• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Was on the hunt for a 35 rem. Not a whole lot out there, mainly 336 marlin and I'm not crazy about lever guns. Went to the 1500 with a type 38 jap to use for trading stock with no luck. Almost sprang for one outright, figuring a 336 was going to be my only option, but I passed until I could sell something or trade. A few days later I found what will be one of my favorite pieces on gun broker, an early 1900s Remington model 8.

A day or so later, I'm pulling out of the scrap yard after unloading a 14,000+ lb machine that was pretty much junk and had not ran in over 7 years, with 13 min left on the auction, I'm bidding on it while leaving the yard.

Pics to come when I get to a computer this week.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Neat old rifles. Everytime I see one, I think of the old Remington ads. Especially this one:

D4PGCzJ.jpg

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Neat old rifle! I was not familiar with the Model 8. How's the scope with the offset that it has?

I think it's not bad, but I'm not a good one to ask. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I can shoot this one right handed but I can just barely get my left eye on it. It does shoot well left handed but it is, and has always been a little awkward to shoot left handed. That being said, the shells eject out the top and close in at about the 1-2 o'clock pos. They always land within about 2-3 feet of me as well.

The scope is a typical, old school, low power job with the thin wire cross hairs. I think it's a weaver but I have seen no markings. But I wouldn't trade the scope for any other, I think it is right for the piece and complements it quite well.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Thanks. I like to have as many of my pieces to have some kind of history behind them. Currently I think there is only about 5 of them that are "plain Jain", like 10-22, marlin 60, etc.

Top Bottom