• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Both are great guns. I own more than one of each. I use to carry the M&P and switched back to the Glock after the Gen4 came out. I would suggest shooting each and seeing which you shoot best. There is not right answer here. If someone tells you any different they are blowing smoke.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    "Better" is subjective. Some people love Glocks, some people love M&Ps. They are both good guns. If you are happy with your G19, I'd stick with it. I have owned and tried to like just about every Glock model in the past 20 years, and I always end up getting rid of them. That grip feel is just funky to me, the only one that ever felt halfway decent to me was the Glock 36, due to the slimmer grip. I now own mostly M&Ps, I prefer the curved trigger, American grip angle and more rounded feel. If the Glock grip feels good to you, no reason to switch. See if you can find someone with the M&P and shoot it before you make your decision. Or, if you really want to feel conflicted, try a Walther PPQ. One of the best triggers of any polymer frame pistol, right out of the box!

I went into Grey Wolf today expecting to walk out with the 9C as I already have a Glock 17 and was looking for something just a bit smaller. It didn't feel bad in my hand until Scott handed me the Walther PPQ. Hands down it felt much much better and the trigger is butter smooth. He had a Sig there that had a nice trigger but my little finger kept falling off the grip. I ended up taking the PPQ home. I'll strip it and clean it in the morning then going to go to Parabellum and run some rounds through it. I don't think I will be disappointed.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have both the M&P pro 4.25" and the Glock 19. 19 is better for conceal carry due to slightly reduced grip length. M&P has better ergonomics. Both are great choices.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    H and k vp9 is better than the glock...period...

Our own MAC tested your theory in depth just last month. If you don't have time to watch the video, I'll give you a synopsis... At least a Glock or M&P wouldn't come to a full stop just getting wet.

I'm just say'n... If it's raining, you may want to leave your VP9 in the nightstand. :):

dsamples

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2015
    indy
    Here is my 2 cents from this question as well as from some other things said in the thread. I am not a fan boy of any brand of firearm. Both SW and glock are amazing firearms. The term best used to get to me all the time. When i bought my first gun, i wanted the "best". Trying more and more guns out, i learned a few things. First and foremost, if you have a glock 19, its not worth trading it in to get a SW 9 and taking a loss on it. If you like the glock enough to buy it, keep it. I carry a g19 as well. I shot them both and i liked the glock more. Both are amazing firearms. Alot of the people saying that the SW is better are fan boys. You have to take alot of things like a grain of salt. The G19 is an amazing gun with TONS of aftermarket options and if you like custom milling, the square bland slide makes for some serious milling options.

Now the next thing i keep reading is the praise for the VP9, Sig, and Walther PPQ. Rightfully so, they deserve them. They are excellent pistols and ive shot them as well. The VP9 and Sig are awesome but come with a heavy price point. If your cash flow isnt an issue, i would say own them both. The PPQ is alot less expensive and feels exactly like the VP9. There are so many great firearms out that it makes choices harder but thats a good thing.

At the end of the day, its all about what you want and POU. (philosophy of use) If this is firearm is going to be your everyday conceal carry, I prefered the glock 19 to the SW. Now that is me. You dont need the "best" carry gun because there isnt one. Everyone says that oh well this gun is more accurate or this gun is better on paper blah blah blah. Your carry gun doesnt have to be match grade accurate. Just needs to work when you need it. When carrying is it comfortable, do you like the way it looks and feels, and does it go bang when you pull the trigger. Everything else doesnt matter. You have a quality firearm in the g19. Dont waste money trying to get the best because 50% of the nation likes glock and 50% like SW. In other words, they both work plain and simple.

dsamples

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2015
    indy
    Thats what i meant. I noticed when i posted it, i didnt actually say that. i meant that alot of times when someone says one is better than the other they are normally fan boys.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've owned Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps. I know only have M&Ps.

It's not a question (in my mind) of which is better / more reliable, it's more of a question of which one fits my hand better, and the answer was and still is M&P.

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    the problem with this comparison is that the Glock 19 is a mid size pistol, and smith doesn't make a mid size pistol. I own both a 19 rtf2 and an M&P 9, both very accurate how ever the trigger on the M&P can be made way better by polishing, the 19 is a sponge with no wall no matter what you do. The 19 is a bit smaller but just a bit.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Started out with Glock and switched to M&P - haven't looked back. M&P fits my hand better and was a night an day difference for me vs my G19.

Both great guns and my G19 was amazingly reliable - I'm on about 18,000 rounds through my M&P and only hiccups have been related to a busted mag and box of bad steel case ammo.

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I would tend to lead toward the Glock 19. It seems to be the best of bother worlds. It's small enough to conceal carry but also large enough to fight with. Where on the other hand the Smith and Wesson's grip seems to be to long to conceal carry. And the 19 is also good for smaller handed people.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I guess it always leads to personal preference.
    I own Glock's and M&P's. Just my opinion but a M&P has the absolute worst triggers on the market.
    Put an apex trigger kit in a M&P and all of a sudden you have a decent handgun.
    Some may say the same of Glocks, but you can put just a connector in a Glock for much less money and improve its trigger dramatically.
    If I could only own one I would go with the Glock not wanting to drop a wad to get a decent handgun.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I've tried to like Glocks. I had a G30 but never really cared for it.. I loved playing with it, shooting it, and the idea of it, however I shot my XD's better. I'm gonna try to like Glock again though I think. I keep looking at G34s and drooling.... Long slide fever I guess.

Try to shoot a few and see what you like. I like XD's and 1911's for the most part, never shot a S&W sadly. That being said, I think If you train with anything long enough you will be fine. My first primary handgun was an XD40 and I shot the crap out of it and it feels natural. I don't carry that one, but any time I drag it to the range, it shoots "easy" for me. I shoot a buddys G19 occasionally. That's his first and only pistol and he can shoot the crap outta that thing. The good thing about a Glock is that if you find something you dislike about it, there is someone that has already made an aftermarket fix to suit your needs.
    If you own a Glock and shoot it well, I wouldnt get rid of it until you get trigger time with something else.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    I had a Glock 30 that I could not shoot at all. Traded it for an XD9sc and I could put every round into a 9" paper plate at 25 yards. So I bought an XD9 and shot it in IDPA for 3 years. Then found a great deal on a M&P 9 Pro. Oddly enough, it didn't feel as good in my had as the XD, but I could shoot much tighter groups.
    Whatever you choose, try to shoot several different models before you buy. You might be surprised.

Top Bottom