• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Went to the range the other day with my new kriss vector 9mm pretty much the gun ran flawless expect with two of the 3 glock 33rd mags i have (now i do have one cheap Korean mag but the other two are Stock Glock mags with the Glock +2 cap .... oldly the Korean mag ran fine but both glock mags caused a number of FTL and jammed the action pretty good towards the very end of the magazine maybe 5 rounds left... the spring did seem pretty weak... Do the Glock 18 Mags have a problem being stored loaded? they had been loaded for quite some time maybe 6-9+ months... Should i pick up extra power springs? or is the problem somewhere else?

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I think the first order to trouble shoot would be remove the +2 and see if they function properly. If they do I suspect it's the +2 plate.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Buy new springs. Get extra power if you can find them. Do not buy the cheapest ones you find. The best springs made today are Wolff and ISMI. A semi auto firearm relies on springs to function. If you must leave double stack magazines loaded for long periods download them by 2 or 3 rounds. Your springs will last much longer.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Years ago I had the chance to shoot and observe a G18 run for the better part of a day. We had some OEM Glock 18 mags. We couldn't get the thing to run reliably with them but it ran great on G17 mags. My bet would be the +2 extension in combination with the stock spring might be the problem. At the very least I would try it w/o the +2 then start swapping springs after that. There's really only so much that can go wrong with a magazine.

Bob

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Buy new springs. Get extra power if you can find them. Do not buy the cheapest ones you find. The best springs made today are Wolff and ISMI. A semi auto firearm relies on springs to function. If you must leave double stack magazines loaded for long periods download them by 2 or 3 rounds. Your springs will last much longer.
    Picked up two springs from Wolff they say they are extra power but dont list the strength like the others. Hopefully these will do the trick
    Years ago I had the chance to shoot and observe a G18 run for the better part of a day. We had some OEM Glock 18 mags. We couldn't get the thing to run reliably with them but it ran great on G17 mags. My bet would be the +2 extension in combination with the stock spring might be the problem. At the very least I would try it w/o the +2 then start swapping springs after that. There's really only so much that can go wrong with a magazine.

Bob
    Well iv had zero issue out of my stock G17 mags as well that Kriss Vector ate them up... Just the G18's and only the last few rounds was this the case with your experience?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    IIRC they started puking about halfway thru the run. If you did 3-5 burst they seemed to be not too bad but towards the end of the mag they choked. We finally gave up and just ran G17 mags.

Bob

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you must leave double stack magazines loaded for long periods download them by 2 or 3 rounds. Your springs will last much longer.

OK, sorry to go all enginerd on this one, but I must correct this misunderstanding. The idea that downloading mags will make the springs last longer in storage is a complete and utter falsehood.

Repeat after me: "SPRINGS DO NOT FATIGUE FROM BEING STORED IN A COMPRESSED STATE." If this was true, then springs would fatigue with no rounds in the mag at all-- because the spring is still slightly compressed inside the mag.

Springs get weak from being cycled from compressed to uncompressed, back and forth. Now, if you said that downloading mags will make the springs last longer in use-- THAT is true, because there would be a shorter cycle from compressed to uncompressed (or, more accurately LESS compressed).

Overall, do whatever the heck you want-- springs are cheap, and they are wear items. Use them and replace them and get on with life.

Top Bottom