. made everyone in the HVAC industry get a certification to buy and use refrigerant. This required a 2 day "School" and a rather extensive test. The school did absolutely nothing to teach anybody about refrigerant. It was a day and a half about treaty's and accords between country's on how best to regulate refrigerant. A complete waste of time and $250.00 of my money. They pretty much gave you the answers to the test, which was nothing to do with refr. as well.
    Revenue streams my friend. Job creation to indoctrinate and fleece we the sheeple.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You know it's bad when capable 16 year olds need a work permit from their school before even considering applying for a job. Why does the school care? They should butt out of my personal life and do what they're supposed to do and teach me and all the other prisone..err students things we won't use at all after we graduate.
    I have to agree with Mosinguy here on this one. When I was in high school, back during the Bronze Age, we did not need such stupid forms as this. :n00b:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would like to know how many bashing these things, actually have to maintain a license?

There's a reason I used the heart attack as a reference. A person giving MS to a patient with a suspect MI is not supposed to receive Morphine. Hell, most people know what to give someone. Aspirin. Anyone who would give Morphine could cause respiratory distress and heart issues would be exacerbated.

Seriously though, while I hate paying the fee; it serves a purpose....to keep a license current.

As an aside, our nursing programs grading scale in college was anything less than 75% was failing. There were people who did not pass classes and were not allowed to sit their boards. There are also people who aced the classes and failed the boards.

I understand less government is better, but seriously; I like knowing that my healthcare providers are board certified. Until you sit for a board exam, I don't think you will understand. :-)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is he like this in academics only? Is he a good kid? Maybe he doesn't see the need in spending his time doing stuff he'll never use again in life. Has he expressed interest in anything constructive? I do bad in school honestly because it isn't hands on.

School isn't interesting at all and every day drags by slowly. My best grade is my shop class. I'm not exactly proud of my grades but I work hard for what I've achieved. Maybe you guys should spend time together and find out what's up.

Edit: it's not like the school checks your grades to get the permit. You just walk into the office and get a paper slip.

Sure, he uses the same excuse I did and countless others for not wanting to do the work.
    "I'll never use any of this, and there's nothing there for me".

(Yet he shows ZERO interest in anything except X-BOX 360 gaming)

The problem with this logic is, as a kid I DIDN'T and most others that say this haven't a clue what they ACTUALLY are going to do when they reach adulthood.

Grades K through 12 are "academic basic training".

At LEAST do well enough that you can get into a decent university or trade school.

THAT'S WHY when the "sucky" classes come along, at least do JUST ENOUGH to pass them with a reasonable grade.

Instead of doing this, this kid now has to take classes he hates TWICE!

First flunking them during the school year, then having to take the same classes he hates AGAIN in the Summer.

Then all Summer we have to listen to him whine about how much he hates Summer School.

This kid just sits in his room playing X-Box and "making believe he's in the Army".

Ironically, the Army in real life likely wouldn't want him. :D

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You know it's bad when capable 16 year olds need a work permit from their school before even considering applying for a job. ...

But think of the children!

Imagine the above from the perspective of a home educator for which the public school has never had anything to do with their life, the life of their children, etc., yet they STILL have to get the stupid permit. Particularly irritating.

And we wonder why the "children" graduate from college when they're 22+ish and still don't know how to work.

My dad was running the farm when he was 12 years old while grandpa got a job in town. He's told me more than once he had more responsibility at 12 than he did at his first couple positions after college.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Most of these licensing boards were created at the request of the industry associations and not just created on a whim by the legislature. Requiring lawyers to pass the bar before licensing ensures that the bar can set the requirements for sitting the exam. It helps the law schools all the way to the firms who charge astronomical rates for their services. Same goes for every other licensing board.

Sometimes government is the useful idiot for industry, rather than the other way around.

Top Bottom